advertisement

Music Matters 33RPM

Elephantears

Trunkated Aesthete
I've got a specific question here, but also interested to know what people are planning to order from the new MM releases. I'm keen to have Joe Henderson's 'Inner Urge' and Wayne Shorter's 'Adam's Apple' in particular.

I'm slightly held back by two things; first, the price, which is getting higher and higher now the pound tanks. Second, some imperfections on a couple of releases I've bought. For the most part I think this has been a fantastic series; 'Maiden Voyage', in particular, is one of the best reissues I own, including Japanese pressings.

The only two glitches in the LPs I've bought are as follows. Wayne Shorter's 'See No Evil' is excellent, for the most part, and I play it a lot. But on 'Infant Eyes' I get a lot of surface noise. I can't really tell if this is tape hiss and noise or if my particular copy has pressing flaws. Does anyone experience the same issue on this track? The other one is 'Poor Eric' on Jackie Mclean's 'Right Now'. Again, it's a very quiet track, and I'm getting a lot of hiss and noise.

Just to reiterate, I have a lot of these LPs and most are superb, so two tracks on a number of LPs is not a bad result. But I would like to qualify if the issue is with the tapes or the pressing.

I’ve got a few MM releases - not the ones you’re asking about though. Agree regarding the quality. The new SRX pressings are supposed to have a lower noise threshold so could be the best pressings yet. I’m also interenested in the Wayne Shorter and Joe Henderson plus the Horace Silver. That’s $180 + shipping + duty - that’s expensive vinyl!

I’ve got a few MM releases - not the ones you’re asking about though. Agree regarding the quality. The new SRX pressings are supposed to have a lower noise threshold so could be the best pressings yet. I’m also interenested in the Wayne Shorter and Joe Henderson plus the Horace Silver. That’s $180 + shipping + duty - that’s expensive vinyl!

Coincidentally, I just received the three titles you mentioned. I had some problems with the Horace Silver, but they were light surface scratches that looked like a packaging problem. I contacted Carol at MM, and a new copy was sent which has no problems/flaws at all.
The SRX vinyl is very nice indeed, with quiet surfaces and overall great sound. It's also translucent...
These three titles are the only ones I was interested in from the new batch, and I now have thirty MM titles in my collection.
Very expensive, but I'm done for now.
Hope this helps...

Brian

I've got a specific question here, but also interested to know what people are planning to order from the new MM releases. I'm keen to have Joe Henderson's 'Inner Urge' and Wayne Shorter's 'Adam's Apple' in particular.

I'm slightly held back by two things; first, the price, which is getting higher and higher now the pound tanks. Second, some imperfections on a couple of releases I've bought. For the most part I think this has been a fantastic series; 'Maiden Voyage', in particular, is one of the best reissues I own, including Japanese pressings.

The only two glitches in the LPs I've bought are as follows. Wayne Shorter's 'See No Evil' is excellent, for the most part, and I play it a lot. But on 'Infant Eyes' I get a lot of surface noise. I can't really tell if this is tape hiss and noise or if my particular copy has pressing flaws. Does anyone experience the same issue on this track? The other one is 'Poor Eric' on Jackie Mclean's 'Right Now'. Again, it's a very quiet track, and I'm getting a lot of hiss and noise.

Just to reiterate, I have a lot of these LPs and most are superb, so two tracks on a number of LPs is not a bad result. But I would like to qualify if the issue is with the tapes or the pressing.

I have copies of the two titles you had problems with. I'll listen to mine, and let you know what I hear...

Brian

OK, I've just listened to the tracks you were wondering about, and on "Infant Eyes", the background is silent. On the track "Poor Eric", there is clearly light brush work during most of the track, but no tape hiss.
Out of the thirty titles I've bought from MM, I've had three pressings that were problematic and required replacement. That's a 10% rejection rate, which is not bad in the whole scheme of things...

HTH,

Brian

I recently purchased the whole SRX set from MM. The only problem I encountered was on the track Lonely Woman on Songs for my Father by Horace Silver. There is clipping distortion in places when piano keys are hit hardest.
I have the same issue on my 2x45 copy also so assume it’s on the tape.
Otherwise all titles are flat and super quiet. Most impressive.

I have about 25 MM titles and only one problem with a click on the final track of Point of Departure. I gathered it was a batch fault and didn’t proceed any further. My copy of the McLean you mention is fine, I don’t have the Shorter.

As most of the SRX titles are reissues, I’m done with MM. I have all but one of the titles I want, (I missed out on the excellent Wahoo), and I like the 45 RPM versions. The recently announced Tone Poet series looks more interesting to me title wise, I even managed to preorder Sam Rivers Contours from Amazon France when the had the price mistakenly at about €22 instead of €36.

Good luck with the SRX series, do report back.

Unfortunately Music Matters do not use distributors any more for Europe and you have to order directly from them.

I've also got 30-odd of the 2 x 45 MM issues, and all of them are great in terms of pressing and sound quality. However, I worked out that the SRX versions would come to over £80 each. At this point I'm out.

I will invest in the new Tone Poet series though: Kevin Gray AAA mastered (apparently), Pallas pressed, around £32-35 each. Some interesting titles, and not all BN either.

Actually they worked out at just under £59 each having bought the whole set including postage and small customs vat charge plus handling charge.
Might work out more expensive just buying one or two though.

MM used to offer very good wholesale pricing up to 2017 and these would of been circa £40 each UK pricing but they now want to make very healthy margins and now only sell direct

Actually they worked out at just under £59 each having bought the whole set including postage and small customs vat charge plus handling charge.
Might work out more expensive just buying one or two though.

I looked at buying three titles and it worked out around £79 each after freight + 20% VAT/ Duty. That’s crazy.

I will invest in the new Tone Poet series though: Kevin Gray AAA mastered (apparently), Pallas pressed, around £32-35 each. Some interesting titles, and not all BN either.[/QUOTE]

Tone poet series looks interesting and better value. Wayne shorter Etcetera & Chick Corea Now He Sings for £37.58 each. Available 22nd February. Not sure if these are coming from Universal UK or being imported.

OK, I've just listened to the tracks you were wondering about, and on "Infant Eyes", the background is silent. On the track "Poor Eric", there is clearly light brush work during most of the track, but no tape hiss.

Thanks a lot for checking Brian, and thanks to everyone for the helpful answers. It looks like I do have minor pressing flaws on those tracks, but it won't stop me from ordering more. I also want the Horace Silver LP along with Wayne Shorter and Joe Henderson.

Mike, where have you see the prices for the Tone Poet series? This is all very badly timed when I need to save money, but also mouthwatering.

Would love to get hold of some of these Music Matters releases (the SRX releases also look interesting).....the cost puts me off and as mentioned it looks like all will need to be sourced direct from US in future.

Thanks for the heads up on the Tone Poet series....

Just had confirmation that Universal UK are releasing the two Tone Poet titles on 22nd February. These might be pressed at Pallas?

advertisement

Back