advertisement

“Shallow” Valve Integrated/power amps

Martian Sunrise

pfm Member
After moving my TT and amp up onto a shelf, I have limited depth (about 330mm) but heaps of height (about the same).

In looking for an amp with a smaller footprint, it dawned on me that I could get a valve amp up there (something I’ve never been able to accommodate before), if I could find one with a shallow depth - Tube Tech Unisis for example.

I am looking for suggestions. Integrated with a phone stage would be perfect but I could go line or a power amp and use a passive pre and my Trilogy. Speakers are Eatons.

Probably looking at up to £1,250

Eastern Electric Minimax pre/power combo is very shallow , a second hand one would be well within budget and should work well with Tannoys .

No, through different speakers. The Minimax was through Tannoy 12" Golds, the M520 was through the Eatons. But the difference in character between those two amps was relatively large imo. I would expand on this but I have to dash!

http://www.quad-hifi.co.uk/product-detail.php?pid=41

va-one_20160816102256_824.jpg

330mm, £1250, 15W. But no phono.

Connections are limited to "just enough" for modern sensibilities as well.

I had the mini max integrated, not sure if it's the same but it was 8w I think. Sweet as a nut it was, I often regret selling it especially for how much it went for.

That Quad looks interesting, all the inputs I'll ever need and the DAC only needs to be good enough. But. I. Don't. Need. Another. Amp. :rolleyes:

330mm is the max. With RCA’s out the back it means overhang at the front.

I’m looking at a Unisis or a Croft v at this stage. I am assuming they both run as hot as each other.

advertisement

Back