advertisement

Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 digital DAC

Hi,
Just ordered this DAC!
I'm going to use it with my laptop, int. amp and Tidal to explore music and enjoy music when I don't have the energy for vinyls.

Since it is for Tidal MQA use only, my question is, if it works properly with iFi linear PS 5V for power and iSilencer for the USB output in my laptop.
Will it perform MQA this way?

Any other suggestion for upgrades are welcome..I bit confused from all those iFi products, so if someone knows what works best for my situation it would be awesome.

Thanks!

Hi,
Just ordered this DAC!
I'm going to use it with my laptop, int. amp and Tidal to explore music and enjoy music when I don't have the energy for vinyls.

Since it is for Tidal MQA use only, my question is, if it works properly with iFi linear PS 5V for power and iSilencer for the USB output in my laptop.

Any other suggestion for upgrades are welcome..I bit confused from all those iFi products, so if someone knows what works best for my situation it would be awesome.

Thanks!
Hi there,
Congratulations on the DAC, I really enjoy mine. My digital setup consists of Roon running on my laptop. At the moment all my digital music is from Tidal played with Roon’s software. Cant say enough on Roon! That was a huge upgrade in itself! Im able to upstream to DSD 256 with Roon and yes it seamlessly plays Tidals MQA files as well. So keep in mind this DAC plays DSD really well. Like you im a vinyl lover as well and I personally like how close the DSD upsampling gets me to the dynamics of records. As far as power supplies go I went the simple route on that and stuck with the included power supply and run it through a conditioner/surge protector and have been pleased. I run Adcom and Klipsch. I use the Adcom 750 pre in passive mode the most for my two channel. I would suggest that you check Archimago’s site and read his articles on wires, power supplies, computer noise,streamers, and so on. He really confirms alot of the myths in these areas. Trust me I tested them out on my system. I dont like buying snake oil lol. Also read up in this thread about the DAC theres a wealth of info here that you will benefit from. Enjoy man!

Hi,
Just ordered this DAC!

Thanks!
Any standard 5v micro usb supply should work. I use a 25w linear one from the middle kingdom. The unit should decode with IFI silencer - it has worked that way for me. Recently, however, it refuses to make sound from IOS devices, but I have not run that to ground.

Thanks for your comments guys!
I will try to read all this post and Archimago's blog.
I actually don't have any Hi-Res file or DSD..just vinyl and Tidal so in the near future I won't
enjoy it's DSD capabilities.
MAG, Can Roon improve my sound if I use only Tidal?
DimitryZ, Does the iSilencer worth the buck?

Thanks for your comments guys!
I will try to read all this post and Archimago's blog.
I actually don't have any Hi-Res file or DSD..just vinyl and Tidal so in the near future I won't
enjoy it's DSD capabilities.
MAG, Can Roon improve my sound if I use only Tidal?
DimitryZ, Does the iSilencer worth the buck?
It really depends on your source. Some computers prefer ISilencer, others Jitterbug or Shiit Decrapifier. There are many much more elaborate solutions.

Start a thread on USB cleanup devices and you will get lots of advice.

I guess it's a controversial subject..but I know people that improved their sound quality a bit by adding those usb/power products, I would take the risk and try if it works for me..most of them not so expensive.

OK I guess nobody's going to start another thread. :) So, I'll add that I have two cleaners from UpTone Audio: the USB REGEN in my desktop chain, and the ISO REGEN in my media room system.

Bringing this back to the Pro-Ject Pre Box S2D, I heard far more improvement from simply using an external PSU in place of USB power. The effect of adding the ISO REGEN was much more subtle. I use an inexpensive linear "wall-wart" in place of the supplied switching wart, and others here use even better PSUs.

Bringing this back to the Pro-Ject Pre Box S2D, I heard far more improvement from simply using an external PSU in place of USB power. The effect of adding the ISO REGEN was much more subtle. I use an inexpensive linear "wall-wart" in place of the supplied switching wart, and others here use even better PSUs.

My DAC arrives at the weekend and I’ve ordered one of these...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07GXMB12J/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

I can also use it to power my Project phono preamp - though unfortunately not at the same time as the DAC.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Thanks for your comments.
I will make up mind and see what suit and available to me.
Your welcome and good luck in your ventures with digital audio. Please share your findings with the extra purchases such as the lpsu and such. Ive gone down that road with things of such and am very anxious to hear your objectivity on the subject. Enjoy the music!

Your welcome and good luck in your ventures with digital audio. Please share your findings with the extra purchases such as the lpsu and such. Ive gone down that road with things of such and am very anxious to hear your objectivity on the subject. Enjoy the music!
I will be report..

I manage to read a lot of this post and it seems that there were a lot of problems with MQA and Tidal app (win10).
Can someone confirm that there are no problems / noises / hiccups / shutters?

I don't own any digital files, only streaming..so the option of Qoboz and other DAC can work for me..
Should I consider buying a good used DAC 24/192 or Topping D50/Dx7s / Biofrost multibit etc?
Or save for Mytek Liberty?
With future perspective of 3-4 years of use, more expensive options might be considered..

I can also use it to power my Project phono preamp - though unfortunately not at the same time as the DAC.[/QUOTE]
project do make PSUs to suit mains or battery single & multiple S2 components
Pro-Ject Battery Accu Box S2

The Pro-Ject Accu Box S2 is used for sound enhancement for devices powered by 5V / DC, such as Pro-Ject Pre S2 Digital Box, Head Box S2 or DAC Box S2 +.

USB connection 1x 5V (type A plug). Battery life up to 6.5 and charging time approx. 8 hours.

Pre-Box-S2-digital_10.jpg

I manage to read a lot of this post and it seems that there were a lot of problems with MQA and Tidal app (win10). Can someone confirm that there are no problems / noises / hiccups / shutters?

As of firmware version 2.12 all bugs seem to be fixed, except for a problem that occurs after you play an MQA track and then a PCM track, and it happens only when you have the digital filter set to Optimal Transient. The audio will then sound "thinner" until you change the filter, even if only back round to Optimal Transient.

The designer, John Westlake, is no longer associated with Pro-Ject but has promised one final free update, followed by an optional upgrade. But he's been busy with a project of his own, and we haven't heard from him for a few months. Pro-Ject recently released a new Windows driver, but no firmware update.

I don't own any digital files, only streaming..so the option of Qoboz and other DAC can work for me..
Should I consider buying a good used DAC 24/192 or Topping D50/Dx7s / Biofrost multibit etc?
Or save for Mytek Liberty?
With future perspective of 3-4 years of use, more expensive options might be considered..

If you're not going to try MQA, then your choices are many. Amps usually have a larger impact than DACs on a sound signature, but of the DACs you mentioned above I believe the Bifrost will sound the most different from the S2D, although the multibit version is closer to ESS-based DACs than the AKM-based version.

The S2D has a great information display and is quite versatile, and I move it around the house as a very useful tester, but I don't like the sound and have replaced it with AKM-based DAC as I prefer a warmer and smoother sound.

daytona600 - nice photo!
left channel, thanks for clarification.
Actually ATM I use Tidal and pretty get used it..but no problem to get use to Qobuz If I have to choice between S2D-MQA and Marantz HD-DAC1 + Qobuz (I found HD-DAC1 used for 450$ need to go check it).
All the problem with the S2D, and the fact I might find it a bit brighter than other competitors make me go a step back and check other options. Let's see how the my search will go.

advertisement

Back