advertisement

Scam warning

Just had an offer, via wigwam, on the JW monoblocks i have for sale. I was contacted by a long registered member who said he had a friend who was interested. When his friend called me he insisted he had to pay from his PayPal balance but wouldn't pay via gift, family and friends etc. He would be prepared to my paypal fees for me in cash.

Having read all the clawback scams I wasnt keen on taking this risk and when I explained so he ended the call.

was I being unreasonable or was I at risk?

Just had an offer, via wigwam, on the JW monoblocks i have for sale. I was contacted by a long registered member who said he had a friend who was interested. When his friend called me he insisted he had to pay from his PayPal balance but wouldn't pay via gift, family and friends etc. He would be prepared to my paypal fees for me in cash.

Having read all the clawback scams I wasnt keen on taking this risk and when I explained so he ended the call.

(in answer to you being unreasonable) No, you weren't, you do exactly what you want to safeguard yourself.

Not at all, I wont accept PP on anything really unless Ive dealt with the person before. PP is a risk for six months of losing your dollar. You basically give a free six month warranty and a million other options of being liberated from your money or goods or both.

I got my first separate system from Bill's in the mid 80's. He must have been close to middle age then and must pushing 80 now. He dealt in budget to mid-price gear, never high-end stuff. If Bill is still with us, he certainly wont be party to these shysters.

Ally

Not unreasonable at all. PayPal is a scammer’s dream.

Ebay bizarrely removed the rights of sellers to give Negative feedback to bad Buyers. Why??? What good could possibly come of that?

I’ve got stuff on eBay now. I’ve turned down several offers from buyers who only wanted to pay by PayPal. Offered them discount for cash/BACS, but no interest. I’d rather keep stuff than give a scammer a chance.

Not unreasonable at all. PayPal is a scammer’s dream.

Ebay bizarrely removed the rights of sellers to give Negative feedback to bad Buyers. Why??? What good could possibly come of that?

I’ve got stuff on eBay now. I’ve turned down several offers from buyers who only wanted to pay by PayPal. Offered them discount for cash/BACS, but no interest. I’d rather keep stuff than give a scammer a chance.

You have to careful doing that now, because you 'HAVE' to accept PayPal on eBay UK (even for collection only items which PayPal even state that you should not take PayPal payments for collections), eBay robots monitor your messages, if its clocked you've basically denied a buyer to pay with PayPal they give out suspensions and terminations willy nilly.

In the last year, and the new 'rules' and 'policies' Devin Wenig has introduced has created an even more hostile environment for sellers than ever before - the fully automated ebay return and refund policy is a scammers paradise. Send back an empty box, eBay automatically refunds within two days once a tracking number shows 'something' has been delivered and the seller has no form of recourse.

You have to careful doing that now, because you 'HAVE' to accept PayPal on eBay UK (even for collection only items which PayPal even state that you should not take PayPal payments for collections), eBay robots monitor your messages, if its clocked you've basically denied a buyer to pay with PayPal they give out suspensions and terminations willy nilly.

In the last year, and the new 'rules' and 'policies' Devin Wenig has introduced has created an even more hostile environment for sellers than ever before - the fully automated ebay return and refund policy is a scammers paradise. Send back an empty box, eBay automatically refunds within two days once a tracking number shows 'something' has been delivered and the seller has no form of recourse.

I didn’t know that. I see loads of eBay ads stating “cash on collection only” or “No PayPal”.

TBH, if they closed my account, I wouldn’t be at all bothered.

I didn’t know that. I see loads of eBay ads stating “cash on collection only” or “No PayPal”.

TBH, if they closed my account, I wouldn’t be at all bothered.

Yeah if the listing isnt on for too long you can get away with it sometimes, but if someone reports it to eBay (two clicks to report and its actually a hobby to some people believe it or not) they slap you up, its in their TC's of usage, you HAVE to accept PayPal.

i seldom try to sell anything via ebay these days, once fees, dodgy deliveries, return postage and claw back is factored in it's just not worth the risk

Saw this on Audiogon.

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussi...-american-citizen-you-must-not-buy-anything-2

Seems some outfit in Glasgow (or pretending to be) running a scam.

BH Hifi
0141 280 0537
https://bhhifi.audio-zoom.com/used-floorstanding-speakers
Im in Glasgow today and have been to where they claim they work from 145 st Vincent street. It’s offices, no bh hifi is registered at that address - I spoke to the guy at the main desk so be VERY wary of dealing with them.

i seldom try to sell anything via ebay these days, once fees, dodgy deliveries, return postage and claw back is factored in it's just not worth the risk

Cash on collection sales is the only way to sell there nowadays & only use the £1 maximum sale fees deals.

Im in Glasgow today and have been to where they claim they work from 145 st Vincent street. It’s offices, no bh hifi is registered at that address - I spoke to the guy at the main desk so be VERY wary of dealing with them.
It's the registered office of the business, ie the accountants, who are present at that address.

It doesn't matter what we do.....there will always be scammers out there. They have no morals and would take the fillings out of your teeth. They really get my back up.....as you are always just that tiny bit wary of dealing with some one you don't know personally. At least on the hi-fi forums you often have some one who knows or has dealt with whom ever you are dealing with. These dick heads who try to scam honest genuine people want boiling in oil.

I reported an ad on PF the other day which to my mind had signs of a good cop bad cop ..." you will let me pay by PP" etc. etc. which had ben explicitly barred in the OP... it was for very hi end kit.

I wouldnt have let either of the characters into my house or given them a home address

How on earth to do a demo given such a concern ...

I learn a lot on this thread

advertisement

Back