advertisement

Albums no one talks about

david ellwood

Kirabosi Kognoscente
sat listening to ‘time and tide’ by basia.

Loving it but she hardly ever gets a mention.

What albums do you rate that people ignore?

Micheal Head and the Strands: The Magical World of the Strands - this is a truly magical album. Pretty much everything Mick Head produces is genius, but this is possibly the purest example of his vision.

That’s in my all-time top 10. The CD is a(n) HDCD, which surprised me. Mr Head is still fabulous in concert these days.

In the vocal category;

They Sold a Million - Vince Hill

Great arrangements of medleys from West Side Story, Cabaret, and others. Some would write it off as schmaltzy MoR, but it's quality.

In the rock arena;

Armageddon, by the band of the same name. Beat Instrumental's reviewer called it the equal of Led Zep 1, and a host of other fine debut albums, the details of which are lost to the sands of time, but I think it's a classic.

Klezmer Suite by Andy Statman. One of my favourite albums, which I’ve been playing regularly for over 30 years.

hqdefault.jpg

sat listening to ‘time and tide’ by basia.

Loving it but she hardly ever gets a mention.

What albums do you rate that people ignore?

Roger Sanchez did a mix of Basia's Drunk on Love. It's on the front room side of first Cream Live CD. I was more at home in the techno oriented Back room but this tune and the CD in general bring back memories of the all illuminating white flood lights and ecstatic Ibiza atmosphere in the front room!

A hidden classic. Purchased by myself on the day of release back in 1981.

Completely missed it at the time, I once heard the phrase ‘it’s like some weird ache from the past’ (I think it might have been about Joy Division) anyway for me the phrase seems to fit this album/band.

advertisement

Back