advertisement

Oh Britain, what have you done (part ∞+16)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zarniwoop

hoopy frood
Apparently, rumours abound, May will be "doing a Cameron" & running off into the sunset come June, allowing her to choose her successor to prevent Boris taking charge in a Tory leadership battle.
Pretty sure she can't simply choose her successor.

And, if so, Labour leave voters have given us a Conservative Government for four years longer than if there had been no Brexit and we get austerity Brexit as a bonus.

...and then, before your very eyes, the same tabloids will hoist her up to the highest level of PMs through history - living embodiment of the indefatigable British spirit. Time after time she was rebuffed, people said she was finished - but no! If at first you don’t succeed...

Now I’ve made myself really depressed.

Polls are not based on static methodologies, they learn and adapt. It is hugely unwise to assume those who run them have not learned from errors last time. It is also worth noting that the error last time was largely down to underestimating the number of student/young voters enthused by Corbyn at that time, the very people he has since alientated and let-down by his unpopular Brexit stance and evasive intransigence on the whole subject.

At this point I can’t decide which I think more likely between a shallow Tory majority and another Tory minority government, but I’m prepared to bet the polling is now closer to reality as some very bright analysts will have reacted to the demographic errors made last time and modified their modelling.

Hasn’t the “youthquake” theory been discredited?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-42747342

The shift in voters was the 40ish year old cohort.

The whole thing is just so depressingly awful. Well done everybody.
Yet, and theres a new layer on the sh1t cake. A politically and economically unstable country now talking about projecting military power around the globe- where have we heard this before?

I think the Tory ratings will get a big boost post-Brexit, fuelled by the ‘Long Live Theresa, she’s got us out’ tabloid headlines.

I think the exact opposite. The horror of what Brexit means and the lies which led up to it will become apparent pretty quickly.

I think the exact opposite. The horror of what Brexit means and the lies which led up to it will become apparent pretty quickly.

But that will be Our Fault for asking for it, and the EU’s fault for not rolling over and giving us what we wanted, as they were supposed to. Tezz was simply implementing the will of the people (yes, every one of us) in the face of huge opposition. Well, some.

I'm not convinced she ever was. She was very quiet during the campaign, which now looks like a cynical ploy to secure her position regardless of the outcome. It was all about her and her grasp for power.

I am increasingly of this opinion. She was a remainer only because she expected remain to win, but really her first priority was to become PM, and her second priority is to keep foreigners out of the UK. I hope she chokes on the poisoned chalice she has won.

The horrific reality of a no deal brexit probably will be apparent quite quickly, but the key is who will the majority of the public blame, and I think the tabloids will focus the blame onto the intransigent EU and remainiac traitor MPs.

That is unless Brexit voters have a sudden damascene conversion and embrace introspection.

It won't

If we look at the US, people are only now seeing the effects of Trumps "tax cuts" when they are not getting the IRS refunds they expected or normally get. People warned them before the tax cuts that they would lose out but they blindly trusted Trump. It has taken a year for people to realise they were shafted and we will be looking at the same sort of timescales for brexit effects to really start biting.

As I see it, there will be a vote on May's deal, but there is no way that we'll have a deal that the EU and the ERG/DUP will both stomach. That deal doesn't exist.

So then we crash out.

I feel that May has lost her fear of the Commons. Nothing happens to her, no matter how much she runs down the clock or how often she says the same thing over and over again. I reckon she'll take her chance with 'no deal' by default rather than risk splitting the Tories or bringing down the government.

The horrific reality of a no deal brexit probably will be apparent quite quickly, but the key is who will the majority of the public blame, and I think the tabloids will focus the blame onto the intransigent EU and remainiac traitor MPs.

Funny how they didn’t stick “We’re stockpiling body-bags...” on the side of that big red bus.

She was a remainer only because she expected remain to win, but really her first priority was to become PM, and her second priority is to keep foreigners out of the UK. I hope she chokes on the poisoned chalice she has won.

this, this and this again

As I see it, there will be a vote on May's deal, but there is no way that we'll have a deal that the EU and the ERG/DUP will both stomach. That deal doesn't exist.

So then we crash out.

I feel that May has lost her fear of the Commons. Nothing happens to her, no matter how much she runs down the clock or how often she says the same thing over and over again. I reckon she'll take her chance with 'no deal' by default rather than risk splitting the Tories or bringing down the government.
Me too, I fear this is where we are heading. She’s actually untouchable, by Corbyn or her own. Politically we are at the Charge of The Light Brigade moment.

“The Light Brigade reached the battery under withering direct fire and scattered some of the gunners, but they were forced to retreat and the assault ended with very high British casualties and no decisive gains”.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back