advertisement

How many think Corbyn will get in in Islington next election?

ff1d1l

pfm Member
Struck me that even though he's apparently much loved in his constituency, he might have blown it?
Any one know the odds offered?
Or any hot poop from his constituency party?
Remain 76420, Leave 25180, in the ref, incidentally.

I’d so love to see him kicked out, but it would take a new party with a very credible leader to do it. I’m certain his majority will reduce substantially and Green and LD will pick up the swing, but I really can’t see Islington switching from Labour.

Its something I'm struggling with, the commentariat claim that Conservatives will lose votes because of Brexit, and also that Labour will lose votes because of Brexit.... but given the nature of UK politics, just who is it they are going to lose votes to? I don't see a spike for the Greens nor more than a very small handful of gains for the LibDems.

I don't see a spike for the Greens nor more than a very small handful of gains for the LibDems.

The Lib Dems are weak due to poor leadership (Cable really isn’t up to it) and the stain of both Cameron and student fees, yet even so they are taking Labour council seats in recent by-elections. If they were to re-brand/merge as the rumoured new centre party with someone young, articulate and dynamic in charge (Layla Moran would be my choice) they’d likely do very well indeed. Add in people like Chuka Ummuna, Gina Miller, JK Rowling etc and I’d not bet against them winning an election.

The Lib Dems are weak due to poor leadership (Cable really isn’t up to it) and the stain of both Cameron and student fees, yet even so they are taking Labour council seats in recent by-elections. If they were to re-brand/merge as the rumoured new centre party with someone young, articulate and dynamic in charge (Layla Moran would be my choice) they’d likely do very well indeed. Add in people like Chuka Ummuna, Gina Miller, JK Rowling etc and I’d not bet against them winning an election.

Whatever it is your taking, I'd like some please!

Liberal Green Social Democratic Party please.

I’d like to see any new party centre/expand on the Greens as a brand as it established globally and everyone knows it stands for a centre-left environmentally friendly approach. Just merge dumping the Lib Dem name but retaining the underlying infrastructure and allow the not-mentals of both Labour and Conservative to defect whilst dumping the archaic intransigent ideology of both.

We desperately need smething new as Labour and Conservative are well proven shite and have trashed the country between them. There has never been a better opportunity to build a new centre ground.

I think it more accurately could be described as more closely matching the middle of the road, not that bothered by dogma or ideology, stance the British public has tended towards for generations.

...and which suits those in power, letting them move where they paint the lines showing the "middle of the road" ever-further to the right. Its what has led us to where we are.

A fair point, Jim. I’d hope the Greens could hold the line closer to slightly left of centre though.

To be fair, though, we do need a degree of ideology to prevent opportunism. I suppose it’s one of those irregular verbs: I am principled, you are dogmatic, he is an opportunistic dirtbag...

TBH, it doesn't matter if he wins or not, the Milne / McDonnell New New New Labour project has achieved its aim of proving that there is an appetite for a more left-wing approach to politics and reducing the red-tory militant centrist presence in the party to nothing. Corbyn will be out in the next two years and it will be because he either b**loxed Brexit or loses the next GE.

The next leader will be cut from the same cloth but won't need the 'amiable uncle' facade.

TBH, it doesn't matter if he wins or not, the Milne / McDonnell New New New Labour project has achieved its aim of proving that there is an appetite for a more left-wing approach to politics and reducing the red-tory militant centrist presence in the party to nothing. Corbyn will be out in the next two years and it will be because he either b**loxed Brexit or loses the next GE.

The next leader will be cut from the same cloth but won't need the 'amiable uncle' facade.

If the younger demographic rightfully desert Labour over Brexit, as seems to be happening, and the centrists split-off to a new party, all that is left is the old ‘80s SWP/Militant Tendency and Trade Union shower. That lot will never win any elections!

I’d like to see any new party centre/expand on the Greens as a brand as it established globally and everyone knows it stands for a centre-left environmentally friendly approach. Just merge dumping the Lib Dem name but retaining the underlying infrastructure and allow the not-mentals of both Labour and Conservative to defect whilst dumping the archaic intransigent ideology of both.

We desperately need smething new as Labour and Conservative are well proven shite and have trashed the country between them. There has never been a better opportunity to build a new centre ground.

Let's have a little look at this:

Labour (1997-2010) grew the economy, reduced debt, class sizes down, doubled the proportion of GDP to Health, introduced a minimum wage, Human Rights Act, Equality Act, diminished the difference in poverty, reduced homelessness, introduced the winter fuel payment and opened 4000 Sure Start centres.

LibDems (2010-15) facilitated austerity, cut disability benefits, introduced the bedroom tax, trebled tution fees, incresaed the regressive VAT, and charged us 5p for a carrier bag.

Now who's shite?!

Last edited:
Labour also blatantly lied to parliament and took us into an illegal war for the benefit of the oil / military industrial complex.

advertisement

Back