advertisement

Brands that disappeared very quickly

Woodface

pfm Member
I was reminded the other day, not sure why it popped into my head, of the strange case of 'Mana'. Their stands & speaker bases were everywhere, they had rabid adherents which made fervent Naim supporters seem like a paragon of sanity. It seemed to end so suddenly, I've never really heard them mentioned again. There must be loads of the gear still out there but I've never seen any for sale; their acolytes seem to have disappeared also. Where did it all go wrong?

In 1995, Mana seemed like
Just another Stand war
But it wasn't, it was
Different in many ways

As so were those
Who did the fighting
In World War II
The average age of the
Combat soldier was twenty-six

[Chorus]
In the Stand Wars, he was nineteen
N-n-n-n-nineteen

The heaviest fighting
Of the past two weeks
Continued today twenty-five
Miles northwest of Salisbury

I really wasn't sure
What was going on

[Chorus]
N-n-n-n-nineteen, nineteen
N-nineteen, nineteen

In the Stand wars, the combat soldier
Typically served a twelve month tour of duty
But was exposed to hostile fire almost everyday

[Chorus]
N-n-n-n-nineteen
N-n-n-n-nineteen
Ph-a-a-a-ase N-n-n-n-nineteen
N-n-n-n-nineteen

In Anglesey, a miltary spokesman
Said today, more than 720 posts
Were killed last week in
That sensitive border area
In all of Mana wars
The enemy lost a total of
2,689 purchasers.

[Bridge]
All those who remember the war
They won't forget what they've seen
Destruction of men in their prime
Whose average Phase was nineteen

D-d-d-d-d-destruction
D-d-d-d-d-destruction

According to a Veteran's Administration study
Half of the Stand combat veterans suffered
From what psychiatrists call
Post traumatic stand disorder
Many vets complain of alienation, rage, or insufficient tings
Some succumb to suicidal thoughts
Eight to ten years after emptying their home
Almost eight -^^^^^ men
Are still fighting the Mana Stand War

None of them received
A hero's welcome

None of them
None of them

Didn't they have to be stacked in prime numbers to work properly? :rolleyes:

This kind of nuttery probably didn't help the cause:

images

images

Nothing wrong with that rug..

manacle
Dictionary result for manacle
/ˈmanək(ə)l/
noun
plural noun: manacles
  1. 1.
    one of two metal bands joined by a chain, for fastening a person's hands or ankles.
    "the practice of keeping prisoners in manacles"
    synonyms: handcuffs, shackles, chains, irons, fetters, restraints, bonds

images

Flat-earthing(sic) had a lot to answer for. And I speak as someone who, despite selling it all 10 yrs ago, had an LP12 and Naim for half his life.

Never had any of the above malarkey tho'. Phew. rofl

Mana used a genius marketing strategy

By the beginning era of the internet someone invented "Buy more Mana" slogan

They managed to brainwash various forum posters and ran a successfull period

Many threads on the early Naim forum was infected with those disciples

Slogans like "Your nobody without.." never became that success

I seem to recall an emporer's new clothes moment with a review which showed how much it added to the sound (in a bad way). Hard to imagine a time where people would put 10 sound bases beneath a speaker. It's a bit like admitting to being a moony. I still have a naim/linn system but never had the Mana habit.

I recall the 'Oak' turntable from the early 80's. It was dirt cheap, no arm (add RB250), nice looking. Did not last long on the market.
The HiFi press raved (well, at least 'Stereo -The Magazine' did- anyone remember that one. It 'folded' very quickly!)

I had a Mana stand, and one level below each SBL at the time. Did seem to be beneficial, especially on a suspended wooden floor. Got rid of both when I moved to the current abode - concrete floor.

Can't remember to many names from back then that came and went very quickly. I did have a Sharp cassette player for a while, followed by an Akai one - don't remember seeing either name for too long after both purchases, but that could be just me being misinformed?

I was reminded the other day, not sure why it popped into my head, of the strange case of 'Mana'. Their stands & speaker bases were everywhere, they had rabid adherents which made fervent Naim supporters seem like a paragon of sanity. It seemed to end so suddenly, I've never really heard them mentioned again. There must be loads of the gear still out there but I've never seen any for sale; their acolytes seem to have disappeared also. Where did it all go wrong?

Mana were actually around quite a long time, a good decade or more. It “ended suddenly” as they went bankrupt despite running on a ‘customer pays in full first, we deliver sometime later’ business model. John Watson ended up having taken money for orders he was unwilling or unable to deliver and it understandably got rather ugly as folk either wanted what they had bought or their cash back. There is still a large thread in the reference room here documenting events as it spilled over to the other forums as Mana were censoring theirs.

What was the name of the Brand (Naim 160/42 clone?) amplication back in the eighties ?

Recall it was created by former Naim staff and possible the single only product from him/them.?

Mana were actually around quite a long time, a good decade or more. It “ended suddenly” as they went bankrupt despite running on a ‘customer pays in full first, we deliver sometime later’ business model. John Watson ended up having taken money for orders he was unwilling or unable to deliver and it understandably got rather ugly as folk either wanted what they had bought or their cash back. There is still a large thread in the reference room here documenting events as it spilled over to the other forums as Mana were censoring theirs.
Yes, I remember that now, there was an awful lot on the naim forum also. I have only recently been drawn back into the audio world so I am being plagued with sudden long buried memories;) So Mana ended up being a con on a number of levels.

I never did believe in these expensive stands.
They seem to be marketed as another ‘must have’, along with very expensive cables.
I recall Martin Colloms raved on about Mana stands, but then he raved on about a lot of things...

advertisement

Back