advertisement

Albums no one talks about

I also have it, as Rupert is in fact my cousin!

Cool beans.

I also like Quantum Jump 'Quantum Jump,' which is another album no one talks about... Snakes Don't Dance Much on 7" somewhere.

Gonna play these today, in honour of the Hine.

Fleetwood Mac - Penguin. Everyone's mum knows FM, everybody here has at least one copy of rumours and probably tango, but who do you know with a copy of Penguin? I've only seen one copy in the wild, my own.

Control - Jackie Leven's first from 1971 and like nothing else he ever recorded. An astonishingly accomplished, and contemporary, fusion of folk, rock, hallucinogens and a fabulous voice.

Fleetwood Mac - Penguin. Everyone's mum knows FM, everybody here has at least one copy of rumours and probably tango, but who do you know with a copy of Penguin? I've only seen one copy in the wild, my own.
The Danny Kirwan stuff has received a bit of a critical revival of late - Bare Trees, in particular, is a great album, but the stuff in between Kirwan and Buckingham/Nicks remains unappreciated. I recall it being a bit too watery AOR for my taste, but I'll go back and check it out once the builders have finished up.

Control - Jackie Leven's first from 1971 and like nothing else he ever recorded. An astonishingly accomplished, and contemporary, fusion of folk, rock, hallucinogens and a fabulous voice.

That reminds me I have a copy of The Mystery Of Love Is Greater Than The Mystery Of Death that I must get around to listening to.

Lewis Taylor - Lewis Taylor.
What an album; absolutely one of my favourites and a massive statement of creativity. Think Marvin Gaye meets Massive Attack with Beach Boys harmonies!

Her previous album, 'Little Dreamer' is well worth checking out.

Cheers BB

I'm not a fan. I think a mate gave me a copy after he'd picked it up in a charity shop and was about to bin it. It has 2 decent tracks on it, the rest is very forgettable.

The second album ( gota fria ) is nothing like the first , a complete change of direction with a much heavier darker sound . It's worth checking out .

Centipede - Septober Energy.

The only album by Keith Tippett's 50 piece big band from 1971. Produced by Robert Fripp and featuring members of Blossom Toes, soft machine and King Crimson, plus a plethora of Brit and South African Free jazz talent and Julie Driscoll. Four movements set over 4 sides. 3 & 4 meander on a bit too much. 1 is a great bit of free jazz skronk with horror film choral interludes. 2, however, is a positively terrifying prowling jazz prog monster and one of the finest things that any of the contributors have participated in. Incredible horn section throughout.

Lewis Taylor - Lewis Taylor.
What an album; absolutely one of my favourites and a massive statement of creativity. Think Marvin Gaye meets Massive Attack with Beach Boys harmonies!

Great rock chops, too. Saw him live a few times. Could have been the British Prince. I think he just gave up in response to the sheer indifference he was met with.

Centipede - Septober Energy.

The only album by Keith Tippett's 50 piece big band from 1971. Produced by Robert Fripp and featuring members of Blossom Toes, soft machine and King Crimson, plus a plethora of Brit and South African Free jazz talent and Julie Driscoll. Four movements set over 4 sides. 3 & 4 meander on a bit too much. 1 is a great bit of free jazz skronk with horror film choral interludes. 2, however, is a positively terrifying prowling jazz prog monster and one of the finest things that any of the contributors have participated in. Incredible horn section throughout.

And one of many inspirations for Tubular Bells.

Great rock chops, too. Saw him live a few times. Could have been the British Prince. I think he just gave up in response to the sheer indifference he was met with.

A genius IMO. A victim of the 'business' not knowing how to market someone who couldn't be pigeonholed.

I do quite like listening to the albums from well respected artists that are deemed 'mistakes' or sub-par in some way.

To whit:

Captain Beefheart - 'Unconditionally Guaranteed'.
Can - 'Out of Reach'.

are a couple of favourites.

+1 Quantum Jump Great BBC in concert and second album Barracuda. There is an early remix of the first album as well.

advertisement

Back