advertisement

Oh Britain, what have you done (part ∞+15)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
... Short of ignoring the Referendum result what else could she have done ? ...

This.

She was not bound to the referendum result after the 2017 election.

For the good of the country she could have handled this as advisory and taken the result to the EU (as Cameron should have done before the vote) and said "give us Cameron's reforms or we leave".

As it was, we left anyhow and lost our position of power.

Idiots, one and all (apart from the MPs who voted against triggering A50).

Stephen

It is exactly what I was expecting and have been arguing, i.e. Labour are clearly moving backwards for obvious reasons, there is no credible alternative (LDs have no spark or momentum despite being right on the key issue of the day), and the worst Conservative government in living memory is actually solidifying their position (or lack thereof). I’ll be amazed if they don’t call an election this year. They’d not get a thumping majority, but they’d likely be able to ditch the UDA and govern alone.
I disagree, as I said a little earlier somewhere, May gained power in the last GE from the Racist end of Brexit on promises of immigration reform etc..15 points ahead before the GE, nowhere near this come the result. Without this to prop her up & with those who voted this way already sitting pretty after Brexit, the party will struggle, I see a Labour coalition more likely if they do hold an election in June, as hinted at, she will be gone by then with a new leader appointed.

This.
She was not bound to the referendum result after the 2017 election.
For the good of the country she could have handled this as advisory and taken the result to the EU (as Cameron should have done before the vote) and said "give us Cameron's reforms or we leave".
As it was, we left anyhow and lost our position of power.
Idiots, one and all.
Stephen

The UK already had a special deal that was about as good as it could be without other EU countries challenging it.
I think even the Tory establishment were surprised how many Tories voted Leave. After that became obvious "Brexit means Brexit" was inevitable, with damage limitation if possible.
Economy contracted -0.4% in December. Perhaps its started.
Anyway 45 days left. Actually only 33 working days.

I disagree, as I said a little earlier somewhere, May gained power in the last GE from the Racist end of Brexit on promises of immigration reform etc..15 points ahead before the GE, nowhere near this come the result. Without this to prop her up & with those who voted this way already sitting pretty after Brexit, the party will struggle, I see a Labour coalition more likely if they do hold an election in June, as hinted at, she will be gone by then with a new leader appointed.

The Tories won't risk an early GE while the DUP holds together.

I don't think she would, nothing concrete to say why but I just get a feeling she is actually a brexiter.
I feel the opposite, I do feel at some stage of this she actually attempted to undermine the result but it went pear shaped. Her deal appeases the racist Brexiteers only, the rest is abasically a remain deal keeping the UK tied to the EU indefinitely, she must have known this would never get through parliament but banged the drum until we are where we are, at a point when it's her deal, no deal or no Brexit, I still feel the latter could come to the fore, to the pleasure of all those who voted remain. I couldn't give a flying monkey's if Brexit ended as long as this government is outed in the process.

Polls are not based on static methodologies, they learn and adapt. It is hugely unwise to assume those who run them have not learned from errors last time. It is also worth noting that the error last time was largely down to underestimating the number of student/young voters enthused by Corbyn at that time, the very people he has since alientated and let-down by his unpopular Brexit stance and evasive intransigence on the whole subject.

At this point I can’t decide which I think more likely between a shallow Tory majority and another Tory minority government, but I’m prepared to bet the polling is now closer to reality as some very bright analysts will have reacted to the demographic errors made last time and modified their modelling.

The Tories won't risk an early GE while the DUP holds together.
I think we will see May gone & GE announced come June with a new Tory leader appointed by may. It seems to be the current thinking doing the rounds but then again, this is UK politics.

...I can't help wondering if this is the convulsive moment in our history where a blind groping for past glories has a paradoxical effect that finally sees us throwing off the burden of the past 200 years and starting to behave like a progressive 21st century state?

Or perhaps ten minutes after Brexit, that nuisance involving the population as a whole, has gone away our leaders will be back braying at each other at PMQs as if nothing had happened. Who cares if the country is worse off, they’re all sound until the next election. Why would they want anything to change?

Polls are not based on static methodologies, they learn and adapt. It is hugely unwise to assume those who run them have not learned from errors last time. It is also worth noting that the error last time was largely down to underestimating the number of student/young voters enthused by Corbyn at that time, the very people he has since alientated and let-down by his unpopular Brexit stance and evasive intransigence on the whole subject.

At this point I can’t decide which I think more likely between a shallow Tory majority and another Tory minority government, but I’m prepared to bet the polling is now closer to reality as some very bright analysts will have reacted to the demographic errors made last time and modified their modelling.

I think the majority of Tories are shallow Tony...

At some point many will come to terms with the fact that Brexit is not going away, when the penny drops with the public & they are faced with a harder Tory Brexit or a much softer Labour Brexit, the result will go the way of how people want to see Brexit, Corbyn would definitely campaign this way i feel, add to this the thought of another 5 years of austerity & gloom under Tory rule, people could well think it's time for a change.

I think we will see May gone & GE announced come June with a new Tory leader appointed by may. It seems to be the current thinking doing the rounds but then again, this is UK politics.

If she gets her Deal through this is quite likely.

At some point many will come to terms with the fact that Brexit is not going away, when the penny drops with the public & they are faced with a harder Tory Brexit or a much softer Labour Brexit, the result will go the way of how people want to see Brexit, Corbyn would definitely campaign this way i feel, add to this the thought of another 5 years of austerity & gloom under Tory rule, people could well think it's time for a change.

There is no softer labour brexit, that option is not on the table and Labour have no way of influencing the plan.

I feel the opposite, I do feel at some stage of this she actually attempted to undermine the result but it went pear shaped. Her deal appeases the racist Brexiteers only, the rest is abasically a remain deal keeping the UK tied to the EU indefinitely, she must have known this would never get through parliament but banged the drum until we are where we are, at a point when it's her deal, no deal or no Brexit, I still feel the latter could come to the fore, to the pleasure of all those who voted remain. I couldn't give a flying monkey's if Brexit ended as long as this government is outed in the process.

If you want someone to take your choice you give them two options:

1. A plan so horrible you know they won't accept in a million years
2. Your plan

At this point I can’t decide which I think more likely between a shallow Tory majority and another Tory minority government...

I think the Tory ratings will get a big boost post-Brexit, fuelled by the ‘Long Live Theresa, she’s got us out’ tabloid headlines.

If she gets her Deal through this is quite likely.

Bit of an "if". Which group is going to back down? The EU has no reason to re-open the agreement they signed with May. To save her deal the ERG/DUP loons would have to accept that. Chances?

I think the Tory ratings will get a big boost post-Brexit, fuelled by the ‘Long Live Theresa, she’s got us out’ tabloid headlines.
Nevertheless, the tories whould have to win seats in Scotland, London and northern England to improve very much. Everything's been pretty deadlocked since 2010...

The UK already had a special deal that was about as good as it could be without other EU countries challenging it.
I think even the Tory establishment were surprised how many Tories voted Leave. After that became obvious "Brexit means Brexit" was inevitable, with damage limitation if possible.
Economy contracted -0.4% in December. Perhaps its started.
Anyway 45 days left. Actually only 33 working days.

I don't disagree. But the vote to leave was a good leverage opportunity to extract more.

The EU would have bent over backwards to accommodate the UK in that situation.

Cameron was actually pretty successful in his original talks. But Hard Brexiteers only want one thing. May is pretty stupid to try and accommodate them.

Stephen

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back