advertisement

Folk/Acoustic

maccar

pfm Member
Any Folkies on PFM? if so, please recommend some artists/albums... doesn't have to be pure Folk.
Some of my faves are; Karine Polward, Jackie Oates, Martha Tilston, Angus and Julia Stone, Laura Veirs.
Mac

Have you heard "Diamond Mine" by Kenny Anderson aka "King Creosote"? There is a wistful beauty about his musical arrangements and presentation that I find very affecting every time I listen.
ML

My brother introduced me to Kathryn Roberts and Sean Lakeman, a man and wife folky-type group but not of the “Hey nonny” variety, and I'm really taken with them. I can highly recommend their album “Tomorrow Will Follow Today”.

Tim Wood - Gettin Your Own Back.......rare as hell and bought after a great performance at the Rockingham Arms Folk Club. Great if you can get hold of it.

Great response guys, keep them coming... some more from me:
Josienne Clarke and Ben Walker, Chris While, Reg Meuross, Kitty MacFarlane, Hannah Rarity, John Smith, Emily Barker,The Furrow Collective.
Mac

Vri - Ty Ein Tadau, (review here)
Taj Mahal - Oooh So Good and Blues
Dick Gaughan - Handful of Earth
Incredible String Band - Liquid Acrobat as Regards the Air
Robin Williamson - A Glint at the Kindling
Andy Irvine and Paul Brady
Martin Simpson - The Golden Vanity
Nic Jones - The Noahs Ark Trap
Alan Stivel - Renaissance of the Celtic Harp
Ian Carr and the Various Artists - Who He? (amazon here)
Tim Dalling - Blossom (review here)
Anouar Brahem - The Astounding Eyes of Rita
Dan Hicks and his Hot Licks - Striking it Rich

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
This brilliant! terrific response... jugt found a copy of Andy Irvine and Paul Brady album on Discogs for a fiver

Some state side Folk/acoustic... Canyon City, Barnaby Bright, Peter Bradley Adams, The Wailin Jennys, Sarah Jarosz, Jeffrey falcault, Richard Shindell
Mac

Seanm’s post has reminded me that June Tabor did a stellar version of the Waterstones’ Scarecrow on her Abyssinians album. She is a great folk singer, and I’m particularly fond of the album she did with Martin Simpson, A Cut Above.

Seanm’s post has reminded me that June Tabor did a stellar version of the Waterstones’ Scarecrow on her Abyssinians album. She is a great folk singer, and I’m particularly fond of the album she did with Martin Simpson, A Cut Above.

Topic have a series of “An Introduction To...” albums by people such as Tabor, Martin Carthy, Dick Gaughan, Martin Simpson etc. There are some great tracks on the June Tabor one...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B077F9QQQD/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

I don’t think they’ve been mentioned so far, but don’t forget Planxty, a great Irish band.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

advertisement

Back