advertisement

What's the Most You've Paid for a Vinyl Record?

rough edges

Sapere Aude
I don't recall a thread on this forum about this topic. For me, the most I've payed is $100 Canadian, but that was only for certain jazz releases from Music Matters. I also bought a 200gm Japanese pressing of Duke Ellington and John Coltrane for about $95 Canadian.
To spend that much money on a single lp is a rare event for me. The music must be timeless, such as Art Blakey "Moanin'", Hank Mobley "Soul Station", Herbie Hancock "Maiden Voyage". etc.
So, what's the most you've spent?

Brian

£16 for a Mobile Fidelity version of Crime of the Century. But that was I don't know how many years ago - seemed like a lot of money at the time -- so perhaps you need to index link your payments?

$200 US for a second pressing of Blue Train. Was in San Diego for a conference last year. Had a whale of a time in Folk Arts Records, could have bought the whole shop. I know it was silly, but I knew I would never never get so close to an early copy again and could easily recoup what I paid for it back home in NZ if any regrets.

I’m more into the whole bargain hunting thing, so whilst I have many rare records amassed over many decades I’ve seldom paid very much. I have a feeling the most I’ve paid was either for the ORG 2x45rpm issue of Coltrane’s Crescent or a US second issue of Ascension, both times I got battered for inport duty plus that random fee couriers think they can charge for collecting it! The copy of Ascension has a mark on it too despite being sold as mint (still sounds great though). I can’t remember what Ascension cost, though I think I ended up paying about £75 for Crescent, which stuck in my mind as it was far more than I wanted to pay!

$200 US for a second pressing of Blue Train. Was in San Diego for a conference last year. Had a whale of a time in Folk Arts Records, could have bought the whole shop. I know it was silly, but I knew I would never never get so close to an early copy again and could easily recoup what I paid for it back home in NZ if any regrets.

Going OT, but what I learned from this, is that if one now wants early US pressings of 50's and 60's Blue Note (Verve, Riverside, etc.), that are in good enough condition to approach the quietness of CD or lossless stream, one needs to have VERY deep pockets, which I don't. I think this will be/ have been my only foray in to 'collectables'. I did pick up a nice 1970 pressing of KoB and IASW, at the same time. Of course, being younger than I am, these do count count as old or classic.

Similar to what Tony said, the Jimmy Knepper Sextet LP I picked up in Forever Changes, a fortnight later, for only a fiver, was the one that gave me the "Blimey, look what I found" feeling.

Used: Faith No More - King for a Day, Fool for a Lifetime. Orig. US press.

New: Cannonball Adderley - Somethin' Else. Music Matters.

Both around £50 if I remember correctly.

I paid £55 for the Cinematic Orchestra's Ma Fleur box. It goes for around £75 so it's cool, though I have never spent anything like it since.

£62 for the recent Beatles The Beatles 4lp Boxset - well it was a pressie from the wife so that's the most she's spent.
Edited: Pulse Boxset for me actually - was that around £80?

S/H I paid £16 for a first pressing mono Beatles Revolver.

I think the most expensive thing I have bought was the boxed set of Nick Drake “Fruit Tree.” To go with my battered 3 original 60s/70s copies of all his “proper” albums.

Well considering a new LP nowadays ranges from £20 - £25 mostly I am surprised at some of the low figures quoted. Must admit I have paid three figures for records quite a few times over the years.
For example Pink Floyd- Piper original first press mono £225, BOTW Mofi one step £125, Trees On The Shore original UK press £200 etc etc. Also recently bought some Music Matters Jazz LPs which aren't cheap either by the time you pay postage, customs charges, Vat, and handling charge fees!!

These are fairly recent buys

Gavin Bryars - the sinking of the Titanic/Jesus Blood £50
Terry Riley - In C £30
Pandit Prannath - Earth Groove £45
Miles Davis - IASW £35

Most of my record collection was bought as released

Bloss

If box sets count, then I think it was around £250 for the Mobile Fidelity/MFSL box of Frank Sinatra - Capitol Years, with (I think) 14 or 16 LPs. That was years back.

For single LPs, I think somewhere between £20 - £40 or so for various new and sealed Mobile Fidelity releases. I may still have receipts for a raft of MFSL, Crystal Clear, Telarc and other speciality pressings from late 1970s to 1980s, but what I paid for them then would probably seem quite modest today... most recent MFSL was the 45rpm double of Rickie Lee Jones' first album, and I think that was somewhere around the £40 mark, as was the 45rpm double of Julie London's Julie is Her Name.

Turning the question on its head, last year I sold a Robert Plant - Fate of Nations on eBay, and my buyer paid around £80 for that...

LPs - maybe £30, but I hardly buy LPs now.

R2R tape - thats a different matter - USD450 for a Tape Project new release and about USD 400 for an original 15 IPS 1/4 inch record company distribution master

(The tape below was signed by the Reid brothers and Alan McGee later)

hWJJn1.jpg

£92 for a Japanese mono reissue of Boom-Jackie Boom-Chick by the Paul Gonsalves Quartet.

Just bought the Rendall/Carr quintet box set for 4 times the retail price.

I bought the Coltrane Heavyweight Champion box set new for £50 years ago but I'm struggling to think of anything I paid more than £20 for used.

For every £100 rare LP there are normally a dozen interesting cheap records calling me...

According to Discogs I have a handful of £100+ records. But as I have no plans to sell them it just means I wouldn't be able to replace them if they were damaged.

The Mobile Fidelity 2 LP version of Kind of Blue by Miles Davis. It was around £60 and a present to myself when I got my turntable back from repair.

Although I have a number of near mint early pressing that have escalated in value over the years I brought these when issued so they were only a few pounds at the time. I don't remember paying more than about £40 for anything else that I brought after the release date?

£92 for a Japanese mono reissue of Boom-Jackie Boom-Chick by the Paul Gonsalves Quartet.

Just bought the Rendall/Carr quintet box set for 4 times the retail price.

I think this box set will be the one that will make me break my previous price level by a substancial amount though as I failed to get one of the 1,000 copies. Still with ex+ original albums at >£2K each it still looks good value.:rolleyes:

advertisement

Back