advertisement

Speaker Cable for Rega Elicit

The Rega SC42 is the one you really need to hear. Unfortunately its very hard/impossible to find.

Ive been using it for 19 years now on all my past and present Rega amps and never found anything i like as much , including Naim , Chord and Van Damme.

Short of finding some SC42 , I would guess the obvious one to try is the Rega Duet [as previously suggested 5 yrs ago ??].

I've tried a few cables for my Rega gear over the years - I have settled on Linn K20 as the best stuff to my ears for very reasonable money. I also have the Rega Couple IC. It's funny - to my ears the Couple tends to settle down Rega's worst tendencies - which makes it a good match. It COULD be 100% psychosomatic, though - the cable is very soft and flexible and just feels silky smooth in the hand, but also appears very "high tech" in it's Apple Store white sheathing. So it strikes me as very smooth, yet detailed. HA!!!

Judd

I would try Tellurium Q or EWA over Chord any day of the week. EWA is the original designer of TQ cables and having heard them they sound astounding for the price. Chord always sound really bright and unpleasant to listen to in my experience.

I've just moved my EWA-LS 25 on and moved to Epic Super Twin. The latter is far from bright, the bass is seismic, and top sweet and smooth.

Last edited:
The best speaker cable I have heard is what I use, Coherent Systems 5D, but it isn't cheap.

+1 for Coherent systems speaker cables. I’ve heard the 6D and was very impressed. They are what I will get next, much smoother and natural compared the the Chords that I auditioned at the same time. In the meantime enjoying the pair of 4Ds I picked up second hand.

It's the newer Elicit pre Elicit-R
I presume it is the Elicit Mk2, the predecessor of the current Elicit-R(Mk3). One can say the best cable for the Elicit is Rega's own cable which i tend to agree but as usual it depends on what exactly you are looking for with the sound reproduction. I have owned the Rega Elicit Mk2 and used it with the Rega SC42 with great success. I didn't compare many cables with the SC42 but I did compare it with the NACA5 but this was on Naim amps after I sold the Elicit.

The Rega SC42 cable sounds looser and more expansive than the Naim NACA5. In other words the SC42 has a larger presentation. On the other hand the Naca5 has a tighter presentation and sounds more controlled in the bass. There is a rhythmic drive in the music with the NACA5. You don't feel or hear the propulsive drive too much with the SC42 as everything sounds smoother, calmer and/or flatter.

The comparison of the SC42 and NACA5 is mostly carried out on Naim amps specifically the NAC202/NAP200 and not on the Elicit which was already sold by then. I agree with some of the previous comments that the loudspeakers, apart from listener's criteria and preferences will determine which cable will sound best with the Rega Elicit. It may not be necessarily Rega's own cable, the SC42 or more recent ones in this context. Nevertheless, if you like the sound signature of the Rega Elicit, I would recommend that you look at the SC42. The Elicit surely sounds great when used with the SC42.

Last edited:
The new Rega Duet should be on your shopping list. £14.98 per metre.
+1
Compared this to my then Rega Quattro, and it was instantly, appreciably better, and also with some other more expensive cables (forget the make, but they came in blue and black) It was the cheaper blue which I tried, and a I again preferred the Duet. Still using it with my Elicit-R

+1 for Coherent systems speaker cables. I’ve heard the 6D and was very impressed. They are what I will get next, much smoother and natural compared the the Chords that I auditioned at the same time. In the meantime enjoying the pair of 4Ds I picked up second hand.

I have heard 6D in my system and it is quite a jump up from the 5D which is already a jump up from the 4D. In my opinion there is no Chord cable that can match the Coherent range.

Completely agree. I was using Chord Signature at the time of the auditions. I listen to Signature Reference, Sarum, a couple of the Telluriums as well as the 6Ds. Not only did the 6Ds sound the best, more musical, better separation and open but the cables themselves were more plyable. My issue is I really need a 4M run which isn’t cheap... but found the 4Ds second hand (3m) to use in the interim. Hopefully I can get the 6Ds this year.

Don't have any rega to try but finding the sound with my exposure cable a bit flat with less dynamics than I am used to with my exposure rig. Wondering from Elicit owners what are some other choices that may yield better results
Ive used Naim Nac 5 my Mk1 Rega Elicit and Chord Signature Mk1 Speaker cable. The Signature is end to end more Dynamic but the Naim cable brings a nice smoothness to the upper mids..

So far I seem to be getting e best results with exposure cable. Have tried Qed profile 12 silver, (bigger soundstage sweeter), audio quest type 4 (bland), ecosse 4.2( polite but less involving). Might try some nac5 as I remember it having better bass compared with the exposure and a touch less bright forward sounding. If anyone has any Sc42 I might be keen
agree with the comment about NAIM NAC A5.. i HAVE A VERSION 1 CLAMSHEL REGA ELICIT

The new Rega Duet should be on your shopping list. £14.98 per metre.
How would you describe the rega duet ?

I’m using Viard HP4 (4mm) currently and I’m happy about it, very very good quality for the price, but I was wandering if maybe my elex mk4 would like the rega duet more ;)

Strange thread; gets necro'd at a six year point, and then again at five.

I have an Elicit Mk5 here atm, and it's getting on fine with my Van Damme 4mm. Although I do have some DNM solid core lurking in the loft somewhere.....

i won't bang on (again) about how great these modern Rega amps are, but susceptibility to different speaker cables doesn't strike me as a particular foible.

I like the sound of DH Labs speaker cables. I use Dh Labs with my Rega setup. High quality at a fine price. I

@Tim Jones Why not give the DNM a try again, although there must be a reason it's ended up in the loft. I use DNM and have used VD 4mm and I know which I prefer. Come back and give us your thoughts.

advertisement

Back