advertisement

The runners' thread... (part II)

My oldest daughter who is almost 39, asthmatic, registered blind and a Mum of two with a full time job... and currently recovering from a virus and chest infection... has just announced that she is dreaming of getting fit enough to run another London Marathon, to add to her two previous and her numerous half Marathons, Manchester 10ks etc.

She ran the last few miles of the last marathon with a stress fracture..

Quite humbling.

My oldest daughter who is almost 39, asthmatic, registered blind and a Mum of two with a full time job... and currently recovering from a virus and chest infection... has just announced that she is dreaming of getting fit enough to run another London Marathon, to add to her two previous and her numerous half Marathons, Manchester 10ks etc.

She ran the last few miles of the last marathon with a stress fracture..

Quite humbling.

Very impressive, I wish her success in her dream.

That’s fantastic! Out of curiosity, though, how did she find out she’d suffered a stress fracture? What were her symptoms? Call my a hypochondriac, but I’m wondering what my hip/upper leg pain might be all about, and it’s definitely worse when I’ve just run, but moreso the next day. In fact, it hurts less for most of my run than it does before I start running, but gets worse when I stop. I’m booked into a physio in a couple of weeks (just before I do my next marathon) but - as ever - trying to do my own research....

Didn’t run last night, but did have a long walk in the Zürich rain (it was much milder). Back home today, Parkrun tomorrow :)

Little sequence of nice runs in the last few days. I lead a Walk / Run group on Wednesdays, and we had lovely sunshine. 45 mins on the hills, good pace Thursday lunchtime. 50 mins on the hills Friday lunchtime, including brutal steep climb; hard pace that I could barely keep up with. On Saturday, got my wife to drop me off a few villages away, and ran back, mostly on road but one off-road stretch (with navigation error). About 10 and a bit miles, easier pace, mostly flat. And this morning did 5 miles gentle pace with a neighbour. All up about 28 miles for the week.

15K trail run today, last run before next Saturday’s trail marathon. Bit nervous.

Ran my first half Sunday morning at Hampton Court. Was really looking forward to it as my previous attempt at running a half was postponed by the death of my mother. This was the race I entered at that time and to be honest I did not really prepare very well. I did finish and I did not walk except at a water station where they used cups. But man alive the last 2 miles were hard work. If I do another I will train properly and get a load more miles in my legs. Finished in 2hr 26min 17sec which was in the zone I had set for myself to aim for 2:15 but try to beat 2:30. I tracked the 2:20 pacers until around 11k when they dropped me and I kept them in sight until around the 10 mile mark by mile 11 I started suffering.

I did enjoy the race (except the last bit) and the goody bag had 2 Tunnocks Caramel wafers in it so all was forgiven!

Today I was mostly running the Endurancelife Coastal Trail Series Northumberland marathon. Beautiful setting and great weather, started well but calf muscle cramps/spasms from about 15K wrecked my plan for a respectable run. Still, I plodded on, tried to blot out the pain. A tough race that caught me unawares and punished me! Still, finished it (albeit in the slowest time I’ve yet had in my seven marathons) and that counts for something! And it’s technically an ultra-marathon at 27.2 miles, but since they also ran a longer ultra I can’t claim it . Very sore right now, I may be broken again!!!

What I've learned about you John over the last year or two is that your body may be broken temporarily, which it often is, but your spirit is truly irrepressible - like all the best film franchises, we know you'll be back!

Reactions: JTC
Not visited for a while - Gareth, well done on the half! Sounds like it was a serious struggle, but hell, that's what it's all about! You did it!
And....more fool you....already talking about the next one.. o_O

JTC - nutter! Nothing more to say (except well done for pulling through again!). Look forward to the write up!

I'm hardly hitting the tarmac at all these days, pretty average Parkrun last weekend but that's been about it for what feels like months.... A bit of offroad cycling recently but little running. Much rugby and too much beer.
But spring has sprung, so maybe back to it in a couple of weeks...

Hugely entertaining Men's 3000m at the Euro Indoors. Great race by O'Hare; Henrik Ingebrigtsen literally threw himself at the line! Jakob is incredible. Eighteen years old.
Henrik now interviewing O'Hare!
Great for the sport to see personalities like them coming through in the post-Bolt era.

Yeah, that was cool all round: eighteen and on top of the world (in Europe); the dive, the interview, just good stuff all round :)

Well done JTC - hope you recover quickly. Mostly treadmills for me recently - lots of snow and ice about over here. I'm ready for some spring.

Thanks - managed to run 36 miles since last weekend so although I can’t say I’m totally over that race, I’ve not got the luxury of taking a break. My next challenge is my first ‘proper’ ultra, the John Muir Ultra. A tiddler, as ultras go, at 50Km, and I hadn’t planned to run it - I had been wanting to do the St. Tropez marathon but hassle with childcare and lack of direct flights from Edinburgh to Nice at this time of year meant that I decided to skip it, and then someone pulled out of the ultra and I just *had* to offer to take their place (!!)

I am in no way ready for a ‘proper’ ultra, but then by the same token I’m in no way ready for my first marathon. Despite that, I’ve bluffed my way around 7 in the last 18 months so hoping I can ‘get away with it’ for a short ultra :D

JTC,

I am sure you will be fine - just plan to do a few minutes walk every half hour or hour, and drop your pace a little bit from marathon pace. To quote from the Ultraladies schedule - "It is better to get to the start line under-trained, rather than over-injured"

I am slowly winding my mileage back up, so 29 miles this week, including 10.8 today in horrible wind and rain.

Good luck John, slowly plodding on here. Foot not right but not awful either, so ibruprofen gel and ice after a run. Going to slowly up the mileage and see what happens.

advertisement

Back