advertisement

Photos from Kruger National Park, wildlife photos etc....

Cheetahs became my favourite big cat when I first learned about them as a small child. They are stunningly beautiful and amazing cats. I've only seen them once in the KNP and that was during my first ever night drive. We saw a pride of 5 or so. I don't think I'll ever equal that sighting.

Revelation time. I've gone back over my old photos of our first park visit in March 2009. We hadn't seen any Leopard all trip, then thought we saw a couple of cubs on the way of of the park as we were leaving the Orpen Gate. How blind was I? - these are Cheetah! I've seen more than I thought I had.

IMGP3446 by Mark Slade, on Flickr

IMGP3437 by Mark Slade, on Flickr

Mark, that's very cool. I often saw things in the photos later, that we'd completely missed at the time eg the baby giraffe's umbilical chord, and the fish in the spoonbill's mouth earlier in the thread. But I can only dream of finding Cheetah in any of my shots!

Just back from a second trip to Kruger so a good excuse to revive this lovey thread.

This time was much drier than in February - fewer colourful birds but we had some great cat sightings. Still no cheetah though. I thoroughly recommend this - the photography potential is outstanding, particularly with self-drive as you can just stop anytime you see something.

We saw this leopard several times - it had an impala in a tree near to our camp. It has an injured eye.
Leopard lying_1 by Ian123_running, on Flickr

On a wonderful couple of day's walking the rangers found lions eating a giraffe (the carcass was in bushes so very hard to see). There was a very interesting stand-off... Being on foot 30m from him was quite an experience.

Lion_standing by Ian123_running, on Flickr

You never know what you'll see: we spotted these jackal pups receiving their regurgitated meal about 5 minutes before we left the park.

Jackal family feeding by Ian123_running, on Flickr

Finally for now - the Crested Barbet is a very lovely little thing:

Crested barbet_camp by Ian123_running, on Flickr

Ian

Last edited:
Great pics Ian. Had a look at your others on Flickr too. Incredibly lucky to see a Honey Badger!
Walking there is an incredible experience. We had to make way for an elephant herd last time.

Just booked to go back in January before our Sanparks Wild Cards (year long pass) run out.

Great pics Ian. Had a look at your others on Flickr too. Incredibly lucky to see a Honey Badger!
Walking there is an incredible experience. We had to make way for an elephant herd last time.

Just booked to go back in January before our Sanparks Wild Cards (year long pass) run out.

Thanks Canonman and Tarrzan - much appreciated. The Honey Badger was a treat - wandering along near the road one morning. I just grabbed two shots from the car before it wandered out of sight - this was the best of them. They look to be beautiful animals with big claws. I gather it is quite rare to see one in the wild - though while we were there someone saw one raiding a bin in one of the camps.

Honey badger by Ian123_running, on Flickr

Yes, Honey Badgers are notoriously difficult to spot and are one of the most aggresive animals on the planet. They have no fear and have been filmed taking on Lions.
There was a great documentary on TV about them, showing them raiding bins. Hyenas came along with the same idea, saw the Honey Badgers and cleared off pronto!
If you see one of these and an Aardvark in one day.....do the lottery,

Yes, Honey Badgers are notoriously difficult to spot and are one of the most aggresive animals on the planet. They have no fear and have been filmed taking on Lions.
There was a great documentary on TV about them, showing them raiding bins. Hyenas came along with the same idea, saw the Honey Badgers and cleared off pronto!
If you see one of these and an Aardvark in one day.....do the lottery,

Supposed to be one of the most fearless animal on the Planet- they bite yer bits apparently.:confused:

Only zebra, but I liked the grouping and light

29938010218_c847a655b7_b.jpg

A couple of birds with sharp beaks in the utterly beautiful Hoarusib river valley. Completely raw and wild. Various animals wandering around. The colours were just spectacular.

43057516614_2c2da3679f_b.jpg

My favourite bit about safari. In the gazebo with a GnT watching the sun go down, the wife doing her yoga on the deck.

43100860480_89f554e0eb_h.jpg

Nice, sls4321. 'Only zebra' is quite funny - after a while it's 'only impala', even 'only giraffe' but they are all brilliant and each sighting is different. We just love the small stuff too. You see these birds everywhere but never realised their plumage is so elaborate until I looked at this pic:

Go-away bird by Ian123_running, on Flickr

Last edited:
If you go to the Djuma webcam (where it's dark at the moment, obv.), you can have a good game of "Name That Creature" !!
It's managed by volunteers who are known as zoomies! No doubt about the leopard earlier, magnificent, but I know what you mean!

advertisement

Back