advertisement

Useful facts or tips that everyone should know

To those using Google Calendar, type '1030 Guitar lesson' so your event will automatically be set at 10:30 without all that fumbling with the mouse.

The problem with Maglite is the batteries are quite a tight fit. I had one of the original 2xAA models for years and when I noticed it no longer worked I realised the battery furthest up the tube had leaked/swollen and was absolutely impossible to get out. It was jammed in solid and I ended up having to chuck the torch. I’ve since swapped to Fenix which are much better IMHO.

PS As it is a ‘tips’ thread: take the batteries out of any Maglite you don’t plan using for a while.

To remove the swollen battery use a large woodscrew as an extractor - if required use a claw hammer with a block of wood to protect the end of the torch.

if you've got food that's going to be past it's use by date (i.e. chicken) and you don't want to freeze it, then cook it and you'll get an extra few days out of it..

I aways buy onions instead of apples; they are invariably cheaper

:) Shades of a Viz readers' top tip there..

The problem with Maglite is the batteries are quite a tight fit. I had one of the original 2xAA models for years and when I noticed it no longer worked I realised the battery furthest up the tube had leaked/swollen and was absolutely impossible to get out. It was jammed in solid and I ended up having to chuck the torch. I’ve since swapped to Fenix which are much better IMHO.

to whit:

PS As it is a ‘tips’ thread: take the batteries out of any Maglite you don’t plan using for a while.

"Prolong the life of your carpets by simply rolling them up when you're not using them, and storing them in the shed until you ned to use them again."
R.Babbington, vie email..

For baking newly applied crackle finish paint on to a cam cover try gas mark 6 on bottom shelf of oven for 25 minutes, works a treat.
Make sure Mrs is out though and not coming home for many hours.

Same applies with Weber carbs in the dishwasher.

To remove the swollen battery use a large woodscrew as an extractor - if required use a claw hammer with a block of wood to protect the end of the torch.

I tried that, it just pulled the bottom off the battery, the rest was still stuck solid! The battery that had failed was the top of the two so inaccessible. The Fenix PD35 I replaced it with is a far more logical design with the whole tube being removable, i.e. you could actually knock a battery out of this one. The batteries (a different type, can’t remember the number) are a looser fit too. It is just insanely bright on the full setting!

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
For baking newly applied crackle finish paint on to a cam cover try gas mark 6 on bottom shelf of oven for 25 minutes, works a treat.
Make sure Mrs is out though and not coming home for many hours.

Same applies with Weber carbs in the dishwasher.

Funny dishwasher you must have there. In addition to baking you could possibly adapt it to spray lacquer instead of hot water?

If you have a cough and it is preventing you from sleeping, before you (attempt to) go to sleep, rub Vick Vaporub onto the soles of your feet, and wear socks. It will stop you coughing.

On a Maglite theme, keeping a 4 D-cell Maglite near your bed is very handy in case of you needing to get up and finding that there is a power cut, and not at all to be used for self defence in the event of finding an intruder in your house. definitely not ;-)

I tried that, it just pulled the bottom off the battery, the rest was still stuck solid! The battery that had failed was the top of the two so inaccessible. The Fenix PD35 I replaced it with is a far more logical design with the whole tube being removable, i.e. you could actually knock a battery out of this one. The batteries (a different type, can’t remember the number) are a looser fit too. It is just insanely bright on the full setting!
Fenix are the dog's doo-dah's. They'll take a rechargeable 18650 Li-ion battery, which is really powerful & doesn't lose charge like NmH. I use a Fenix head torch for walking the dogs first thing - great light, lasts for ages.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Look at the box of cling film in the kitchen drawer. Notice how, at each end, there is a push-in tab. Push them in and your cling film roll is MUCH easier to use.

Several friends of mine have learned this from me, seems no one looks at the box!

Drill a hole in the end of the battery screw a long screw in and pull out with pliers, it worked for me.

Pete

advertisement

Back