advertisement

Oh Britain, what have you done (part ∞+9)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you mean 37/35. 72% of the electorate voted, 48% of 72 is ~35. 52% is ~37. I'm not overlooking the arithmetic, but we can only consider the people who vote..

I was referring to the way it's assumed to be a fraction of the 'people'. As in 'will of der peeps', ad naus...

And the point of the UK political system is that we elect representitives who are meant to serve and consider *all* the people. Not just those who voted for them. The referendum was *explicitly* 'advisory' and MPs are meant to represent *all* the people in their constituency.

It's been a choice of every Tory government in my lifetime Jack. Tories actually enjoy punishing the poor.

For the past eight years the poor have suffered disproportionately because of austerity. I'm pretty sure poor people didn't cause the banking crisis. But that is irrelevant to the Tories, working people are seen as a commodity to be manoeuvred and manipulated in order to make rich people richer.

So, we then get to the biggest mystery in my life that I can simply never fathom out no matter how I try. WHY DO ORDINARY WORKING PEOPLE VOTE TORY?

I would give anything for a magic bullet of information that could make these people see that voting Tory will always make them and their class worse off.

HarryB Some people have an inverse snobbery,I would not lower myself to vote for them. some people are too thick to work out that such a vote works against their own aspirations. Some people manage to live without to much need or care for a sense of morality.

Some old lady from the road I lived in, a tory supporter ran out with with a bucket and small shovel to collect the manure dropped by the milkmans horse and proudly proclaimed that she was going to put it on the rhubarb to which my old dad said we put custard on ours, she never spoke to him again=====Tories

However we have to assume that the can't-be-bothereds, the unwell, those on holiday or otherwise away, and all the rest, have a similar split to those who do vote. In this instance I can't see how they would be a different demographic and voting intention.

No. We do not *have* to assume that. Indeed, it is clear that - for example - people who were "too young to vote" would, from other evidence, have been more likely to have voted 'remain'. (Remember, also, that in the Scots IndyRef the voting age was lowered because that was felt fairer.)

Nor can we assume those who did not vote couldn't be bothered. Some explicitly said that the compaign was so stuffed with rubbish that they had no idea which way to vote. Others wanted to, but were prevented.

So simply taking for granted they'd all have the same split is a belief that evidence does not support.

It's been a choice of every Tory government in my lifetime Jack. Tories actually enjoy punishing the poor.

For the past eight years the poor have suffered disproportionately because of austerity. I'm pretty sure poor people didn't cause the banking crisis. But that is irrelevant to the Tories, working people are seen as a commodity to be manoeuvred and manipulated in order to make rich people richer.

So, we then get to the biggest mystery in my life that I can simply never fathom out no matter how I try. WHY DO ORDINARY WORKING PEOPLE VOTE TORY?

I would give anything for a magic bullet of information that could make these people see that voting Tory will always make them and their class worse off.

It's nuts that working people vote Tory, Harry. Unfortunately they will keep on doing so unless the can be persuaded otherwise. The latter is an uphill struggle given most newspapers and broadcasters are Tory at heart.

I met a mate at a funeral yesterday, who lives outside Mombasa. He told me the BBC gets most of its money from overseas territories. The adverts they run are often ones for banks. There is very little news about what is actually going on in Britain.

The banks are the people who lean on the BBC to say how wonderful T'reeza is and Corybn's coat stinks.

Jack

Wolfie/Citizen Smith. He's taking the piss. Right-wingers are intellectually and morally bankrupt so that's all they can do.

I wouldn't call myself right-wing at all. Arkless and Harry are definitively left-wing though. It's the 'all tories are scum' line that does it, I think. Nice.

I wouldn't call myself right-wing at all. Arkless and Harry are definitively left-wing though. It's the 'all tories are scum' line that does it, I think. Nice.
You come across as somewhat to the right of the current centre (which itself is well right of where it was pre-Thatcher).

There is a streak of nationalism in some of what you post, and I can't remember a single time when you've expressed sympathy for socially or economically progressive policies - often, you just take the piss. Most of what you write is consistent with the Conservative Party in the Thatcher era, when it might (just about) plausibly be described as the party of small business and entrepeneurship and before it sold its soul to large corporations.

That's how you come across to a (relatively) calm, analytical observer (trust me, I'm a scientist).

No signs of a new Brexit Secretary though. No rush I suppose ;-)
The silence would have been deafening :)
Brexit means Remain so why appoint another muppet.
Appoint the cat, it has as much chance of getting through to this woman as anyone.

Hey up. New Brexit Minister is Stephen Barclay.

You are forgiven if you've never heard of him. I haven't.

No doubt he's a right banker ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back