advertisement

The TRUTH Why Modern Music Is Awful

I think this challenges the generalisation. Modern and utterly fabulous indie pop, and, look, all played on live instruments.

I'm not sure I've heard such an uplifting song about feeling sad since "The Charming Man".

Kevin

I think this challenges the generalisation. Modern and utterly fabulous indie pop, and, look, all played on live instruments.

I'm not sure I've heard such an uplifting song about feeling sad since "The Charming Man".

Kevin
No generalization is completely true, and you all keep ignoring the nuance and caveats included in the earlier discussion. ALL* modern POP is crap, that's the assertion. Modern indie stuff can often be very different, and have never failed to recognize that.

*mostly

Stay stuck in 1966 then and leave us to it. Music consumption has changed, you can't compare 50 years ago with now, in the same way you can't compare a 1960s F1 car and driver with a modern one, except through rose tinted specs.
You keep reacting as if I wasn't 'leaving you to it.' Stay as 'to it' as you may fondly wish!

You are the one who's insisting there is something wrong with me and my opinion.

Do not recall contradicting what I just said at an earlier time. Will agree it's an age thing if you can quote such.

I do not much bother going back over past posts, mine or others so quotes are not my strong point. Here and now for me generally, I prefer moving on, rightly or wrongly.

To find music that one appreciates has always been difficult, more so now because of our past preferences/intolerances maybe!

Bloss

FWIW I’m currently watching an old 1962 film ‘Ring A Ding Ding Rhythm’ (also known as ‘It’s Trad Dad’) on Vintage TV. It is an all-star cast featuring Gene Vincent, Chubby Checker and countless other early rock ‘n’ roll and pop acts along with several of the white UK trad-jazz revivalists (Acker Bilk etc). To my ears it is at least 90% vacuous junk and makes the point I’ve made all along in this thread that pop music always has been lightweight garbage on the whole. To think that Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Mingus, Monk, John Lee Hooker, Howling Wolf etc etc were each changing the world at this time helps demonstrate that total disconnect for me. This was quite a radical film in its day too, much of the charts, radio etc was way, way worse!

Sure, every now and again something genuinely great gets in the pop charts, but on the whole it is saccharine vacuous manufactured by the yard junk that no one with any real interest in music should ever take seriously.

The mainstream has always been pretty horrible!
Plenty of quality mainstream stuff in the 80's, lot's of diversity, the pop stuff now follows a well trodden path, much less diversity in chart music these days.

I personally couldn't compare Howlin' wolf with any artist, the man was a one off giant of his genre but so was David Bowie, I wouldn't call his output junk, it's a bit extreme, he had plenty of chart hits, so have many others in his class, Ian Dury (another favourite of mine), there are just too many to mention, completely disagree with your analogy.

Also a lot of chart stuff today is good. A lot is dross too.

I suppose the question is what was meant by the thread title. What is actually written however, is too dogmatic IMO.

I don't see why it matters if there is a lot of dross in the charts these days.

There seem to be so many charts it's hard to know what is being referred to. Nor am I interested in slavishly adhering to any one in particular.

Gone are the days when listening to Pick of the Pops every Sunday was my musical inspiration.

Like many on PFM, I assume, my musical choices are affected by favourite radio stations, favourite magazines, mates and Internet forums.

Like what I'm on!

Watching the 'The Truth...' video I got a new argument for hating ABBA! If they hadn't been big no one would have bothered about Swedish pop and we would have been spared Max Martin.

Plenty of quality mainstream stuff in the 80's, lot's of diversity, the pop stuff now follows a well trodden path, much less diversity in chart music these days.

istm all the new fangled technology that they have these days means there's vastly more diversity.
It may not be in the charts, but it's readily accessible.

istm all the new fangled technology that they have these days means there's vastly more diversity.
It may not be in the charts, but it's readily accessible.
Outside of the charts yes, lots of diversity, the charts seems to be full of plinky plonky soulless dross. There have bee the odd standout this year but quite poor overall.

I agree, but looking back at 80s TOTP for e.g. istm the charts have always a bit that way.

Kevin

A somewhat flat-sounding voice.
Does nothing for me...

advertisement

Back