advertisement

ID a ‘shroom?

Bit like this one that I posted about a few years ago. Mull reckoned it was a Clitocybe(?), IIRC, and he was right. Must be a Suffolk thing!

mush-1.jpg

That is Clitocybe Nebularis 'The Clouded Agaric' It doesn't tend to have the funnel shape in the cap and the gills, whilst 'decurrent' (joining the stem at a slant) are less so than in the OP. It's also a very distinct grey colour and has a strong sweetish aroma. It grows in woods and woodland edges and can form large rings and arcs. Some people eat it. Most don't.

Clitocybes can be edible, inedible, or in the case of Clitocybe Dealbata, deadly poisonous.

For the OP, I'd go with the Common Funnel Cap or the Tawny Funnel Cap, both Clitocybe species, but I wouldn't rule out one or two of the Laccaria (Milk Cap) species. I'd want to be there, equipped with at least two or three books.

As I always say on this topic, unless you are ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN that you have an 'edible', do not eat it. Even if you are certain, do not eat large quantities of any new mushroom, as many edibles can cause allergic reactions is susceptible people.

Unless you know a species.. which is a bit like recognising a familiar face, you need to consider size, season, smell, colour, habitat, etc,etc.

It looks like a chanterelle. They can be very pale and should have a faint smell of apricots. You can also take a spore print which should be a pale cream colour.

Yum,

DV
If you think that's a chanterelle, may I respectfully suggest you leave wild mushroom omelettes off the menu at your place?

As I always say on this topic, unless you are ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN that you have an 'edible', do not eat it.

Unless you know a species.. which is a bit like recognising a familiar face, you need to consider size, season, smell, colour, habitat, etc,etc.
That reminds me of a potentially nasty incident a few years ago. I was out walking with the dogs through a local wood when I espied a lovely crop of Chanterelles. As I was gleefully picking them, a local couple were walking past, asked what I was up to, and I proceeded to wax lyrical about how lovely these mushrooms were to eat and suggested they help themselves to some, which they duly did. Back home, and the doubts started to nag...

A quick Google, and it was clear these weren't Chanterelles, and indeed were pretty poisonous. A Frantic phone call later, thankfully my friends were more sensible than me and decided to bin them. Whew!

There's a fair old crop of field mushrooms around at the moment so I picked a good doggie-poo (unused) bagful yesterday and cooked them last night. Maybe because they're a bit later in the year than usual but they were free of the usual maggot infestations.

If you think that's a chanterelle, may I respectfully suggest you leave wild mushroom omelettes off the menu at your place?
Unlike others on this thread I gave two tests that must be met and so far as I can see no one has performed these - well one of them takes 3 days. It was only a suggestion based on just one photo and no info about its location and what other mushrooms were spotted within the vicinity. These are also valid markers. There are a large variety of chanterelles varying from almost white to yellow and this just might be an odd one crossed with spores from abroad but without tests we won't know. Photos alone are no good.

Cheers,

DV

Definitiley not a chanterelle. There is only one form of chanterelle. It is yellow and has the form illustrated in the picture I posted above. There are four other species in the Cantharellus group which are seen in Britain. Only one of them, Cantharellus Infundibuliformis, even remotely resembles the OP, but clearly has a wavy cap border and is also smaller and differs in colour, and critically in having folds rather than true gills.

craterellus_tubaeformis_02.jpg

Cantharellus Ferruginascens is a whitish yellow form of Cantharellus which quite closely resembles the true Chanterelle, but is generally smaller, trooping/tufted etc. I've had lots of them from Somerset. I've never found Chanterelles in the NW, or in Nottingham, even in ancient woodland.

12202092246_97a172b401_b.jpg

Sometimes a picture is enough.

ngffb.jpg

But only if you have a keen eye and advanced training in natural history.

Joe

I knew there was a reason I didn't much like cats.

Just noticed in the OP that the grass appears to have been cut. So this may be a park? Parks tend to have 'specimen' trees which differ from 'natural' woodland species and can lead to some odd, obscure or unusual fungi appearing, whereas for the most part, the species in 'natural' woods, such as those of Birch, Beech, Oak etc., tend to support fairly predictable species. However, this too differs according to soil 'substrate', such that there is a different mycological profile on chalk or limestone substrates. Some of the most deadly fungi are seen mostly on chalk or limestone.

Joe, what actually is that "cat" that is clearly anything but? It's not like any European animal. As for taking it home and putting it in the house, how did the guy manage this and keep his fingers?

Steve,

It's the North American opossum, a marsupial found here rather than down under. I call the big one bitey.

Joe

Joe can you have a word with the Canada postal service who appear to have been on strike for weeks. I have a box stuck in the system, I know they don’t know how important I am so I will forgive them this time.

Thanks

advertisement

Back