advertisement

Worst musical genres ever.

Frankiesays

Rats is life.
Being a part of the 'mod' youth cult back in the 80s, we used to listen to the 'mod revival' music of the late 70s/early 80s (yes a few years too late), and the original mod music of the 60s like the Who and Small faces. Most of us quickly realised the revival stuff was pap, the worst kind of pap, musicians and song writers so utterly devoid of talent or the merest flicker of intelligence! I cannot listen to it now without grimacing, anyone else care to exercise their musical demons?

As a generalisation, i dont like country music. But, i like some of it.

So, there are no genres that are totally out of the question. I like some of everything.

For me, its the old cliche..... there is good music and bad.

I dont like the bad stuff, whatever genre it is supposed to be in.

I can’t be done with rap or hip-hop especially when it’s blaring out of crap speakers in a messed up Corsa or Fiesta with far too much bass. I also don’t understand the liking for heavy metal either. I guess it just doesn’t suit my ears.

I admit I used to dismiss reggae until I heard it properly, there was a BBC docu recently on it featuring that famous white reggae dj, David Roddigan, and it was/he was amazing. He called Reggae music a 'fever' and that makes so much sense, like Salsa or latin music.

'New Age'

I used to have a lot of respect for Rick Wakeman until he went that way along with Mike Oldfield for a while..

Probably because of my age:
Britpop
Rap
House
Drum and Bass

I’m sure there must be others, but I’m off to listen to
Dolly Parton...

Come on rap music makes serious statments, both lyrical and muscial, what does mod revival do? Laughable.
Please cringe worthy genres only!

Serious statements?
You must be kidding.

I’ve pondered this for a while and can’t think of a single genre where I can’t find any redeeming examples/things I like. I’d have instinctively said heavy metal, but thinking about it there is still a little I like and I have to recognise a lot of the modern stuff is exceptionally clever with odd drop-tunings, remarkably complex rhythms etc even if I’d not actually want to sit down and listen to much of it. I can’t even single-out religious music as whilst church hymns, Christmas carols etc are unbearably tacky and irritating you then have things like Gregorian chants, Bach, even John Coltrane! Country & western is the same, much is saccharine crap, but you also have Johnny Cash, Howie Gelb etc etc. I don’t think there is any genre that can be written off entirely, though there has always been a lot of third-rate dross in every genre. The gems are rare and widely spread.

I’ve pondered this for a while and can’t think of a single genre where I can’t find any redeeming examples/things I like. I’d have instinctively said heavy metal, but thinking about it there is still a little I like and I have to recognise a lot of the modern stuff is exceptionally clever with odd drop-tunings, remarkably complex rhythms etc even if I’d not actually want to sit down and listen to much of it. I can’t even single-out religious music as whilst church hymns, Christmas carols etc are unbearably tacky and irritating you then have things like Gregorian chants, Bach, even John Coltrane! Country & western is the same, much is saccharine crap, but you also have Johnny Cash, Howie Gelb etc etc. I don’t think there is any genre that can be written off entirely, though there has always been a lot of third-rate dross in every genre. The gems are rare and widely spread.

I was going to agree with this completely, then I remembered bagpipe music...

Swedish comunist 1970's prog. I had to endure it on the radio every night when they (very smugly) told us how they had ready made answers for everything.

Am not a fan of the instrument called a concertina, I enjoy folk music and used to go to folk nights but that instrument seems overly popular on folk nights.

advertisement

Back