advertisement

Yamaha A-S 2100 to A-S3000?.

early

pfm Member
Has anyone gone from or compared the Yamaha AS2100 to the AS3000? .

Was the much of a difference ?.

I’m thinking of the A-S2100. Is there any area you feel it is lacking to want make the change to a 3000?

I’m thinking of the A-S2100. Is there any area you feel it is lacking to want make the change to a 3000?

It's not lacking as such . I am trying to find my 'forever' amp to go with my NS1000'S. I had three amps here a Luxman valve amp (now sold) and Yamaha C4/M4 pre power amps and the AS2100 .

With the NS1000'S the pre power combo is more dynamic and open, which is hard to live without once you have heard it. No surprise really as they were meant to go together, this combination is very neutral though and I like a bit of warmth.

The AS2100 is voiced lovely with just the right amount warmth with plenty detail ,but in comparison to the C4/M4 lacks a little punch.

It's not lacking as such . I am trying to find my 'forever' amp to go with my NS1000'S. I had three amps here a Luxman valve amp (now sold) and Yamaha C4/M4 pre power amps and the AS2100 .

With the NS1000'S the pre power combo is more dynamic and open, which is hard to live without once you have heard it. No surprise really as they were meant to go together, this combination is very neutral though and I like a bit of warmth.

The AS2100 is voiced lovely with just the right amount warmth with plenty detail ,but in comparison to the C4/M4 lacks a little punch.

The A-S3000 certainly looks like an "end game" amplifier - one that would probably outlive most of us in any case! After being blown away by the build quality and sound quality of the SL1200G I am keen to investigate some Japanese made amplifiers (although I think the Yamaha amps are made in Malaysia).

Totoman has. I’m sure he’ll chime in.

My upgrade path was A-S1000 to A-S2000 and then to A-S3000. I had no complaints with what I currently had from a sonic perspective, but for me the facility of XLR inputs with a -6dB attenuation switch (something that really ought to have been provided in the lower models IMO!) was really important, and I was also desperate for an amp with huge output meters :cool:.

Each 'upgrade' was an upgrade to my ears. All the Yamaha amps I've owned display a very natural, open and effortless sound without colouration, and remain relaxed and fluid even at higher listening levels. The A-S3000 in particular provides a noise floor that's lower than any other amplifier I've owned (I can't hear any background hiss even when my ears are a matter of inches from the tweeter), and again a very natural and transparent presentation with perhaps just a touch more solidity/heft in the lower registers without sacrificing openness or detail.

I did contemplate the A-S2100, which was very tempting at its lower price, but I (perhaps foolishly) ruled it out without even auditioning it because I reached a point in my audio journey where I wanted to go TOTL and thus remove the potential for any future urge to upgrade again. I was lucky enough to find an 'open-box' A-S3000 that wasn't too far away in price from a 'new' A-S2100. At full RRP I wouldn't have been able to afford the 3000 and would by default almost certainly have gone for the 2100.

I definitely consider my 3000 to be my 'lifetime' amp, or at least I did before Yamaha announced its new C-5000/M-5000 pre- and power-amp combo a few months ago! Short of winning the lottery however, it is unlikely I'll be able to afford these any time soon, so I'll continue to slum it with my A-S3000... ;)

Last edited:
My upgrade path was A-S1000 to A-S2000 and then to A-S3000. I had no complaints with what I currently had from a sonic perspective, but for me the facility of XLR inputs with a -6dB attenuation switch (something that really ought to have been provided in the lower models IMO!) was really important, and I was also desperate for an amp with huge output meters :cool:.

Each 'upgrade' was an upgrade to my ears. All the Yamaha amps I've owned display a very natural, open and effortless sound without colouration, and remain relaxed and fluid even at higher listening levels. The A-S3000 in particular provides a noise floor that's lower than any other amplifier I've owned (I can't hear any background hiss even when my ears are a matter of inches from the tweeter), and again a very natural and transparent presentation with perhaps just a touch more solidity/heft in the lower registers without sacrificing openness or detail.

I did contemplate the A-S2100, which was very tempting at its lower price, but I (perhaps foolishly) ruled it out without even auditioning it because I reached a point in my audio journey where I wanted to go TOTL and thus remove the potential for any future urge to upgrade again. I was lucky enough to find an 'open-box' A-S3000 that wasn't too far away in price from a 'new' A-S2100. At full RRP I wouldn't have been able to afford the 3000 and would by default almost certainly have gone for the 2100.

I definitely consider my 3000 to be my 'lifetime' amp, or at least I did before Yamaha announced its new C-5000/M-5000 pre- and power-amp combo a few months ago! Short of winning the lottery however, it is unlikely I'll be able to afford these any time soon, so I'll continue to slum it with my A-S3000... ;)

Have you had any issues with the protection circuits kicking in? I have read a lot on a couple of other forums to the point where it seems to be happening too often to be deemed a rare occurrence.

Thank you.

The A-S3000 will obviously sound better as its power meters are larger.

This alone is worth upgrading for :)

Have you had any issues with the protection circuits kicking in? I have read a lot on a couple of other forums to the point where it seems to be happening too often to be deemed a rare occurrence.

Thank you.

If it helps I can tell you my AS2100 has performed faultlessly .

My protection circuits have never kicked in either. I have however noticed what sounds like a gentle mechanical 'crack' from the unit on occasion once it's been on a while but I have a feeling this is a physical phenomenon rather than an electrical one, i.e. I suspect it's a result of thermal expansion. My plasma TV and Mac Pro computer make similar noises during operation so it's something I'm used to. PS - my amp sits in a wooden hifi rack so it could even be the rack that's making these noises as the wood heats up and cools down!

The A-S3000 in particular provides a noise floor that's lower than any other amplifier I've owned (I can't hear any background hiss even when my ears are a matter of inches from the tweeter)

What’s the sensitivity of the speakers you are using with the Yammy?

Thread resurrection.... If anyone was contemplating upgrading to the A-S3000 then I'd be very interested in a 2100. Preferably black but not a deal breaker.
Also could someone tell me the height, incuding feet, of the 2100? Cheers

Thanks for the link twotone & I'd love to have it but £2k is too rich for me. Maybe someone else can upgrade & I'll help fund it by buying their 2100 :)

advertisement

Back