advertisement

Albums no one talks about

Beth Rowley - Gota Fria .

Utterly superb album that completely missed the best of 2018 album lists .

Bill Nelson's Red Noise - Sound on Sound.

A great, mad breath of new wave air with some great guitar work

In fact most of his albums after Bebop Deluxe have gone under the radar. Criminally ignored IMHO.
A favourite...

R-104334-1245422496.jpeg.jpg

Micheal Head and the Strands: The Magical World of the Strands - this is a truly magical album. Pretty much everything Mick Head produces is genius, but this is possibly the purest example of his vision.

"I've got a sore back and I'm itching,...."

I had completely forgotten that I had an album by Shack (

Albums no one talks aboot.

The second M album, bizarre concept in many ways, and a fantastic listen. I still play my copy frequently, purchased back in 1981. I never realised at the time that Mark King and Philip Gould played on it. Nothing like Pop Musik.

M (2) ‎– The Official Secrets Act
Label:
MCA Records ‎– MCF 3085, MCA Records ‎– MAPS 9792
Format:
Vinyl, LP, Album
UK
Released:
Nov 1980

Sandy McLelland and the Backline from 1979 is very good but I have never met any one who has heard it. I too have Immunity by Rupert Hine and still play it. Bill Nelson is another musician that has produced some great material after Be-Bop Deluxe but is little known.

I find it interesting how many previously hard-to-get albums are readily accessible on streaming sites. I remember waiting years to find a copy of Robert Calvert's "Captain Lockheed and the Starfighters," even on CD it wasn't available for a number of years. Now...a couple of clicks and it (and others like it) are there.

Tir na nOg, their eponymous first album.

Love it and met them touring Cornwall in ‘71. Happy days, but never mentioned now.

Roger Sanchez did a mix of Basia's Drunk on Love. It's on the front room side of first Cream Live CD. I was more at home in the techno oriented Back room but this tune and the CD in general bring back memories of the all illuminating white flood lights and ecstatic Ibiza atmosphere in the front room!

Choon!!!!!

Ahhh, the tapes are long gone, but used to love that album, the sound of many a train journey to Manchester and Leeds from Salisbury to see my mates, go clubbing, then go home on Sunday completely mashed. Work on Monday was always a trauma.

advertisement

Back