advertisement

“Shallow” Valve Integrated/power amps

20714163481_4dac3cd6ca_b.jpg

If you assume the logo side is the ‘front’, as I do, a Leak Stereo 20 is 31cm wide by 27cm deep, though obviously it is wider than that as you need space for the cables.

Has the Quad got a DAC in it?

For Tiggers who are too weary to click the link supplied...

Three digital audio inputs – optical, coaxial and asynchronous USB – support data up to 24-bit/192kHz, and an RCA-phono input gives the option to connect an analogue source like a CD player or a turntable (when used with a suitable phono stage).

In addition, those who enjoy the freedom of wireless connectivity can pair smartphones, tablets and computers via Bluetooth, with support for the sonically superior aptX codec.

I had the very same chat with myself when I looked at it. Would look good on my desk.

This one is a Leak Stereo 20 "clone". Big bigger in other dimensions and not as hi-tech as the Quad...

300mm 15W three inputs £900.

http://www.iconaudio.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/20-ST-20pp-2016.pdf

Stereo-20-PP.jpg

Icon also do a 30W EL34 amp that is just within budget, but also just breaks the 330mm depth criteria.

The Quad looks a lot classier though, the Icon just looks like a something off Ebay from the Land Of The Container Ship.

The Quad looks a lot classier though, the Icon just looks like a something off Ebay from the Land Of The Container Ship.

Absolutely. It is two or three generations of made in China valve amps cases from the past. The newer Icon ones have VU meters, 1930s Flash Gordon valves and the now de rigueur copper bits.

MB81-Mono-Blocks.jpg

But these are 800mm long, x10 the price target and no pre.

I am so tempted by that little Quad amp. Looks very used friendly. I just wonder how it would work with my Tannoy Devons? I'm not even sure if there's anywhere in my area (Worthing, West Sussex) where I could demo one. Still like the look of it though. Drool!

Mike

advertisement

Back