advertisement

Oh Britain, what have you done (part ∞+11)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, assuming the system can stagger on until then. Seems a long way off, doesn't it?

Rawnsley’s great advantage as a pundit is that he genuinely doesn’t understand anything and really believes that his ideas occur to him spontaneously. Lots of his peers have earn their keep the hard way, pretending to believe in this kind of recycled bien pensant crap.

To be fair, he consistently slagged off New Labour when they were in power.

Rawnsley’s great advantage as a pundit is that he genuinely doesn’t understand anything and really believes that his ideas occur to him spontaneously. Lots of his peers have earn their keep the hard way, pretending to believe in this kind of recycled bien pensant crap.

Well explain it then. Simply and straightforwardly. Cos on the face of it what Corbyn is doing looks like some combination of terrible and bonkers.

Sky just had The Johnson’s brother (Joe?) arguing quite articulately for a second referendum. Sadly this was followed by Labour’s truly awful Kate Hoey who sounded just like Farage, Banks or any other far-right scum promising unicorns, arguing to renege on money owed, and generally understanding any of the issues in play. A shameful disgrace that reflects on her party. Nicola Sturgeon on now showing what a proper political argument looks like...

PS Hoey is pure DUP in many respects. That came over in the interview, i.e. I suspect much of her ugly insular UKIP-style nationalism and protectionism comes from an entrenched NI unionist position.
Hoey is a is a disgrace to the Labour Party. Which us why she won't be standing at the next election. TV get her on deliberately to discredit Labour. What she thinks is totally irrelevant.

As you know, there are perfectly reasonable provisions on EU FoM that the UK has, for reasons best known to itself, elected not to enforce until now. A new government could build something around those existing but unused provisions, assuming of course the political was there to start with.

Yes, absolutely bizarre. I simply fail to understand the games that have been played around FoM, without any obvious (to me) objective. However, that apart, Labour will still not get the 'benefits' of the SM and the CU without being in them.

As to the cons, what is this madness of Javid's relating to EU immigrants on sub-£30,000 salaries. The food processing and hospitaility industries will stop dead, not to mention the NHS. It's crackpot. What sort of a bubble do these people live in?

Yeah, but did you get your curtains sorted. Big job that.
No, don't be stupid. Drag around shops 2 weeks before Christmas, unless I have to? Bollocks to that. Still, thanks to the conversations here I know where I'm going come the time and roughly what it ought to cost. I'll happily concede I know FA about curtains and I'm happy to stay that way. Still, thanks so much for your ongoing concern, I can see that interior design is important to you.

No, don't be stupid. Drag around shops 2 weeks before Christmas, unless I have to? Bollocks to that. Still, thanks to the conversations here I know where I'm going come the time and roughly what it ought to cost. I'll happily concede I know FA about curtains and I'm happy to stay that way. Still, thanks so much for your ongoing concern, I can see that interior design is important to you.

Interior design is indeed one of my passions though I don't know how you knew that. Our house was bought as an uninhabitable wreck over 30 years ago and it's still not finished. I've had to ask advice on lots of stuff but have never needed to go onto an Internet forum to get advice on curtains. Removing King Posttrusses yes. Installing bifold doors, yes. Sound proofing for a home cinema, yes. Curtains, no.

Good luck with the curtains. Big project by the sounds of it.

Why on earth would you think that? It's pure fantasy.

The vast (read: all but 5 or 6 nuts like Hoey and Field) majority of Labour MPs viscerally oppose both May's deal and no deal. There is no chance Labour will go down this path (which, incidentally, would negate any prospect of the GE Labour is aiming for).

Your post is a perfect example of how the Brexit debate has completely deranged even supposedly intelligent people.
I see two problems with a GE, one political, one practical.

The political one being that Brexit will be the elephant in the room, if Labour and Conservative both stick to their currently stated commitment to bring about TWOTP. If they do that, and Labour win, the disaster that Brexit will be, will be owned by the party in power when it comes to pass. People forget who lit the fuse, and just remember who was holding the bomb when it went off. If the GE is to serve as a test of people's views as to Brexit, that requires Labour to campaign for remain. Something it seems unlikely to have time to gear up for if the GE is to happen in sufficient time to avert the crisis coming our way at the end of March.

The practical problem is Purdah, which effectively hobbles Parliament, local government and the civil service for 6 weeks pre-election. We can't spare that time, here and now.

But doubtless, Jeremy has a plan, no? We just can't be trusted to know it, just yet.

I see two problems with a GE, one political, one practical.

The political one being that Brexit will be the elephant in the room, if Labour and Conservative both stick to their currently stated commitment to bring about TWOTP. If they do that, and Labour win, the disaster that Brexit will be, will be owned by the party in power when it comes to pass. People forget who lit the fuse, and just remember who was holding the bomb when it went off. If the GE is to serve as a test of people's views as to Brexit, that requires Labour to campaign for remain. Something it seems unlikely to have time to gear up for if the GE is to happen in sufficient time to avert the crisis coming our way at the end of March.

The practical problem is Purdah, which effectively hobbles Parliament, local government and the civil service for 6 weeks pre-election. We can't spare that time, here and now.

But doubtless, Jeremy has a plan, no? We just can't be trusted to know it, just yet.

Yes. It's all Labour's fault. Corbyn is a clown. Labour should be 20 points clear in the polls. The end.

I think they're just using Brexit as an excuse for the massive drop in demand for diesel (which hit's them particularly hard, more so than the regular car makers) and a slow down in sales.
You’re right, they’ll use the downturn in demand as cover to shift production out of the UK and production will leave the UK due to business uncertainty around Brexit now and in the future. I wonder why the pound is effectively going for 1:1 with the $ at currency exchanges now? “It were overvalued anyways, nowt to do with t’Brexit”.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back