advertisement

Oh Britain, what have you done (part ∞+14)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
None so blind than those who refuse to see, as stated upthread, one day the penny will finally drop. Though I doubt it anytime soon.

See what?, the only thing I see dropped is the UK in deep pop, by you and a lot of the people you are supposedly trying to help. How are you going to get funding for all your plans to help them, answer: you won't, there will not be the money if there is a hard brexit and a labour win is unlikely now due to darling Jeremy's lack of any perceivable talent.

Sorry, misread. I know Nandy was thinking about voting against the amendment or abstaining.

In that case, substitute Flint for Nandy - she's right of the party's centre but not, as far as I can tell, a complete asshole and (probably) a decent constituency MP.
She is a complete asshole. One of the "legitimate concerns" crew.

Not about money Jack.
I think it is. Unless you swallow that crap about sovereignty. No, its about the wrong sort of people selling us down the river, eroding our rights and benefits, forcing down workers rights and wages and making a great deal of money.

We all need to be eternally grateful to the enlightened souls who voted for this.

See what?, the only thing I see dropped is the UK in deep pop, by you and a lot of the people you are supposedly trying to help. How are you going to get funding for all your plans to help them, answer: you won't, there will not be the money if there is a hard brexit and a labour win is unlikely now due to darling Jeremy's lack of any perceivable talent.
Ah someone else who thinks he's a talentless fvck in way over his depth.

As far as I can tell the Brady Amendment is just May’s shitty deal plus magic flying unicorns in NI/Eire. I’d not want to be any part of that!

If she can have meaningful talks with Corbyn and work out some agreement then the EU is far more likely to re-open negotiations. Without some real indication that Parliament would accept any new arrangements then the EU will tell the UK to take a hike and then we are back on track into the eye of a no-deal shitstorm.

Ah well, 190,000 retirees to boost house prices, drain the NHS of resources and boost readership of "The Daily Mail"

UK retirees in EU will lose free healthcare under no-deal Brexit

https://amp.theguardian.com/politic...-nhs-covered-health-care-under-no-deal-brexit

A mate of mine's parents have a house in Spain, which they have been trying to sell for a long time at something like half price. They want to move back to Britain, because of the negative changes that will happen when we leave the EU. And nobody is queuing up to buy because of Brexit.

If you have retired to the EU and are British, Brexit will mess up your life one way or another. What you've got to look forward to, when you come back to England, is a run down NHS with nowhere near enough hands or money to deal with the aged.

The irony is the Tories have treated the old really badly, yet they're the people who have statistically voted in favour of Brexit, and the days of twisted colonial glory and power are long gone.

Jack

If she can have meaningful talks with Corbyn and work out some agreement then the EU is far more likely to re-open negotiations. Without some real indication that Parliament would accept any new arrangements then the EU will tell the UK to take a hike and then we are back on track into the eye of a no-deal shitstorm.

Theresa May would have to remove one or more of her red lines. That would probably split the Conservative Party. I've seen nothing from her that suggests she's willing to do that.

The vote tonight is not binding, but it does make no-deal less likely.

On the contrary -- the failure of the Grieve and Cooper amendments and the adoption of the insane Brady amendment make No Deal look a lot more likely to me.

Theresa May would have to remove one or more of her red lines. That would probably split the Conservative Party. I've seen nothing from her that suggests she's willing to do that.

The vote margins tonight show her plan has gained some traction in the Tory ranks. If (and it's a big if) Corbyn can get some protection on worker rights and living standards then he may well support her on some adjustment to the backstop that the EU will buy into. It's hard to know what will transpire, but I sense that the chances of no-deal are becoming more remote.

On the contrary -- the failure of the Grieve and Cooper amendments and the adoption of the insane Brady amendment make No Deal look a lot more likely to me.

Don't see how it makes no-deal more likely, the Brady amendment has brought May and Corbyn into talks which is a step in the right direction. There can be no movement away from no-deal without Labour and Tory finding some common ground. May approaching the EU without some indication that parliament would approve it would be a complete waste of time.

It's official. MPs have voted for a unicorn cake.
It’s beyond that now, I’m expecting

r1iko0.jpg

If technology and other methods are available to avoid a hard border-or will be as Brexiteers think-why are they nervous of the backstop?

Stephen

Because the backstop has nothing to do with a hard border, which is a fiction. It is to keep the UK in the EU, or at least within the EU Customs Union.

AKA lose lose lose. BTW why should the EU find solutions to a mess created by the UK that the UK itself can't find solutions to ?
The EU allows places with few resources like Malta or Cyprus to have advantageous tax regimes. When they get ahead of EU average wealth, like Ireland, they rein it back. Seems very fair to me: not to you ?

The mess that has resulted in this situation is a failure of EU governance.

The NI tax regime is not compatible with fiscal union (or the EU's requirement for a 'level playing field) which will at some point be necessary if EMU is to prevail.

No you didn't but you do infer it. Come on nobody is stupid here.

No, I didn't. I was merely setting out some facts, not opinions.

Well, we disagree then.

You and I disagree? You could blow me down with a feather :)

Oh god, Newsnight have wheeled out that old pantomime dame Digby Jones. He just said he voted for Brexit and told everyone it would make us worse off! The tosser was the CBI director general!

People from Mansfield interviewed on the 10:00 BBC News tonight. Everyone appears to have bought the Brexit lies about immigration and the NHS hook line and sinker.. They kept the best till last. Some dozy old bloke saying, without a trace of irony "If I were a young 'un now, aaa'd move to anuther countreh" With such levels of political insight.. I'm at a loss to know why we are having so much trouble ....

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back