advertisement

Three cartridges made audio technica based on the AT95

audioflyer

No going back once you heard a ceramic cartridge
I’ve been looking for a reasonably price cartridge with a removable stylus, so which one would you choose?

So, I decided to have a listening session with the following:-

audio technica At-VM95E

Linn K9 with NOS stylus and later with the VM95E stylus (The K9 is from my cartridge collection)

Goldring E3

So here is the specification for the three cartridges they are all made by audio technica.

32307040907_b1ddbf37da_b.jpg

All the above specification was found on the manufactures site or review sites.

I know the VM95 has some nice stylus option.

The Goldring E3 could do with some more stylus options

The K9 always had a nice stylus.

Listening review to follow...

Sharif.

Thank you, Craig. Interesting. I use a K9 body with an AT95e paratrace stylus. It has about 400 hours use, I have read they should be replaced at 600 hours. I've enjoyed using it and was simply going to get another when the time arrives. It's currently priced at £205, I guess these new AT95's offer alternative options.

They appear to be a better fit for the K9 than the original AT95e which looked a bit ugly but it is not clear how good a fit compared with the original. Anyone tried it to have a view?

I prefer the original stylus on the K9 to the AT95e stylus but the top range new versions may be an option if the fit is good.

Why not shoot for the VM95ML or Shibata? Will play most records without a sweat and will absolutely not get in the way of the PRaT.

They appear to be a better fit for the K9 than the original AT95e which looked a bit ugly but it is not clear how good a fit compared with the original. Anyone tried it to have a view?

I prefer the original stylus on the K9 to the AT95e stylus but the top range new versions may be an option if the fit is good.
Another thing with fitting the AT95e stylus onto a K9 body besides wonky aesthetics, is that it’s no longer a K9, the biggest (only?) technical difference is stylus. The new styli are interesting and if you have an ageing K9, then the higher level styli could make for a very fuss free replacement.

Why not shoot for the VM95ML or Shibata? Will play most records without a sweat and will absolutely not get in the way of the PRaT.

Agreed. At the least get high enough up the range to get a decent nude-mounted tip rather than some shank-mounted thing that will have far higher tip-mass.

Thank you, Craig. Interesting. I use a K9 body with an AT95e paratrace stylus. It has about 400 hours use, I have read they should be replaced at 600 hours. I've enjoyed using it and was simply going to get another when the time arrives. It's currently priced at £205, I guess these new AT95's offer alternative options.
You are welcome Nigel. I would have thought that, at 4 x 70μm, a Paratrace would last even longer than 600hrs. On a related note, audio-technica have recently published the following under 'VM95 Series - Styli compatibility' on their site...

'Around 500 hours for a conical stylus, 300 hours for an Elliptical stylus, 1000 hours for a Microlinear stylus, and 800 hours for a Shibata stylus.'

Of course, they don't reference any relative increase in distortion @15kHz, as do Jico with their SAS, which would be helpful.

Looking at tip profile major and minor radii (R/r), Paratrace (and Van Den Hull which it approximates) would appear to be geometrically closer to Microlinear. Perhaps an AT-VMN95ML tip at £129 would be as good on K-body as is your 95P?

BTW, the AT-VMN95* styli on K9s pic above is from The Audio Files eBay listing; the same outfit that sell the Paratrace stylus for the AT95E.

Reactions: mww
Food for thought, Craig. I assume the Expert Stylus Company carried out the work for The Audio Files, for the paratrace, probably in a limited supply.

Apologies to Sharif for the slight thread diversion and I very much look forward to reading your review too. Pretty impressive that you have a NOS K9 stylus!

Another thing with fitting the AT95e stylus onto a K9 body besides wonky aesthetics, is that it’s no longer a K9, the biggest (only?) technical difference is stylus. The new styli are interesting and if you have an ageing K9, then the higher level styli could make for a very fuss free replacement.
The K9 has a metal body that is heavier by around 1gm than the AT95e and is also taller so ride height is different. If the fit is good then the new stylus could be worth a punt and the top range ones are of interest if they will work well. I have a collection of decks and three K9s and plenty of original stylus replacements. A lot of the time on most decks I don't find the cartridge to be special but I have a couple of decks where I have achieved synergy and then the cartridge shines.

Turntable used was a LP12, Lingo 1, Magik chassis with a Ittok.
Phonostage High Octane RIAA, modified Quad 22 and Quad II’s
Speakers restored JBL L40’s

Music.
Blondie Auto American
Al Di Meola Land of the Midnight Sun

audio technica VM95E:-

Tracking weight 2.0g

This was the first cartridge I listened to bass had a nice full dynamic sound but not very detailed, kick drum and bass guitar seemed to be hard to separate.

Debbie Harry voice sounded nice but was lacking inner detail and projection, instruments around her were a bit lacking in micro dynamics and detail.

Al Di Meola guitar playing seemed to be lost some of micro dynamics and the stop start of transients loss some of their impact, overall the mid frequency sounded a little recessed.

Treble didn't sound very extended it lost a lot of inner detail and dynamics, cymbals also sounding vague and muddle.

The stereo sound was between the speakers with little front to back depth making instruments sound soft blurred and difficult to separate. There was also a peculiar boxy sound that I kept hearing, I’ve heard the same thing with the old AT95E.

Linn K9 with the VM95E stylus:-

Tracking weight 2.0g

The K9 and the VMN95 stylus fits perfectly with no gaps at the front and aesthetics look great!

The K9 – VMN95E stylus should have sounded the same as the audio technica VM95E but it didn’t, the basic audio technica signature sound was still there. This combination had a different bass presentation it was better with more dynamic and detail, making it easier to separate the bass instruments but also at the same time it sounded warmer?

Debbie Harry vocals sound more forward with better detail and dynamics, instruments around also sounded better with greater front to back depth.

Al Di Meola guitar playing seemed to have better micro dynamics that were easier to hear and transients were more defined overall the mid frequency sounded more forward, notes seemed to stop/ start faster.

Treble didn't sound very extended it lost a lot of inner detail and dynamics on cymbals also sounding vague and muddle. (this I think maybe the stylus).

The stereo sound was between the speakers front to back depth was better making instruments sound more forward and easier to separate. Again there was also a peculiar boxy sound.

I can’t explain it but it does sound different.

Linn K9 with NOS K9 Vital nude stylus:-

Tracking weight 1.7g

The K9 and the K9 stylus aesthetics look great!

The K9 – NOS stylus still has the basic audio technica signature sound, but sonically it was in a different league. The bass was even deeper with greater instrument separation it was easier to follow the kick drum and the plucking of the bass guitar but the sound was even warmer and a touch overblown.

Debbie Harry vocals sounded more forward and there seem to be an illustration of height, a bit like she was standing in front of you. Detail and dynamics add a sense of real people playing instruments, the front to back depth was nicely layered with good micro detail and dynamics.

Al Di Meola guitar playing seemed to have a real presence this was again a big step up from the VMN95E stylus. The K9 was pulling more detail from the record, instruments had better transients and more detail and the mid band sounded more natural with a slight warm sound.

Treble sounded good inner detail and dynamics on cymbals were easy follow allowing a nice natural presentation. The only thing I noted was a slight softening to the upper register.

The stereo sound had a greater width between the speakers front to back depth was better making instruments easier to separate. There was still peculiar boxy sound around the 200 – 300Hz.

If you have a Linn K9 and like it’s sound, it maybe best to fit a VMN95 ML or VMN95 SH stylus.

I think the original K9 Vital nude stylus is a line contact stylus?

Goldring E3

The final cartridge in my test is a Goldring E3 at a price of about £78

I was expecting it to sound much like the audio technica VN95E but I was in for a shock!

The E3 didn’t have the audio technica signature sound, it sounds very neutral bass was on par with the K9 but without the warm overblown qualities.

Debbie Harry vocals sounded more realistic with instruments coming over with a very natural presentation tonal with better detail and dynamics than the K9!

Al Di Meola guitar playing with the E3 seemed to be more natural in presentation, instruments had similar transients and detail as the K9 but it just sounded more convincing.

Treble presentation of the E3 had a similar sound to the K9 without the slight softening, inner detail and dynamics on cymbals are easy to follow allowing a nice natural sound with the right tonal textures.

The E3 sound stage was on par with the K9 with better front to back depth, projecting beyond the speakers making instruments separation easier to follow.

As for the box peculiar boxy sound that I kept hearing it’s gone!

I think the Goldring E3 is a great cartridge!

Goldring need to make a line contact stylus for it!

Sharif.

Did you run in the stylus on each cartridge or was it an out of the box test?

Does the K9 stylus fit on the new AT cartridge?

How does the ride height of the VM95e compare to the K9? The K9 is taller than the original AT95e.

I’ve been looking for a reasonably price cartridge with a removable stylus, so which one would you choose?

So, I decided to have a listening session with the following:-

audio technica At-VM95E

Linn K9 with NOS stylus and later with the VM95E stylus (The K9 is from my cartridge collection)

Goldring E3

So here is the specification for the three cartridges they are all made by audio technica.

32307040907_b1ddbf37da_b.jpg

All the above specification was found on the manufactures site or review sites.

I know the VM95 has some nice stylus option.

The Goldring E3 could do with some more stylus options

The K9 always had a nice stylus.

Listening review to follow...

Sharif.

K9 cartridge mass should be 7.1 grams.

Did you run in the stylus on each cartridge or was it an out of the box test?

I played both sides of “Wish You Were Here” by Pink Floyd for each cartridge.
Does the K9 stylus fit on the new AT cartridge?

The K9 stylus won't fit the VN95E
How does the ride height of the VM95e compare to the K9? The K9 is taller than the original AT95e.

Standing both the K9 and the VM95E with the stylii facing upward and looking across them they appear to be the same height.

advertisement

Back