advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00111010)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah, found a new toy?
Maybe you should enter a "recurring task" in your mobile phone: Ask John weekly (or why not daily) for a status update.
I'm pretty sure he's working on the project all the time. And he's certainly very excited when he's kept from his work by destructive nerve saws like you.

But more regular updates from John would also be good. ;-)

I agree Fred, there is no point in asking John for an update as we'll just be spun yet another yarn with some random date about when it'll be ready.

Go to the first page of this part of the thread and you'll see on June 9th 2018 John said he thought he'd have a board in 60 days.

On page 13, August 10th 2018, John said PCB's in 30 days.

On page 32, 9th November 2018, John said assembling PCB's at Christmas.

4 years on the trot we've been told it'll be ready for Munich.

These are just a few examples of many, many promises which have been given and not materialised over the past 5 and half years.

John has also said recently it is all coming together, finally ...requesting assistance from some of us to get the software interfaces prepped; I believe him this time, even if it’s just me

I agree Fred, there is no point in asking John for an update as we'll just be spun yet another yarn with some random date about when it'll be ready.
Agree it is a total waste of time pressing for an exact date.
John has also said recently it is all coming together, finally ...requesting assistance from some of us to get the software interfaces prepped; I believe him this time, even if it’s just me
Munich will be interesting this year.

Go to the first page of this part of the thread and you'll see on June 9th 2018 John said he thought he'd have a board in 60 days.

On page 13, August 10th 2018, John said PCB's in 30 days.

On page 32, 9th November 2018, John said assembling PCB's at Christmas.

4 years on the trot we've been told it'll be ready for Munich.

These are just a few examples of many, many promises which have been given and not materialised over the past 5 and half years.

However John has finished projects, I get the feeling if he is pushed for a date he can finish but I am on the point of writing off the cash and if something turns up it's a bonus.

Russel,

Sorry - we seem to be of opposing views, so to help me keep focus on the project with a positive attitude I'm adding you to my "Block list" so will no longer see your post.

If you have any questions then please PM.

I have not written anything off (maybe the DETOX as I always wanted it internally anyway) ;-)

Paul,

The Detox development funding can be folded into the cost of the MDAC2 option if ordered with the DAC (Advanced Clock Option 1) - the internal "Detox" mode is far more powerful (and more interesting) - it will be the subject of my PhD research once I start it towards the end of this year. The internal Detox mode can be upgraded / expanded via firmware updates as my research progresses.

Part of my thinking is that those will Advanced clock options 1 and 2 can be actively involved in the research - with feedback WRT observed sound quality. The most difficult aspect of the research will be combining "Subjective" listening tests with technical perimeters, having a large Data set (well I suspect say about 50 MDAC2's will have both options installed) is important for statistical analysis.

Boards that will ultimately be installed in the FDAC will required both clock options... and maybe the Tube option.

I must very much thank Uwe for his offer of help :)

Uwe - sorry I have not replied yet to you (very rude) - today we have issued the Front / rear panel mechanical design as we need to build the front panels (with Touch panel) so the company who will work on the foundations of the UI can start working (with hardware) - once they have hardware up and running (QT running on the CM3) then we can start to work on the design of the UI.

The challenge I face is how to communicate all the features / modes with you - when I have no idea myself (not had the time to think how to design the UI) - at the moment we communicate with the many sub sections of the MDAC2 development hardware via serial UART / PC connection and run small Jave Script type apps for hardware development / debugging. This is OK for engineering but now we need to work on an end user UI.

I might be that at Munich (if your planning on attending) we can "all" sit down with the PC / MDAC2 hardware and go though all the features and try to putting together an overview of the UI.

I'm also hoping that once the company developing the UI's QT foundations start working on the software there will be some organic growth (time spent) putting basic UI blocks together and then hopefully (Uwe) can tidy these up and make them "Pretty" :)

M-DAC umpteenth listen:

Liking the Optimal Spectrum filter these days. Timbres seem true to the instrument.

@beammeup I'm using wired ethernet only and its stable.

I've removed the stock software and installed DietPi (very stripped down linux) + HQPlayer NAA. Discrete DSD DAC means HQPlayer everything.

@dtd - Do you have any hints/tips for replacing the stock software? Did you just dd a new image across with replacement dt-blob.bin and dt-blob.dts?

Thanks, Simon.

edit - I know about rpiboot to access the eMMC.

Last edited:
Eminently driveable in fact. Ferry across the channel gives a good break, and then a good drive well into Germany. Overnight stop and final leg to Munich not so long. When I was younger I drove from Worcestershire to Milan city centre. Mind you parking was a nightmare.

Also once drove from Western Brittany to Hamburg - one short bed stop in Belgium on the way.

Last week we issued the 3D files for the MDAC replacement Front / Rear panels for the MDAC2 upgrade. I'm hoping these will be ready for Munich.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4uvywzin7lhqp6i/mdac_front.PNG?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e9opz5jf6bpv1zc/mdac_rear.PNG?dl=0

For the MDAC2 front panel I reluctantly had to make the decision to replace the Volume knob with a 7 function button / knob array... there is a rotary "Dial section" in the center that can be used as the level control - but its not as usable as the MDAC's knob.

There is also a "touch slider" option on the touch panel for Volume level - but I prefer the feel of a real Volume control knob.

On the larger FDAC panel I'm planning on returning the knob inconjunction with the 7 Function array (I'm working on a solution for a HQ knob feel)....

For the FDAC I wanted to use a larger (Wider) LCD panel, but it would require a new UI design over the MDAC2 - and in all honestly I'll be happy when we can complete the MDAC2's UI without the extra development requirement for a second UI for the FDAC...

A second advantage of using the same LCD on MDAC2 / FDAC is that the expensive LCD panel can be transferred from MDAC2 to FDAC once we are in the position to supply FDACs.

Sadly, the smaller MDA2 style LCD looks alttle unbalanced on the wider FDAC front panel...

Last week we issued the 3D files for the MDAC replacement Front / Rear panels for the MDAC2 upgrade. I'm hoping these will be ready for Munich. ...

Hallo John

You are approaching the completion of the electrical parts. You also know which add-ons should be offered for which product.

Maybe it's time to publish a list of options. A time series is also necessary.
e.g.
* What are the expansion levels for the MDAC2?
* Who is interested in which level of the MDAC2?
* Who wants an MDAC2 and then updates the FDAC?
* Which expansion levels are available for the FDAC?
* Who is interested in which FDAC expansion level?

For example, I skip the MDAC2 and wait for a FDAC that has all "my" desired options already integrated. Including the wider LCD Panel ;-)
Today we as well as you simply only guess in many matters (Related to quantities).

In order to understand the basic structure and the expansion stages, I would like to have a basic description of your ideas, realization and their mutual dependencies.
I know copyright and so on.... Perhaps you can describe this in a way that is generally understandable and that no trade secrets will be revealed.

Last edited:
I'd also be interested in a list of options/dependencies. including what can be carried forward to the FDAC. I spent a while searching this thread earlier, and couldn't find the info. After experiencing Volumio on the MiniStreamer, I'm veering away from the onboard streamer option.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back