advertisement

God Fleetwood Mac were good

Fair enough, and well played. Bought "Then Play On" the other day - flawed, but who cares? Shame the doco on BBC 4 glosses over the early stuff. Yes, their later pop albums were nice, but the electricity (and tensions) between the three leads on their first albums was never equalled. I mean, "Somebody's Gonna Get their Head Kicked in Tonight" - satire, violence and one of the best Elvis impersonations recorded in one song.

Nah - Just got "Bare Trees"- more for the cover than the music, I have to say. Yet to play it.

saw them in the late 60's with Kirwan and Spencer (and Peter Green of course) and they were the tightest band I have ever seen.

They morphed when Peter left, and turned into something completely different, far too commercial for me...

As said by others, their first albums were good. Live they were brilliant. Very sad when the "German" drugs do affected Green, who was such a excellent player/writer.

saw them in the late 60's with Kirwan and Spencer (and Peter Green of course) and they were the tightest band I have ever seen.

Lucky so and so.:mad::D

That is not to say the 'Kiln House' era was poor because it was not...they were still very good indeed.:)

My favourite Fleetwood Mac recordings are probably the epic Live in Boston set and Then Play On by the first incarnation of the band and Bare Trees, the best album made by the short lived lineup led by Danny Kirwan. The Buckingham/Nicks material doesn't do much for me.

Loved Rumours, liked Tusk, lost interest after that. Too slick, too smooth.

Really loved the earlier Peter Green period. Saw him in concert around 2001, he was very fragile. Played Man of the World as an instrumental encore - he couldn’t bear to sing the words.

Then Play On - classic album, very underrated. The singles around the album Oh Well & Green Manalishi we’re also highlights at the time.

I happen to think that that song is one of the greatest songs ever composed, it is simply majestic & I could listen to it all day long.

Peter Green & Paul Kossof are my guitar heroes, they could get notes out of the guitar that nobody else could touch, simply spellbinding.

advertisement

Back