advertisement

Oh Britain, what have you done (part ∞+11)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It would depend on if Corbyn or a coalition could negotiate a new deal, if they could, then put it to the public.

OK. That needs:

1 - Labour to win the election.
2 - Some means to persuade the EU to renegotiate the exit deal to achieve that.

Which are both fantasy.

I am confused as you keep saying very baffling things and telling people saying waht seem to be very reasonable things how they are wrong and don't understand anything. But let's assume that's just me being dim, and you just explain what you think should happen and what Labour should do now so we end up with something other than May's deal or No Deal in 3 months time.
Parliament needed to force an election, not happened, now May is here for 12 months so basically we are stuck with a no deal Brexit under a Tory government as I cannot see any other option, she will not cancel Brexit, she will not offer a referendum, her deal will not get through, it's basic maths.

I'm afraid this forum proves this tactic would never work, same pretty much everywhere else too, it's fairy land.
The full quote was "People talking and listening to each other, not shouting and arguing on or offline, to find common ground. "

The Labour plan was to act after the meaningful vote, but May cancelled the meaningful vote.

Then the plan was to wait for May to come back from Brussels having failed to secure the changes needed to win the meaningful vote. Which is where we are now. But May will no doubt say tomorrow that she hasn't failed and needs more time and we have to wait till next year.

So Labour's problem is that they are facing a moving target. Let's see what they do tomorrow after May's statement. I suspect probably nothing.

Also bear in mind that if Labour do move a no confidence motion and fail then May becomes even more the (malfunctioning) terminator that can't be stopped. She'll start believing she's unstoppable.

It is astonishing that the Tory's aren't being whipped. Even without Brexit, at this point in a Parliament the Opposition is meant to be doing better.

To throw another couple of poll of polls into the mix on a Remain or Leave referendum:
https://whatukthinks.org/eu/questions/if-a-second-eu-referendum-were-held-today-how-would-you-vote/
https://whatukthinks.org/eu/questio...ns-membership-of-the-eu-how-would-you-vote-2/
They don't seem to tell entirely the same story, possibly due to the number of polls being pooled differing. If anyone can explain the difference I'd be grateful.

The first is far from a slam dunk for Remain, though the second is more optimistic for Remain.

If I were Remain, the suspicion of shy Leavers among the Don't Know's would worry me. There's a handy remove the Don't Know buttons which helps a bit, but presumably this assumes Don't Knows either won't vote or will vote 50:50 for Leave:Remain.

Absolutely. Some of the more ardent Remainers are living in a fantasy world if they think a second referendum will be a pushover for them. I can easily see it backfiring spectacularly.

Incidentally, this kind of polling data is also the key to understanding Labour's position - many activists are extremely nervous about coming out strongly in favour of Remain.

As for the cliche that Labour ought to be 20 points ahead now it shows a surprising inability to join the dots: Brexit can't be both "the most important political issue in a generation" and have zero impact on traditional voting patterns. If, in a parallel unverse where the referendum never happened, the Tories had to stand on thir record in government, Labour could indeed hammer them and I'd expect to see this reflected in the polls. Unfortunately, we live in the real world where seemingly intelligent, liberal-minded posters here describe Corbyn as "wittering on" about poverty at PMQs - with that kind of attitude, the polling deadlock is no great mystery.

There was a referendum in 2016, over half of the voting population voted to leave the EU. If the vote had been remain, which would have seen Cameron & Osborne carry on their punishing regime, I would have had to accept it.

Didn't Farage regard the prospect of 52-48 as "unfinished business"? Had this result been the other way the Leave campaign for a another vote would have been relentless. There is no high ground here, just an absurd impasse with a very real reduction in UK influence and wealth in prospect. If Labour don't properly oppose - there is no chance of them winning an election any time soon.

Yup. Basically, people don't give enough of a shit about the devastation caused by Tory/Lib-Dem austerity to get behind Labour.

Oh but they do. However they also believe there is nothing about Brexit that won't worsen it. So it has to be the priority to stop that. Brexit - the effects will be permanent, or at least require a later reversal and all that goes with that. The Tories could easily be back after just one term, especially if Labour spend it struggling to deliver much change with a badly damaged economy.

The Labour plan was to act after the meaningful vote, but May cancelled the meaningful vote.

Then the plan was to wait for May to come back from Brussels having failed to secure the changes needed to win the meaningful vote. Which is where we are now. But May will no doubt say tomorrow that she hasn't failed and needs more time and we have to wait till next year.

So Labour's problem is that they are facing a moving target. Let's see what they do tomorrow after May's statement. I suspect probably nothing.

Also bear in mind that if Labour do move a no confidence motion and fail then May becomes even more the (malfunctioning) terminator that can't be stopped. She'll start believing she's unstoppable.
Labour don't have a plan.
I want an opposition with a plan.
I am not represented by either of the main UK parties.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back