advertisement

Oh Britain, what have you done (part ∞+14)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ture. They will keep doing this kind of thing until a May deal is accepted by Parliament, or we crash out since the Spelman/Droney No Deal amendment voted for is advisory and doesn't have the full force of the law.

All of the Ministers in the Cabinet are millionaires I believe, although it changes so quickly it's difficult to keep up. They have deep enough pockets not to worry about the economic chaos of a No Deal Brexit.

As for the poor, surely nobody thinks the Tories give a fkuc about them. Those who voted Leave have ensured they will suffer more.

Jack

They may call a snap election around this new 'unity' as a counter to Brussels...

If, as expected, the EU sticks to its red lines, and May comes back with nothing new, all bets are off and I would expect to see real fireworks (mainly, touch wood, a Tory implosion).

Ah yes, the Tory implosion. I still remember sitting on Grandpa Marchbanks’ knee all those years ago as he waved his finger angrily in the air as he told me “It’s imminent my boy - the Tory implosion - imminent, you mark my words...”

With the Brady amendment accepted Corbyn has said he is willing to work on a unified approach to go to the EU with. It doesn't give Labour much room to manoeuvre, but there is a chance that the govt can go to the EU with a deal that can get the support of Parliament which will increase its chances of getting further negotiations with the EU especially over the backstop. I think Labour can hold out for greater worker protection when the crunch comes. I'm not over the moon about the May deal, but I would be very worried about a no-deal.

The 38bn is money *we already owe*. Any idea that we would default on this debt is preposterous except in the fevered minds of our dumbest MPs.

Yes, it’s an obligation. I’ve seen many sizeable contractual obligations (OK, in the tens of millions rather than billions) which have never been paid but morphed into ‘go forward’ outcomes. It’s a piece of the jigsaw.

With the Brady amendment accepted Corbyn has said he is willing to work on a unified approach to go to the EU with. It doesn't give Labour much room to manoeuvre, but there is a chance that the govt can go to the EU with a deal that can get the support of Parliament which will increase its chances of getting further negotiations with the EU especially over the backstop. I think Labour can hold out for greater worker protection when the crunch comes. I'm not over the moon about the May deal, but I would be very worried about a no-deal.
Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn said he would now meet the prime minister - having refused to until she ruled out a no deal Brexit - to discuss the next steps.

Mr Corbyn said: "Parliament has voted to remove the immediate threat of crashing out without a deal on 29 March.

"After months of refusing to take the chaos of no deal off the table, the prime minister must now face the reality that no deal is not an option."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-47050665

We will all lose, comfortable or poor. The only exceptions are those who maje their living through manipulating wealth (Rees-Mogg, Farage, Banks etc) who will no doubt clean up by shorting the misery of others.

FWIW I’m neither wealthy nor poor. I’m thankfully well-insulated as no one can make me redundant, take my house etc. My income is not even entirely UK-centric (I get about a quarter to third paid in US $). My savings have certainly been impacted by the £ crashing, though I have attempted to invest expecting Brexit to be a disaster. I’ll certainly not end out on the street anytime soon, but like the vast majority of thinking people I gain absolutely zero pleasure from knowing others will be far worse off than myself. It actually makes me very angry seeing such utter stupidity in action, hence my being so forcefully against the thing I know will cause misery to millions over the next decade or so.

The simple fact is lots of people are already losing their jobs and many more will follow. The housing market being what it is will result in many of these people ending up in negative equity and being forced to declare bankruptcy (I remember friends going through this in the ‘80s). Then we have the inevitable inflation and rising prices, and again this will impact the poorest the most. I shall certainly remember that you voted for this as it unfolds over the next few years. I may even remind you of that fact!

PS 14 Labour gammons actually voted against Cooper’s ammendment. Shame on them. Their names need to be made into a giant billboard.

ENEMIES OF THE PEOPLE?

I expect nothing else from Hoey, Mann and Stringer - they're loons who would be perfectly OK with a hard Brexit, and they're hardly flavour of the month with their CLP members. Hopefully, deselection awaits (by those nasty "hard-left Momentum thugs").

However, at least some of the remaining 11 (e.g. Nandy, Skinner) are perfectly good MPs who just happen to have reservations about Cooper's amendment.

I don't agree with them, and it's disappointing to see Theresa May wriggle off the hook but I don't think it's fair or decent to automatically insult people who disagree with you.

The 38bn is money *we already owe*. Any idea that we would default on this debt is preposterous except in the fevered minds of our dumbest MPs.
It would be up there with defaulting on the national debt. Who would ever trust us again? Not that many will anyway.

It would help if you named him.

It’s Roger Godsiff. A lexit-ish sort of old school Labour type. But not normally a lunatic as far as I’m aware.

There are quite a few Labour MPs who represent very pro Brexit constituencies.
Some of them feel they cannot be seen by their constituents to vote for any delay.

Not the case here. Remain constituency.

PS 14 Labour gammons actually voted against Cooper’s ammendment. Shame on them. Their names need to be made into a giant billboard.

https://t.co/TOqQrvXtqn

ENEMIES OF THE PEOPLE?

I expect nothing else from Hoey, Mann and Stringer - they're loons who would be perfectly OK with a hard Brexit, and they're hardly flavour of the month with their CLP members. Hopefully, deselection awaits (by those nasty "hard-left Momentum thugs").

However, at least some of the remaining 11 (e.g. Nandy, Skinner) are perfectly good MPs who just happen to have reservations about Cooper's amendment.

I don't agree with them, and it's disappointing to see Theresa May wriggle off the hook but I don't think it's fair or decent to automatically insult people who disagree with you.

Where did you get the info that Lisa Nandy voted this way, Drood? She’s not on the list I saw here. https://mobile.twitter.com/AdamBienkov/status/1090345169273212930

The simple fact is lots of people are already losing their jobs and many more will follow. The housing market being what it is will result in many of these people ending up in negative equity and being forced to declare bankruptcy (I remember friends going through this in the ‘80s, it is not fun). Then we have the inevitable inflation and rising prices, and again this will impact the poorest the hardest. I shall certainly remember that you voted for this as it unfolds over the next few years. I may even remind you of that fact!
None so blind than those who refuse to see, as stated upthread, one day the penny will finally drop. Though I doubt it anytime soon.

Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn said he would now meet the prime minister - having refused to until she ruled out a no deal Brexit - to discuss the next steps.

Mr Corbyn said: "Parliament has voted to remove the immediate threat of crashing out without a deal on 29 March.

"After months of refusing to take the chaos of no deal off the table, the prime minister must now face the reality that no deal is not an option."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-47050665

The vote tonight is not binding, but it does make no-deal less likely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back