advertisement

White Album 50th

42973399_267051737484891_2907973857976843496_n.jpg
Pro-Ject-2Xperience-The-Beatles-White-Album-03.jpg

50th White Turntable

Where are the other 49 ?

I got the vinyl today. It sounds great, but more importantly it has made me really listen to this album again. There are some duds, obviously, (though even Bungalow Bill sounds good) but the good songs really stand out and sound as fresh as they did the first time heard them. It's a really nice package too.

I wonder if Giles Martin is going to work on Abbey Road?

Giles Martin already works at Abbey Road, doesn’t he ?
Re-mastering Beatles’ recordings.

The 3 disc CD gets you everything you need, the Deluxe set is just for the collector who must have everything, and it comes with a hardback book.
Thank you. :)

I don't want the CD set though, but the high res download. But I may have looked at the wrong product anyway, I'll check again.

Edit: Found it, less than €40. Thanks again. :)

Looking on Amazon it seems that the are quite a few tracks on each LP size. Are they full tracks - seems like a lot and still get excellent sound quality. Or are some tracks just 'takes''?

I have the Blu-ray and the DR is 12 which is fine and certainly better than 2009 CDs. I've played only a couple of tracks and will give at go v the German DMM vinyl which has always been my favourite.

I have an 80s re-press on vinyl, plus the (as yet unplayed) D'agostini ('Calderstones Music') reissue from the recent series. Had a quick look on Amazon last night and ended up totally confused. A number of different CD offerings,from 2-6 or more discs and a selection of 2, 3 and 4 disc vinyl offerings.

I think I may take a punt on the 3 Disc CD, for 15 quid or so.. but I'm not paying hundreds for 'ultimate' vinyl, as I suspect that rather like buses.. 'there'll be another one along in a minute.. '

I just wish the Blu-Ray disc was available separately, I'd buy it in a flash. I reckon Revolution No 9 would be a hoot in 5.1 sound.

Listening to the Esher Demos on Spotify, specifically While My Guitar Gently Weeps, and they are great. The question now is do I want a 3-CD set, the every recording and book box, or the vinyl?

Alternatively I could simply stream the album. It is 2018 after all.

Jack

Listening to the Esher Demos on Spotify, specifically While My Guitar Gently Weeps, and they are great. The question now is do I want a 3-CD set, the every recording and book box, or the vinyl?

Alternatively I could simply stream the album. It is 2018 after all.

Or you could buy a 24/96 download from Qobuz of the 6 CD set. The possibilities are endless.

I bought the three-CD set tonight after work. The Esher demos are really good, especially if you like stripped-down versions of songs you know well.

I’ve not seen the vinyl or super CD sets, but I would think the three-CD version is the sweet spot.

Joe

I bought the three-CD set tonight after work. The Esher demos are really good, especially if you like stripped-down versions of songs you know well.

I’ve not seen the vinyl or super CD sets, but I would think the three-CD version is the sweet spot.

Joe

In a way the 6 CD set is worth it for the studio banter during the out-takes. I guess you have to be a fan to think that <grin>.

Steve,

It was tempting, but the three-CD set is $27 and the six-CD plus Blu-Ray is $200. That's a lot cabbage for some banter.

Joe

Steve,

Banter aside, how are the musical bits and bobs in the deluxe set?

Please say it sucks, please say it sucks, please say it sucks, please say it sucks, please say it sucks, please say it sucks, please say it sucks,

Joe

Joe, overall it's excellent.

I haven't done a direct comparison, but the remix doesn't sound wildly different to the original. The top and bottom sound better and I kept coming across things I hadn't heard before, but that may just be because I was listening more intently. There's a 1,000 page thread (I exaggerate only slightly) on the Steve Hoffman site which goes into much more depth (as you'd hope with something of that length).

The Esher demos were great. I'd not heard any of them before, so this was all new.

The outtakes are fascinating. As I mentioned above I found the version of Julia very moving, but all of the tracks are worth listening too IMHO. I was surprised by how many takes some of the songs took - over 100 in some cases.

Overall 5*

No comments on the extras as I haven’t got to those yet, but the album remix and sq is superb, I’m a bit suspicious of remixes and reissues in general but this is a great job imo. I wonder if Giles will have a crack at Revolver and RS. Love the monos of those but would like to hear a good stereo mix of those. Even just a vocal centred alternative would be a start.

advertisement

Back