advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00111010)

Status
Not open for further replies.
No... but those going for the MDAC2 / FDAC will have no need as it will be an internal option - so development sponsorship can be transferred to the option.

To be honest that means it’s effectively dead because I can’t imagine there are too many Detox sponsors that haven't also sponsored the M-DAC 2 or FDAC. Still, it’s good news that funds can be transferred.

Given the higher than anticipated (but understandable) costs of MDAC2 it now seems even more odd that we have to scrap the original MDAC just to provide a sleeve for MDAC2. I’d quite like to keep my old MDAC (with outboard Calex PSU) in service in a separate system.

I can sympathise with that! However, with a bit of luck you could pick up another on eBay for less than £300 .My old one will appear there soon, but ideally you'd wait until somebody offers a non-functioning one- there must be a few out there with very leaky capacitors...

I can sympathise with that! However, with a bit of luck you could pick up another on eBay for less than £300 .My old one will appear there soon, but ideally you'd wait until somebody offers a non-functioning one- there must be a few out there with very leaky capacitors...

Yes, but then I'd be paying c £300 for a sleeve to house my MDAC!

The M-DAC 2 board was always intended as a replacement for the standard one, so there was always a requirement for a doner unit of some kind.

The M-DAC 2 board was always intended as a replacement for the standard one, so there was always a requirement for a doner unit of some kind.
True but the donor was originally going to supply at least the sleeve and front panel. Things have moved on.

Yes, but then I'd be paying c £300 for a sleeve to house my MDAC!

Sadly this is still cheaper then me trying to arrange tooling + extrusions for say 50 sleeves - also factor the Silver / Black mix...

The MDAC extrusion tooling is very expensive as the sleeve has a hollowed out center + requires a large extrusion die...

Also, Remote + PSU...

I'll need to battle the Chassis issue for VFET / FDAC - I'll have better resources once the MDAC2'a ship. At this time, I just dont have the spare mental will to start another battle to reengineering MDAC chassis.

Sadly this is still cheaper then me trying to arrange tooling + extrusions for say 50 sleeves - also factor the Silver / Black mix...

The MDAC extrusion tooling is very expensive as the sleeve has a hollowed out center + requires a large extrusion die...

Also, Remote + PSU...

I'll need to battle the Chassis issue for VFET / FDAC - I'll have better resources once the MDAC2'a ship. At this time, I just dont have the spare mental will to start another battle to reengineering MDAC chassis.

I thought the MDAC2 had a new power supply?

MDAC2 has a new rear panel connector that comes with an adapter lead to allow reuse of the existing PSU - or possiblty to use a better supply. Its well beyond the scope of this project to safety certify a new PSU.

MDAC2 has a new rear panel connector that comes with an adapter lead to allow reuse of the existing PSU - or possiblty to use a better supply. Its well beyond the scope of this project to safety certify a new PSU.

Ah, ok. Thanks, John.

If reusing the MDAC chassis is the fast track then lets do that.

Somehow I suspect that I will end up paying more for a donor MDAC than I got for the one I sold. But that life.

And hopefully the VFET / FDAC crowd is less cost sensitive so it will be easier to find nice chassis.

To be honest that means it’s effectively dead because I can’t imagine there are too many Detox sponsors that haven't also sponsored the M-DAC 2 or FDAC.

Well, I am one of those who ARE interested in a standalone DETOX. Having tried competitive USB decrapifiers and found them unacceptable, I was excited by the prospect of a "pull out all the stops (e.g., a purposely designed CNC chassis) design". Being happy with my DAC then and now, I did not need another one.

The DAC's internal Detox option is more advanced then the standalone Detox - progressive development based on experience with the first Detox design.

While I have a (small) dog in the fight, I am disappointed with the fact that the external DETOX will be outperformed by the internal DETOX design! :(
That being said and given the time elapsed and knowledge gained in the interim, maybe I should not be surprised that "DETOX" is a "trickle up" tech. Too bad that the supporters of the standalone design will get a lower level of performance, an as yet undelivered product already superseded by another undelivered product?!

Signed..."Having Trouble Making Lemonade"

please switch my 2 detox donations as well. or credit towards my final choice, at least then I can only moan about the non delivery of FDAC L3 and VFETS

I recall one of the original design concepts for Detox was to keep it external as once RF hits the inside of a DAC it's a waste of time trying to fix it. It seems like this concept has been superseded.

I'm another who now is not that interested in my Detox stake....

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back