advertisement

System pics 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
yes that's a totally different kind of design from what i have in mind - and since i'm not fettered down by shipping weight considerations i can use much beefier steel members etc and have a lot more freedom with the design. here's the basic prototype drawing i did to illustrate. one of the primary goals was to have all seemless members and mitred joints (rather than butted joints or any overlapping -which always looks a bit 'hack' to me)

rack.gif

NOT ... really ... a 'system pic' per se as much as just wanting to show a 'proof of concept' 'rack' i built for my naim boxes - i thought it kind of smart looking actually - I was trying to come up with something very 'naimey' though with this version i wished I'd welded the mounting rails on TOP instead of below -more concealed that way you know? first time welding too ... not so much fun at the moment but i hope to expand this (maybe) to a multi-tier affair ... sorry for the crap photos

rack4.jpg
rack1.jpg

rack3.jpg
Very similar to but no doubt cheaper than Mana...

Thanks :) A project I've been working on for a while, had Wilmslow Audio put them together for me. The cabinets became a labour of love they are made of 120 year old Cocobolo Rosewood 3mm thick applied to 18mm MDF sheets 100mm wide then joined together with a continuous vertical biscuit joint. The flat panels were made by an old school cabinet maker then CNC'd, mitred and Internally braced with a 'ring beam' 2/3rds of the way up.
Rear ported with 185mm port so tuned to 38hz in a 21L cabinet. Volt BM228.8 mid/bass unit and Scanspeaks Revelator D2905/9900.00.

More about the build here.https://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/port-tuning-a-relatively-small-20l-enclosure.212875/

Have yet to read the entire DIY thread, hope a few questions is welcomed

Indeed they look stunning

Puzzled by the rear port placement and same time they seem to work quite close to wall ?
Would non ported version be possible ?
Will any version be available at Wilmslow, either as DIY or finished pairs ?
Did you create a BOM and cost calculation ?

Hope you have kept the Proacs, guess they are not that easy to improve, so looking forward hearing process

Bill of Material
Most manufacturers building products, regardless of their industry, get started by creating a bill of materials (BOM).

Guess you did not create one, perhaps many speaker engineers don't?
Wilmslow proably need to if they intend to launch the speakers

The bill of materials can be understood as the recipe and shopping list for creating a final product.

Well in that case yes i did, i gave them the exact drawings and spec with all materials, quants and requirements. They manufactured my design.

The big drawback with shelf mounted kit is access to the rear, which itself can endanger I/Cs and other connections when swapping or whatever.

After a generation at least of many Target shelves (for mainly Naim), I gave up the ghost a few years ago and built a wooden 3 shelf unit away from the wall so I could get behind it.

Cheers per, I'm very please with the result. They are about 15cm from the rear wall atm, will be playing with placement over the next few days. The port is designed to have a little effect as possible. there no chuffing and not much air flow comes from them even when playing really loud, just a 'gentle flow'

This may sound bizarre, but the ESL-63 make me realise how good the Devialet digital phono amp is, compared to my previous Art Audio Silver Reference that cost a small fortune. Somehow it adjusts the noise level depending on the volume you're playing at, and you can adjust the equalisation curve, sensitivity, loading and load capacitance on the remote as the record is playing.

32540614318_ec3df6c580_h.jpg

This may sound bizarre, but the ESL-63 make me realise how good the Devialet digital phono amp is, compared to my previous Art Audio Silver Reference that cost a small fortune. Somehow it adjusts the noise level depending on the volume you're playing at, and you can adjust the equalisation curve, sensitivity, loading and load capacitance on the remote as the record is playing.

32540614318_ec3df6c580_h.jpg

Can you please stop posting images of your T/T please.:D

Theres some amazing systems and piccies here, i have serious envy, I really do.

I'm also a little nervous putting some piccys of my system up! In my defence, this is all very new to me and I'm slowly building it up - everything in my systems is second hand, here goes...

Audiolab 8000a (bought off of Ebay, this has been modded by Audio Cellar and I also had John at JS Audio upgrade the powersupply).

Cambridge Audio CXN Streamer, ebay.

Vienna Accoustic Bach Speakers, hifi shop on Tot Court Road, long gone - ex demo.

Dual505 TT, Gumtree.

Edge Phono Interconnects.

Analysis Plus Black Oval 12 Speaker Cable, ebay.

Aticama Eris Hifi Stand, ebay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back