advertisement

Who's heard the Kii Three speakers?

Second thing, why would somebody offer analog input on speakers like this? Why would anybody want to convert the signal 3 times? If people want to enjoy benefits of analog gear this is not a product to do it.

Well, the AD-DA conversion in the Kii would be more transparent than the orders of magnitude more distortion added by playing a record with a stylus would be, so perfectly reasonable to use Kiis with a turntable. Unless you’re in the ‘analogue signal path purity religion’, in which case it would be heresy to do so! Many Devialet owners also play vinyl too, and enjoy it very much.

I’m having a home demo of the Dutch & Dutch 8c on Wednesday. If I get them I intend to mainly use them with my Roon Nucleus but also a turntable and phono stage for an extra bit of fun.

Kii Control is as I understand usb/spdif/optical to ? Kiilink signal converter and a digital volume control. If this is so, then I'm really concerned about value of this product. 1,5k for this is ...
Second thing, why would somebody offer analog input on speakers like this? Why would anybody want to convert the signal 3 times? If people want to enjoy benefits of analog gear this is not a product to do it.

The price of the Kii Control certainly raised a few eyebrows while I was selling them, but as well as the features you mention, it unlocks some additional capabilities inside the speakers which are otherwise unavailable and it makes some already available features a little easier to use. Depending on the rest of your system, you may not need it. For some people though, it represents better value than the alternative options.

As to why you would convert the signal three times, you would not. The speakers carry out two conversion steps at most. They convert analogue to digital, carry out any signal processing in the digital domain, then convert back to analogue.

Do we know of such a dealer ?
:D

Ultimate Stream sell both for example, and Keith of course.

I tried, I really tried, to not use the Kii Control but in the end capitulated and bought it. It integrates with the DSP inside the speakers directly. Given the overall cost, it seemed silly to not use the complete Kii ecosystem. Given the price, it could do with a few more inputs and an integrated streamer/bridge would really cap it all off.
Even better to abandon it altogether aka KEF LS50 wireless.

Kii Control is as I understand usb/spdif/optical to ? Kiilink signal converter and a digital volume control. If this is so, then I'm really concerned about value of this product. 1,5k for this is ...

The analog input is useful for people who have analog inputs in addition to a digital source. Say a turntable. I also have a tube based preamp that I sometimes listen to - just for fun - and I can feed it to the Kiis. There are apparently lots of users feeding a turntable to the Kiis who are very happy with the results. The analog to digital conversion on the Kiis is basically transparent. Analog sources connected to the Kiis still keep their analog flavor.

The Kii control also allows remote volume and source control, and as said, gives you more control over the DSP functionality and features of the Kiis.

Many people are happy with Jbl flip. If everything is ok, why not adding a preamp as well. I'm sure many people would use it.

So Kii have just stuck up Martin Colloms' review for Hi-Fi Critic on their website.
To give him credit, Colloms mans up and says he'd avoided reviewing them 'cos he thought they'd be rubbish ("switching" amps etc.).
Also to his credit he admits he was wrong: says they, "sound more like £25,000 worth of gear" and even then does stuff conventional systems can't.

I said on these very pages that I thought the midrange and imaging was electrostatic: He says they, "resemble the Quad ESL63 in the fine coherence, focussed timing, lack of coloration and the near point source focus". I also said previously that in many ways they sounded like headphones, reflected by his comment, "more like a great pair of cans than speakers in a room".

While I don't need independent verification of what I think I hear, it's nice when it happens. Anway, it's there to read if anyone is interested. I was very surprised given his previous affections.

More evidence that people who haven't heard these and who are thinking of spending some £££ ought to give them a listen.
I was originally perplexed by their cost relative to my previous system (which was largely bought used) but have come 'round to thinking that they are an absloute bargain for what they offer. I did hear a better system a couple of weeks ago but it was 65K...

I bought a pair of Kiis and the Kii control and even the stands from Keith back in the spring. They’re connected to a roon nucleus, a turntable and the TV. Extremely pleased with them. I was a frequent box swapper for the past few years and had some well rated kit but I’ll be keeping these.
I’d also looked at alternatives to the Kii control to save money but it makes everything so convenient, so for me was well worth having.

I bought a pair of Kiis and the Kii control and even the stands from Keith back in the spring. They’re connected to a roon nucleus, a turntable and the TV. Extremely pleased with them. I was a frequent box swapper for the past few years and had some well rated kit but I’ll be keeping these.
I’d also looked at alternatives to the Kii control to save money but it makes everything so convenient, so for me was well worth having.

How do you have your turntable connected? Direct from the phono stage or with a preamp?

Keith,
If using a preamp with built in phono stage or modules is it better to use the preamp outs (i.e including the output stage and volume control of the preamp) or take the output from the record out bypassing the volume control and use the volume control in the Kii3's?
If doing it this latter way and coming from RCA record outs (that are unbalanced) are the Kii3's in anyway problematic with an unbalanced to balanced (XLR) input using an adapter or correctly wired XLR plug? Hum, noise etc.
Jim

Jim, you would have to experiment and decide which you prefer , if you keep the preamp you are adding extra circuitry, the attenuator on the Kiis is excellent and it is possible to adjust the gain of the analogue input so it matches your other sources.
Recently Kii added another 12dB of gain so it is easily loud enough.
I wouldn’t think there would be ny issues going from RCA to XLR.
BW Keith

The Kiis don’t have RIAA equalisation so you would need a phono stage.
Keith

I know! That’s why I asked if he was using his phono stage connected directly to the speakers, or with a preamp connected between the phono stage and speakers for easy volume control.

advertisement

Back