advertisement

Supercapacitor Power Supply tour

Ciunas Audio

Trade: Ciunas Audio
As stated I have moved away from battery power to supercapacitor power for my audio devices & am starting a tour of both the standalone supercap PS (SUPER-PS) & supercap powered audio devices (ISO-HUB, ISO-DAC & ISO-SPDIF).

This thread is solely about the Supercap PS - please post your interest & eventually your impressions of the SUPER-PS here.

The initial model is outputs 5V PS (or any voltage down from this but only at factory) & this is what I'm ready to tour.

There will be another, more expensive, model which will have a max of 20V output & will be adjustable by the user to any voltage down from this. This will incorporate a screen showing voltage selected charging voltage & supercapacitor output voltage. Voltage will be selected via a knob or up/down touch switches.

The difference between battery power & supercapacitor power is detailed on my webpage here
Prices & introductory offers will be on my website soon

I use 350Farad Maxwell/Nesscap supercapacitors & the important audible difference between these & other supercapacitor PSes is that the power is direct from the supercapacitors, not from a voltage regulator after the supercapacitors. I discovered this was audibly significant when I first started using battery power internally to power my audio devices. The voltage regulators (yes, even the best LT3045) seem to introduce some stability or dynamic noise issues in their power output which the direct batteries & direct supercapacitors don't.

As I said, this applies to audio devices internally powered in this way - how this translates to external PS powering a device in the audio chain will depend on the internal regulators within the device & its function in the audio chain. I & others have experienced improvements in many devices when powered with my battery or supercap power. It will be interesting to see any impressions which may be posted here.

We can discuss these matters here if people wish?

I have a list of names submitted already in anticipation of the supercap ISO-DAC tour
Timola
Paul Burke
davidjt
Sams
00fiete
easton
Robby

These same people might be interested in auditioning the supercap PS?
Please indicate interest or not in this initial 5V supercap PS tour.

OK, owl, - there are two models a 5V output PS (available now) & a user selectable variable voltage model (available later in the month oe early Feb)
Please specify which - I will set up two lists for these different PSes that I would ask people to add their name to by copying & posting with their name added to the end:

5V PS list
?

Variable PS list
Paul Burke

Hi - its to use with a Chord Qutest, so 5v will be perfect. Thanks!
Ok, thanks
I'll wait until we have a number of people to make it worthwhile sending out a PS

Rather than me managing the list of people could copy the list & as their name to it that would be great - like this

5V PS list
Owl

Variable PS list
Paul Burke

Can I be added to the 5v list please. PM details of anticipated price if possible. It is for use with an Allo Digione Signature streamer which requires 5v, using batteries at the moment.

Can I be added to the 5v list please. PM details of anticipated price if possible. It is for use with an Allo Digione Signature streamer which requires 5v, using batteries at the moment.
The price is €180 with an introductory price of €160

Can people self manage the tour list, please & add their names as below - it means I don't have to manage it - just oversee it?

5V PS list
Owl
Spenagio

Variable PS (max 20V) list
Paul Burke

Adding myself to the list.

Rob

5V PS list
Owl
Spenagio
Mort2k (Rob)

Variable PS (max 20V) list
Paul Burke

Thanks Rob
3 people makes a tour, IMO :)
I'll send one out to Owl next week.
Can the 3 people on the list PM me full Name & postal address, please?

John - I may be misunderstanding something but your website shows a dual voltage model.

Dual voltage (up to 5V - set at factory) - case dimensions 4.72 x 1.69 x 3.07" (120 x 43 x 78mm)
A dual voltage output upto 7.5V (set at factory) can be odered - case dimensions 6.30 x 1.69 x 3.07" (160 x 43 x 78mm)
Higher fixed voltages > 7.5V can be ordered - contact me to discuss requirements

Does the new 5V max replace this or is the dual still available? I would need 6V - 9V for an ultraRendu.
More importantly is the tech the same on the existing and new units? It looks like the supercap spec is the same.

Thanks
Sam

Hi John,

Would it be possible to add another Cap/ cell to take the output voltage to 25V? Then you would have a HiCap replacement and a massive increase in potential market.

What I mean by dual voltage is that both outputs are the same voltage, not different voltages. Units with two different voltages will have to wait.
I'm not sure what your second question is but the tech is the same - supercap
Did a 7V supply work for an ultrarendu?

Last edited:
Hi John,

Would it be possible to add another Cap/ cell to take the output voltage to 25V? Then you would have a HiCap replacement and a massive increase in potential market.
Yes this seems possible - I need to check the spec of the HiCap to be sure. Are you interested in trying one?

Because of my work I'm all over the place at the moment and most of my system is in storage. However, I have a couple of non forum friends with Naim based systems who would love to try. Another potential blocker is that the unit would have to either fit inside a Naim half width case, or a Modushop Galaxy of the same size. I've still got Simon SQ's modded Prefix (the so called SUPrefix) and that's currently powered by an Avondale TPR4 (the best PSU I listened to for it), it would be very interesting to hear what a SuperCap based PSU could do for that.

Cost would also come into it at some point..

advertisement

Back