advertisement

Who's Heard the Dutch & Dutch Speakers

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you only have a turntable and digital source that connect through Ethernet (eg Roon Nucleus or streamer) you won’t need an external source selector.

Understood that entire system is digital till the cones so yes i see this too. How is the dithering handled, which processor is being used and how many bits does it use to mask the lossy attenuation.... and at what db does the processor actually start chopping bits off?

It is digital until the DACs. The amps are analogue. The digital processing is done with 32 bits (billions of steps).

Do both speakers have to be connected to ethernet or is one speaker connected and then the speakers themselves are tethered like the KEFLS50s?

How do they (or can they) fit with a Naim system. I have a 552/300 into SL2, can the 552 go directly into the D&D8c?

.sjb

Once the speaker’s parameters are set, the speakers can be disconnected from your LAN.
But to attenuate volume and with the upcoming ‘Roon ready’ both speaker’s will have to be connected.
You can also use them more like traditional actives, sending an analogue signal from your preamp, there is no reduction
in sound quality.
Keith

Do both speakers have to be connected to ethernet or is one speaker connected and then the speakers themselves are tethered like the KEFLS50s?

How do they (or can they) fit with a Naim system. I have a 552/300 into SL2, can the 552 go directly into the D&D8c?

.sjb

If you want to stream to them or use them with the web app then both speakers need to be connected to Ethernet. In some situations they might only need to be connected to Ethernet during the initial setup. After that you can either send a single analogue channel to each speaker or use AES to chain them together.

You can connect them to a NAC 552. You just need some suitably wired DIN to XLR cables. In this situation you could disconnect the Ethernet cables after completing the initial setup.

Last edited:
I note that the AES inputs on the D & D 8C's can be configured for left or right. My Musical Fidelity KW DM25 CD transport only has AES outputs, one for each channel into the KW DM25 DAC. Presumably this would work into the 8c's configured left & right?

I guess I would have to swap XLR's for my analogue turntable source, but don't see that much of a problem if you can 'hot swap' safely, which I assume you can as these are also designed for studio use? It would just be a case of running a second set of cables?

Can the Kii3's be set up in a similar way?

I note that the AES inputs on the D & D 8C's can be configured for left or right. My Musical Fidelity KW DM25 CD transport only has AES outputs, one for each channel into the KW DM25 DAC. Presumably this would work into the 8c's configured left & right?

I guess I would have to swap XLR's for my analogue turntable source, but don't see that much of a problem if you can 'hot swap' safely, which I assume you can as these are also designed for studio use? It would just be a case of running a second set of cables?

Can the Kii3's be set up in a similar way?

As long as MF is not doing something proprietary here, that should be fine on the 8c. The Kii Three might be a bit more complicated due to their use of KiiLink.

Last edited:
Reading this thread with a great deal of interest.

What stands are the retailers posting on here suggesting for use with the D&D?

Do they come with any kind of grille, or are the drivers visible at all times?(checking before broaching the subject with my wife).

Reading this thread with a great deal of interest.

What stands are the retailers posting on here suggesting for use with the D&D?

Do they come with any kind of grille, or are the drivers visible at all times?(checking before broaching the subject with my wife).

I offer a couple of stand options. There is an open frame design and a six column design, both customised to exactly match the base plate of the 8c. I will post some pictures when I next get back to a proper computer.

No grilles, sorry. However, there is a mesh grate in front of the tweeter which will help keep inquisitive fingers away from the diaphragm.

These are stock photos so not the same dimensions as the 8c versions, but you should get an idea of how they look.

Open frame stand
Custom%20Design%20Open%20Frame.jpg

Six column stand
Custom%20Design%20FS106.jpg

I believe Lee and I both frequent ‘Custom Design’ for our stand needs, they make this model to your specification, acoustic centre of the speaker is midway between woofer and tweeter about 30cm fromthe base of the speaker.

Keith

Thanks for the photos. I'll broach the cosmetics of this with my wife, before going any further. If aesthetics are a no-go, there is little point in asking for a demo. I do like the idea of reducing my box count, although I would retain both my CD and LP players, so would need line in type pre-amplification...

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back