advertisement

Worst musical genres ever.

I never managed to get into the noise scene. Think Merzbow. Everything else is game though, as long as it has a decent tune, I don't care what genre it is.

Well like another poster Country Music is not my favourite but I find that it is a paticular genre of Country known as Nashville or Hat Act country that I do not like . Many other artists like Lyall Lovett , Alison Kraus , Asleep at the wheel are excellent . With regards to rap and hip hop again much passes me by but Gil Scott Heron , Missie Elliot and others make some very good music.

I admit I used to dismiss reggae until I heard it properly, there was a BBC docu recently on it featuring that famous white reggae dj, David Roddigan, and it was/he was amazing. He called Reggae music a 'fever' and that makes so much sense, like Salsa or latin music.

ah two more genres that make me puke.
if its a fever maybe they should go see a doctor and get a pill

That Glass/Nyman branch of minimalism that always ends up going

Duddelee-diddelee
Duddelee-diddelee
Duddelee-diddelee
Duddelee-diddelee

Wagner (I tried)

Any genre that Radiohead inhabit.

Anybody that isn't George Clinton that says they play something that is both rock and funk. You are both shit and completely superfluous.

Manufactured pop, boy bands, girl bands, country and western, rap and hip hop.

agreed with the manufactured pop music (including country)

the worst genre of music was started by Candlebox, who I blame for starting the genre of music that became Nickelback, Creed, Staind, etc

I don’t think there is any genre that can be written off entirely, though there has always been a lot of third-rate dross in every genre. The gems are rare and widely spread.

Though I think it the density of gems is very much higher in classical music because of the rigorous selection criteria that apply before a composer is generally considered a recognised "composer", e.g.:

(a)A high level of musical attainment (and usually inspiration) is needed even to be able to write and notate a plausible piece of music of reasonable length, especially for multiple performers
(b)It has to have sufficient enduring value to make it worthwhile for groups of skilled musicians to be prepared to perform and practice it many years (even several hundred) after it was first composed

I admit I used to dismiss reggae until I heard it properly, there was a BBC docu recently on it featuring that famous white reggae dj, David Roddigan, and it was/he was amazing. He called Reggae music a 'fever' and that makes so much sense, like Salsa or latin music.

Reggae had a good period. The evolution from Ska-Rocksteady-Reggae was interesting, and there were a number of artists doing good work at least as long as Marley was alive. Shortly thereafter the Dance Hall thing took over, and it's been crap ever since.

advertisement

Back