advertisement

Oh Britain, what have you done (part ∞+16)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still can’t read the name David Davis without hallucinating “Blind” in front of it. What’s that about?

Blind Willie Johnson. Blind Lemon Jefferson. But I very much doubt DD can play a guitar. Or sing. edit: apologies to steve67 who gave a much better answer.

Woman on Radio 4’s Any answers-a lawyer no less-just blamed the increase in knife crime on the EU.

Just when I think we’ve reached peak absurdity ...

Stephen

Last edited:

Anne Applebaum's piece is great. The headline says it all: The More we learn about Brexit, the more crooked it looks.

Aaron Banks has a question mark above his head in the article, in terms of his donations to UKIP, Leave.EU and where the money came from.

"And here’s the final irony: If Brexit was the creation, in part, of this new world of offshore money and political influence campaigns, Brexit may well ensure that it continues unrestricted. The E.U. is probably the only power in Europe — maybe even the only one in the world — with the regulatory strength to change the culture of tax avoidance. And since 2016, it has been slowly enacting rules designed to do exactly that. Britain, once it leaves the E.U., may well be exempt.

"British industry might suffer after Brexit, and British power will be reduced. But the gray zone — where politics meets money, where foreign money can become domestic, where assets can be hidden and connections concealed — will survive. Perhaps that was the point all along."

Applebaum could be right.

Jack

Anne Applebaum's piece is great. The headline says it all: The More we learn about Brexit, the more crooked it looks.

Aaron Banks has a question mark above his head in the article, in terms of his donations to UKIP, Leave.EU and where the money came from.

"And here’s the final irony: If Brexit was the creation, in part, of this new world of offshore money and political influence campaigns, Brexit may well ensure that it continues unrestricted. The E.U. is probably the only power in Europe — maybe even the only one in the world — with the regulatory strength to change the culture of tax avoidance. And since 2016, it has been slowly enacting rules designed to do exactly that. Britain, once it leaves the E.U., may well be exempt.

"British industry might suffer after Brexit, and British power will be reduced. But the gray zone — where politics meets money, where foreign money can become domestic, where assets can be hidden and connections concealed — will survive. Perhaps that was the point all along."

Applebaum could be right.

Jack

She's usually spot-on. The C4 News investigation is I suspect just the tip of this very murky iceberg - but whether the government or anyone will do anything about this I very much doubt - certainly not if the Tory right/ERG have their way. We can say goodbye to the NHS etc. for starters as a consequence.

What seems to me to be really tragic is that the post WW2 idealism and the resulting Welfare State is now long lost. It's ironic that the Dunkirk/Blitz/war-diet/Churchill etc. spirit is frequently invoked in the name of Brexit (and austerity?!) but my dad who went through the war, and landed at Normandy crossing the Rhine and Elbe in terrible battles, with many others voted for Labour after the war for two reasons: first to get away from the austerity of the 1930s, and secondly that a united Europe (which Churchill also favoured - again misappropriated by Brixiteers) would put an end to the kind of political situations which caused both World Wars.

How dare Farage, McVey et al invoke the spirit of the Jarrow March in the name of Brexit - it's an insult to those who took part and ironically will create the very economic conditions that the Jarrow marchers were protesting about....

The true point of Brexit?
PFM seems to be rich in surprising threads for me at the moment. This one to add to the Shamima Begum and Leaving Neverland threads. Am I right in thinking a fair few here thought those behind the brexit movement were bumbling fools seeking to restore national sovereignty and past glories rather than people working hard and effectively to preserve their wealth and current ways of doing business? I had thought that was a given and the baffler was why more than half the population that voted aligned themselves with the nonsense created to support it.

Woman on Radio 4’s Any answers-a lawyer no less-just blamed the increase in knife crime on the EU.

I think that's something to do with the French exchange when half the class comes back with a flick knife. Once we have left we will able to go back to the traditional English way of life and get them off the bloke who runs the dodgems at the fair instead.

I'm speechless after watching Marr this morning. After the DD warm up act, I actually saw Jeremy Cnut blame the last Labour government for everything. Unbelievable!

I'm speechless after watching Marr this morning. After the DD warm up act, I actually saw Jeremy Cnut blame the last Labour government for everything. Unbelievable!
He also said that “failure to deliver Brexit would be a catastrophe for the Conservative Party”. That’s what its always been about- his rancid imploding Party. Let’s help them get the Party bus over the cliff.

Am I right in thinking a fair few here thought those behind the brexit movement were bumbling fools seeking to restore national sovereignty and past glories rather than people working hard and effectively to preserve their wealth and current ways of doing business?

Very few of us here fell for any of it in the slightest. Even the swiftest background checks on those arguing for Brexit and the rights and civil liberties they sought to erode was evident as soon as private-school educated millionaire city trader/trough-feeder spiv Nigel Farage first opened his mouth, let alone when the Bullingdon Club/Eton/Oxbridge crowd such as Johnson, Rees Mogg etc turned up.

I never understood how anyone could possibly have fallen for the absurd ‘anti-elites’ patter, it was blindingly evident this was an ugly alt-right nationalist project right from the get go. The only thing we have learned since is just how fundamentally fraudulent and crooked it all was. It was obviously based on lies and xenophobia, but I wasn’t quite prepared for the sheer extent of the criminality behind it.

He also said that “failure to deliver Brexit would be a catastrophe for the Conservative Party”. That’s what its always been about- his rancid imploding Party. Let’s help them get the bus over the cliff.

Right-on! :mad: Hope as many as can will be on March on 23rd for a People's Vote, but also to demonstrate communal values and togetherness as before - really important that numbers are as many or even exceed those in October - and as diverse as possible geographically,age-wise, etc. Hopefully May's deal will have been dumped again by then, so all the more vital to display the real people's will! (48% and rising! ;) )

How dare Farage, McVey et al invoke the spirit of the Jarrow March in the name of Brexit - it's an insult to those who took part and ironically will create the very economic conditions that the Jarrow marchers were protesting about....

Completely agree. My old man was from Wandsworth and took part in the Normandy landings and various battles. I only managed to coax him to talk about it in detail once. He did so briefly and then stopped, overwhelmed by the memories.

He ended up marrying my mum, a German lady, just after WW II. They saw the EEC and EU as essential in helping to preserve peace in Europe.

It really highlights what spivs and liars Farage, May, Banks and the rest of the Brexiteers are. They have sold Brexit on the immigration/race card. This is why I don't have any time for Corbyn or Labour for going along with the Leave result.

Jack

My current favourite Orwellian Brexit fib-

“Our Precious Union” spouted by several Tory Brexiters in Parliament. Perhaps they should catch up with the opinion of their constituents-

“Polling commissioned by the University of Edinburgh and Cardiff University found that 75 percent of English Tory voters would accept the collapse of the Northern Ireland peace process “as the price of Brexit.”
https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...cc5492fef49_story.html?utm_term=.34ef480488c7

He also said that “failure to deliver Brexit would be a catastrophe for the Conservative Party”. That’s what its always been about- his rancid imploding Party. Let’s help them get the Party bus over the cliff.

Here we see that the Conservative's transformation from the party of business to the party of "Fvck business" is complete, using Minford to justify insanity:

It's a complete myth that a no-deal Brexit would cripple the British economy - Tell-Lie Graph

The ending sentence says it all:
I write this with reluctance, and much trepidation, but it’s no deal or the Tory party will be finished.

So, let's make sure that no deal is off the table and then we can sit back and watch the Story Party destroy itself.

Completely agree. My old man was from Wandsworth and took part in the Normandy landings and various battles. I only managed to coax him to talk about it in detail once. He did so briefly and then stopped, overwhelmed by the memories.

He ended up marrying my mum, a German lady, just after WW II. They saw the EEC and EU as essential in helping to preserve peace in Europe.

It really highlights what spivs and liars Farage, May, Banks and the rest of the Brexiteers are. They have sold Brexit on the immigration/race card. This is why I don't have any time for Corbyn or Labour for going along with the Leave result.

Jack

That's right Jack. What a shyster that Corbyn fella is. He should have just said "f@ck your referendum and democratic vote, it's all bollocks and I'm ignoring it". That would have allowed the right wing media to hail Corbyn as a hero. Oh, hang on a minute . . .

Here we see that the Conservative's transformation from the party of business to the party of "Fvck business" is complete, using Minford to justify insanity:

It's a complete myth that a no-deal Brexit would cripple the British economy - Tell-Lie Graph

I can only read a couple of paragraphs of this without a subscription, but here is a distillation of the most telling bits AFAIC...

‘Like almost everybody who voted for Brexit, I wanted... I certainly assumed... I thought... I expected... It wasn’t to be.’

All guesswork and leaps in the dark, in other words.

The ending sentence says it all:

So, let's make sure that no deal is off the table and then we can sit back and watch the Story Party destroy itself.
Coincidentally Andrew Mitchell MP was wheeled out today to also tell us no deal Brexit wouldn’t hurt as much as we might think. The EU would cave in once we took them to the wire on 29 March.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back