advertisement

Oh Britain, what have you done (part ∞+12)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are no double standards here, people voting in protest to guarantee another 5 years of Tory Brexit, is indeed, utterly stupid, regardless of whether people think voting in protest against the Tory regime in 2016 was stupid.
Suppose I felt aggrieved, ignored politically, and vengeful...

You know, as I'm sure you can imagine some remainers do.

I might vote in a way which I knew would damage the country, political parties and the people who voted for that outcome in the first place.

You'd be okay with my voting that way? In view of the precedents claimed? The self destructed vote of the disenfranchised?

There are no double standards here, people voting in protest to guarantee another 5 years of Tory Brexit, is indeed, utterly stupid, regardless of whether people think voting in protest against the Tory regime in 2016 was stupid or not. I don't see how ensuring Tory rule, after 8 years of misery this country has endured under this government is sensible, especially for those who wanted to remain, May will never offer another ref, she will never end Brexit, where is the sense in doing this.
Yes, but these are exactly the sentiments many of us here set out in relation to those who voted leave in protest: it's a stupid thing to do, which will have a disastrous outcome for the country as a whole; how will it make things better for them; what is the sense in taking us out of the EU (which, among other things, requires social and employment protections for the weaker among us which the Tories could dismantle)?

Your response was that it was stupid to call this protest vote stupid, because you understood why they did it so if we didn't understand, it was us who were stupid. Not them.

Now, however, you think another protest vote, which would be likely to have a disastrous outcome for the country as a whole, is stupid. I genuinely don't see the distinction which allows you to call one stupid, but prevents us doing the same for the other.

Happy new year, btw.

Then expect to be called stupid by people who think this course of action is self destructive, it is now what matters, the past is the past, no changing it, surely those who profess higher intelligence to those who protest voted in the 2016 ref, should follow their own advice & vote for the betterment of the country.

Do you feel Brexit will be handled better with this government in charge of it, I don't.

Then expect to be called stupid by people who think this course of action is self destructive, it is now what matters, the past is the past, no changing it, surely those who profess higher intelligence to those who protest voted in the 2016 ref, should follow their own advice & vote for the betterment of the country.

Do you feel Brexit will be handled better with this government taking the reins for 5 years, I feel we need a new direction, it's not working, this government have f^cked up, as is the view of many in this country.

Do you feel Brexit will be handled better with this government in charge of it, I don't.
No, but on what basis can we have any confidence it would be handled better by a party which has failed to effectively act as an opposition to arguably the most incompetent government in living memory?

Yes, but these are exactly the sentiments many of us here set out in relation to those who voted leave in protest: it's a stupid thing to do, which will have a disastrous outcome for the country as a whole; how will it make things better for them; what is the sense in taking us out of the EU (which, among other things, requires social and employment protections for the weaker among us which the Tories could dismantle)?

Your response was that it was stupid to call this protest vote stupid, because you understood why they did it so if we didn't understand, it was us who were stupid. Not them.

Now, however, you think another protest vote, which would be likely to have a disastrous outcome for the country as a whole, is stupid. I genuinely don't see the distinction which allows you to call one stupid, but prevents us doing the same for the other.

Happy new year, btw.
People voted in protest in 2016 as they felt it would be for the betterment of the country, call this stupid or not, it was not an intentional act of destruction against the country, even if it proves to be in the future for many who voted remain, voting in protest now, by those who claim to have superior intellect is stupid IMO. How can ensuring a Tory Brexit be sensible at this point, how else can I call it but stupid, it is a selfish act against a politician who could actually get this country back on level footing across the board, because he refuses to "end" Brexit, the knives come out, wake up call, no politician is going to end Brexit so why stick with this bunch in charge, havn't they caused enough damage.

Shouldn't've voted for it then...
So, let me get this straight.
You vote for this shitshow then expect me to vote the way you want, so what you voted for is less damaging?
Good luck with that...

People voted in protest in 2016 as they felt it would be for the betterment of the country, call this stupid or not, it was not an intentional act of destruction against the country, even if it proves to be in the future for many who voted remain, voting in protest now, by those who claim to have superior intellect is stupid IMO.How can ensuring a Tory Brexit be sensible at this point, how else can I call it but stupid.

Do you think Brexit is stupid, or just Tory Brexit? I think Brexit is stupid full stop, although the harder the Brexit, the more stupid it gets.

Are you beginning to regret voting Leave?

No, but on what basis can we have any confidence it would be handled better by a party which has failed to effectively act as an opposition to arguably the most incompetent government in living memory?
What would you have the Labour party do at this stage, what would you do if in charge of the party.

To be honest I don’t think it matters much. Brexit will cause a recession/depression either way, so those at the bottom of society are going to get reamed again regardless who is in power as there simply won’t be the tax budget to pay for the unemployment benefits, social care etc. Whichever party is in power they will have to bribe corporations etc to stay in a failing declining nation and help retain some employment, so any left-wing daydreams Corbyn may have will be dashed against a very sharp reality pretty swiftly. In many respects I feel it would be better to see the Brexit disaster owned outright by the political right and allow something far more credible than Corbyn’s hopeless Labour Party to regroup ready to rebuild the country from this mess in five years time.

Do you think Brexit is stupid, or just Tory Brexit? I think Brexit is stupid full stop, although the harder the Brexit, the more stupid it gets.

Are you beginning to regret voting Leave?
I wanted a Labour Brexit, it's old ground, not going over this all again, I felt Brexit would force a GE, it did, it ended Cameron's reign, unfortunately May has proved to be far worse, which is why i'm staggered at the idiocy shown here by supposedly intelligent people. Voting against Corbyn at this stage will guarantee another 5 years of Tory rule, could well be with a no deal Brexit, I cannot fathom the reasoning, that is unless, as I have stated before, Tory rule will affect very few at this level so keeping them in is an insignificance, IMO, intelligent folk voting now in protest against a man who could well heal some social division & create a fairer society, is far worse than anyone who voted out of sheer desperation in 2016, those who had been battered to a pulp by Cameron, this is a selfish, intentional act of sheer stupidity.

I wanted a Labour Brexit, it's old ground, not going over this all again, I felt Brexit would force a GE, it did, it ended Cameron's reign, unfortunately May has proved to be far worse, which is why i'm staggered at the idiocy shown here by myself
FIFY

What would you have the Labour party do at this stage, what would you do if in charge of the party.
I would have spent a large part of the last two years showing that I was an effective opposition, and could therefore be trusted to form an effective government. I would have looked at the marginal Tory seats I'd need to win over, to gain power at a GE, and I would have done as much as I could to draw the wavering Tory supporters to my side of the argument, whatever the argument might have been. I'd have spent the last two years showing occasional or reluctant Labour voters that they should throw their lot in with me, because they are the people I'd need to convince, if I were to win a GE.

I wanted a Labour Brexit, it's old ground, not going over this all again, I felt Brexit would force a GE, it did, it ended Cameron's reign, unfortunately May has proved to be far worse, which is why i'm staggered at the idiocy shown here by supposedly intelligent people. Voting against Corbyn at this stage will guarantee another 5 years of Tory rule, could well be with a no deal Brexit, I cannot fathom the reasoning, that is unless, as I have stated before, Tory rule will affect very few at this level so keeping them in is an insignificance, IMO, intelligent folk voting now in protest against a man who could well heal some social division & create a fairer society, is far worse than anyone who voted out of sheer desperation in 2016, those who had been battered to a pulp by Cameron, this is a selfish, intentional act of sheer stupidity.

Personally, I can't see anything intelligent in enabling a damaging act of self-harm that was won by lies, misinformation, dark money, cheating and law-breaking. Perhaps you beg to differ.

Push hard and mobilise cross party support for a ratifying ref/peoples vote.
Instead of twatting about thinking a General Election is going to fall out of the sky in their lap.
People's vote on what? May's remain deal vs remain? No deal vs remain? at this point it's playing Russian roulette with the future of the country. More sensible IMO to get the deal voted down, then move on, it seems to be Corbyn's strategy, which is sensible I feel.

Personally, I can't see anything intelligent in enabling a damaging act of self-harm that was won by lies, misinformation, dark money, cheating and law-breaking. Perhaps you beg to differ.
We cannot go over this again, surely, the protest vote had zero to do with lies or misinformation, the Farage & Boris followers vote against immigration & nonsense about the NHS, not the government, voting in protest now, with the future all too clear is a selfish act, not borne of desperation but of self delusion that someone, anyone is going to end Brexit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back