advertisement

Bill Evans, Waltz for Debby

efp

pfm Member
One of my favourite cds but it suddenly occurred to me on listening tonight that Bill's piano was way off to the right of the stereo image but all the piano trios I can recall seeing in person have had the piano at left stage. Drums central and bass at right. Anyone else out there familiar with the piece? Have I got something flipped? Or just my head?

No, your head is right, as is your system. Live At The Village Vanguard, which has reportedly been recorded at the same series of concerts, is the same.

Thank you very much by the way as I just found out that my channels had been reversed for a week ;)

The stage at The Village Vanguard is a tiny corner of a triangular room and players are squeezed almost on top of each other. The piano trio I heard there had no stereo image at all!

I think the complete sessions are worth getting, it has the three live sets that 'Sunday...' and 'Waltz...' are from on three seperate CDs.
I thought this made more sense than the CD reissues with different takes of the same tune. Marginally clearer sound too.

Feedback much appreciated gentlemen. It was at one of those rare transcendental moments late at night when the system sounds absolutely perfect and unimprovable that the thought struck me, and sent me straight back to earth and thinking about cabling. Very annoying.

The sound on the 3 cd issue is better, particularly the 'alternate' versions, which were originally issued panned hard left and right. It's also chronological, whereas the original albums were picked to feature LaFaro's playing, who had just died.

God knows how big bands fit on the VV stage. I spent an amazing evening there drinking margueritas on the front table with my feet on the stage.

I love Bill Evans, I have the Village Vanguard record, people are actually chatting while a genius is at work. Been to the Vanguard a couple of times, love it.

Here’s a link to the version everyone should own! This really is a stunning album, one of the high-watermarks in the high-watermark festooned history of jazz. Just effortless telepathic playing, the Bill Evans Trio never scaled these heights after the untimely death of the bassist a couple of weeks later. I’d also never consider any piece of audio kit auditioned until I’d played it, this is a true reference recording!

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Here’s a link to the version everyone should own! This really is a stunning album, one of the high-watermarks in the high-watermark festooned history of jazz.
If you are in no hurry it’s worth tracking the price for a while. I’ve looked up my Amazon order from Nov 2017 and I paid £21.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I have a version in vinyl I think, audiofool pressing, sounds great. I also have an xrcd of Explorations which is also superb.

Quite a tragic backstory to Bill Evans really, he was quite the athlete in high school, usual drink & drug Jazz tropes unfortunately

Here’s a link to the version everyone should own! This really is a stunning album, one of the high-watermarks in the high-watermark festooned history of jazz. Just effortless telepathic playing, the Bill Evans Trio never scaled these heights after the untimely death of the bassist a couple of weeks later. I’d also never consider any piece of audio kit auditioned until I’d played it, this is a true reference recording!

Listening to it now. Sublime music. My only regret is that they didn’t put the bass in the middle to separate it from the drums.

Listening to it now. Sublime music. My only regret is that they didn’t put the bass in the middle to separate it from the drums.

That hasn’t bugged me I have to admit, the only thing that I find a bit odd is there is some rather obvious bleed from the drums in the piano mic so when the bass drum or ride cymbal is really hit they do kind of move in the soundstage from left to right. Evident in the drum solos where Motain is hitting a bit harder. There is a very similar thing on Coltrane’s Blue Trane somewhere where IIRC the sax fader is turned down after a solo and the drum kit moves as a result!

I have to ask this: whilst I love the album(s), the cymbals on both my Analogue Productions “Waltz For Debby” and Riverside (or so it claims, it’s a 2008ish reissue) “Sunday At The Village Vanguard” LPs sound, um, sizzly. Is that the recording, or did I get repeatedly unlucky?

advertisement

Back