advertisement

The Brilliance of Tiny Desk Concerts - any other recommendations?

kjb

Proof reading not always a strength
I've been reminded over the past week just what a rich and varied source of new and old music the Tiny Desk Concerts are. I think they show how dreadfully dull and tired a format Later is. Better than MTV live, spontaneous and, in the best cases, revealing new sides to the music. Watch the end of the Florence show - she's struggling to perform in front of a small audience. Not cared for before but quite like her here.

Any other fans here? There are hundreds of them - which ones others you recommend?

Some of my current faves below:

Gogopenguin

Noname

even stuff I don't like can be good

old favourites

new favourites

There are hundreds of them - which ones others you recommend?

btw - the Anderson.Paak one, which has already been shared here a few times, has 25 million views - I may have contributed a hundred or so of them. The Noname set might appeal to AP fans.

Last edited:
Yes been watching and liking them for years, even if it's not something I'd necessarily buy/listen to I still give most of them a listen.

Too many to list but a few I've enjoyed

Love this

I'm not really a Wyclef fan, but he seems to know his stuff and tells a good story, fun if nothing else.

off the top of my head, the Cornelius, Daniel Lanois, and Efterklang ones are superb.

Well, thanks for sharing! I just watched the Public Service Broadcasting; I have some of their records and had no idea they were a duo! I love it that he's so unlike a rock-god! I'll be sure to watch some more.

Loads of good stuff here: thanks and keep them coming. The Tank and The Banga one is awesome and I didn't realise either Tedeshi/ Trucks of PSB were so worth checking out.

The very first Tiny Desk Concert.
Recorded on April 21, 2008.

Oregon-based folksinger Laura Gibson played her songs "Hands in Pockets", "A Good Word, an Honest Man", "Come by Storm" and "Night Watch", three of the songs from her 2006 album "If You Come To Greet Me".

After the first song you can see the show's host Bob Boilen stepping in and briefly introducing what inspired the show's concept.

Last one I promise. Great live arrangement on this. And I think she might just about be the most beautiful woman in the world.

great post, Jake

love the band and the grooves they get. yes, she looks good, but i dont like her singing. i wish she would just open her mouth a bit and sing, instead of that nasal tone that she produces.

advertisement

Back