advertisement

System pics 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was going to post a picture of my Devialet Reactor, which I bought yesterday lunchtime, but my kids came back from university last night and it's already disappeared into my 18 year old's bedroom. He thinks it's absolutely fantastic.

At the same time, they gave me a huge amount of grief over the recently installed Quad ESL-63, and even more over the acoustic panels I had to install behind them. So I removed the panels and filled the holes in the wall with Polyfilla, and went off round the house to do a few more filling jobs. I came back half an hour later and found my 18-year-old sitting in front of the ESL 63 listening to some rap music with a big smile on his face admitting they do sound incredible, in fact he was completely spooked out by them. I think they've won a reprieve.

Thanks :) A project I've been working on for a while, had Wilmslow Audio put them together for me. The cabinets became a labour of love they are made of 120 year old Cocobolo Rosewood 3mm thick applied to 18mm MDF sheets 100mm wide then joined together with a continuous vertical biscuit joint. The flat panels were made by an old school cabinet maker then CNC'd, mitred and Internally braced with a 'ring beam' 2/3rds of the way up.
Rear ported with 185mm port so tuned to 38hz in a 21L cabinet. Volt BM228.8 mid/bass unit and Scanspeaks Revelator D2905/9900.00.

More about the build here.https://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/port-tuning-a-relatively-small-20l-enclosure.212875/

I was going to post a picture of my Devialet Reactor, which I bought yesterday lunchtime, but my kids came back from university last night and it's already disappeared into my 18 year old's bedroom. He thinks it's absolutely fantastic.

At the same time, they gave me a huge amount of grief over the recently installed Quad ESL-63, and even more over the acoustic panels I had to install behind them. So I removed the panels and filled the holes in the wall with Polyfilla, and went off round the house to do a few more filling jobs. I came back half an hour later and found my 18-year-old sitting in front of the ESL 63 listening to some rap music with a big smile on his face admitting they do sound incredible, in fact he was completely spooked out by them. I think they've won a reprieve.
Oh to have 18 year old ears again....

Oh to have 18 year old ears again....

I was playing Mingus "Blues and Roots", UK first stereo pressing, through the ESL-63 it absolutely blew my socks off. My elder son is into blues, I'm looking forward to doing the ESL thing on him. I'll post a picture up later.

NOT ... really ... a 'system pic' per se as much as just wanting to show a 'proof of concept' 'rack' i built for my naim boxes - i thought it kind of smart looking actually - I was trying to come up with something very 'naimey' though with this version i wished I'd welded the mounting rails on TOP instead of below -more concealed that way you know? first time welding too ... not so much fun at the moment but i hope to expand this (maybe) to a multi-tier affair ... sorry for the crap photos

rack4.jpg
rack1.jpg

rack3.jpg

Trying to get my head around this but it's outnumbered by all those.:)

Outnumbered and surrounded.

The CR-2 is mine, since 1990 or so.

The others I buy, repair, upgrade, and sell. The CR-1 has found a new home by now, the CR-3 is nearly finished, and the CR-4 will be a job for January, time permitting. There is a 'new' CR-2 now, not in the pictures, awaiting the same fate.

I was trying to come up with something very 'naimey' though with this version i wished I'd welded the mounting rails on TOP instead of below -more concealed that way you know? first time welding too ...

Unless something's hidden, there seems to be just the two rear wall fixing vertical supports and no 'bracket' supports like Target tables. Is all that weight really supported as it looks?

Jonathan
Make two more.
One for the pre, one for the PS.

It’ll sound a lot better.

i may separate the shelves ... i thought it smarter maybe to make a multi shelf piece one for each piece or shoebox pair ... then i have my exposure amps too ... but by having a 3-4 shelf piece i can use the rear member for structural support, thereby 'hiding it' in the frame ... that is to say the vertical rear piece wont need to extend beyond the unit the way this one does ... i wanted it visually as spare as possible. i am not sure it affects the sound that much but my preamp definitely shouldnt be in that position ... should be on the left side ...

Unless something's hidden, there seems to be just the two rear wall fixing vertical supports and no 'bracket' supports like Target tables. Is all that weight really supported as it looks?

yes exactly ... not to worry ... it will hold just fine ... unless my shoddy welding gives ... it was just a 'test piece' though and will be replaced. the weld itself is silicon bronze (straight 'steel' would be slightly stronger) but the way i cut the steel was a bit like a 3D interlocking puzzle piece ... labour intensive but theres a lot of surface area to the weld so it should be just about as strong as the steel members themselves ... its a very light job for structural steel i would think.

I'd imagine properly welded L or square stock should be ok without a knee bracket. I guess it depends on the thickness of the stock and the weld job...

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back