advertisement

Magazine

Delighted to see you've finally seen the, er... Daylight, Tony!

It's a masterpiece, but I do recall it took some getting into, as better albums often do.

Standout track: Back to Nature, Adamson's bass playing is a pure delight.

Just listened to The Correct Use of Soap, sounds a little dated in places but overall still excellent. Thanks to this thread I've re-discovered it. Can't find my copy of Magic, Murder and the Weather, which is vexing.

Got the live album Play (if that's the one you mean), bought it from our dear leader if I recall correctly. From what I remember I think you're right about Magic, McGeoch had left by then which was probably a big factor.

Never rated Magic etc...it’s ok but not in the same class as the rest. The live album Parade is ace.

They're both missing John McGeoch for starters. Robin Simon ('Play') was a slightly better proposition than Ben Mandelson.

Yeah I think having someone else playing that stuff live was fine (Noko did a great job when they reformed). But in the studio it had to be JM.
Let’s not consider the album they made after reforming...oh dear...

always interesting how it's the first two or so albums that really seem to stand out - maybe this is fodder for another thread

The rock/pop section of my record collection certainly suggests that. I actually went through and weeded out unnecessary third albums etc a while back to help populate the pfm Record Shop. There are a few exceptions here and there, but on the whole rock bands are usually done within about an hour and a half of music. Jazz and classical plays be entirely different rules, often getting better with some age and experience.

always interesting how it's the first two or so albums that really seem to stand out - maybe this is fodder for another thread

This is because:
- The first album comes after years of gigging. The band /artist can identify their strongest material and it's all been worked up and polished on the road ahead of the record deal and studio time.

- The second album uses the the material that didn't make the debut. It's not as strong but just as well rehearsed and similar in style. The shortfall in quality is partially made up with a greater confidence in the studio and the record company prepared to spend more on production (better studio, better producer etc)

- Third album is the first time new material is needed. Usually less time to road test and work-up on the road. Often stylistically different so not as popular with the fans.

Spot on. In fact you could add that the first album is often the culmination of everything the band/writers have experienced throughout their lives thus far...influences, early attempts, songs discarded, revised, etc etc.

This is because:
- The first album comes after years of gigging. The band /artist can identify their strongest material and it's all been worked up and polished on the road ahead of the record deal and studio time.

- The second album uses the the material that didn't make the debut. It's not as strong but just as well rehearsed and similar in style. The shortfall in quality is partially made up with a greater confidence in the studio and the record company prepared to spend more on production (better studio, better producer etc)

- Third album is the first time new material is needed. Usually less time to road test and work-up on the road. Often stylistically different so not as popular with the fans.

wouldn't dispute that ... though for myself i'd thought of it more like later albums being worse simply because there were pressures put on the artist to 'produce' and oerhaps a certain amount of distraction or 'drift' from the original vision that might not have been 'productive' in this instance ... other side of the coin mostly i suppose ...

Had a listen to the first side of Murder Magic and The Weather and it is nowhere near as good as I remembered. Really flat to be honest. The first three are the ones followed up by Devoto’s Jerky Versions.

By the third album, a key band member has usually quit.
roxy music might be a good example of that ... apparently bryan ferry hated eno but maybe he leant a good tension to ferry's act as none of the post eno albums are as good IMO

Funny you should mention Roxy Music. I don't know why but I always felt that Magazine were the band that they would have been if Ferry had left and Eno had stayed.

advertisement

Back