advertisement

Find me an LP12

matt j

pfm Member
I think I should probably own one of these at some point even if it's just to say I've tried one. Problem being I don't know the first thing about them because there seems to be an endless list of upgrade parts both Linn and aftermarket and not being from that era none of it makes much sense when looking.

If I were just looking for one that gave me 90% of what an LP12 is about, what spec should I look for? Budget won't allow for any of the modern craziness so I guess it will have to be an old one and I'm not much interested in getting on a never ending treadmill of upgrades, just an honest, decent LP12. I know not much about their arms either FWIW.

If it also just so happened to be a nice looker as well that would be a bonus, quite like the afro fluted plinth version.

Speak to Peter at Cymbiosis. At least then you’ll know if any older decks come in part ex. You aren’t far away from his place... a little trip down the A46.

Or you could save yourself the trouble and go Rega? I do like the look of the new RP8, but my LP12 doesn’t sound too bad. I would consider a few more tweaks to it, money permitting. Only reason for considering this is I don’t mind having that option..

Aren't Regas and LP12s chalk and cheese? I'll be honest and say I've never got on with the various Regas I've owned, and I've had a few. So if an LP12 is anything at all similar I'm probably going to cross it off the list.

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5...0001&campid=5338728743&icep_item=173633160060

Prices are rising, I paid less than £1k for similar spec deck with Syrinx PU3 less than a year ago.

Pre Cirkus with Valhalla and Ittok a classic combination, but @ £1.5k + too much IMO.

I've had a couple of them, (one with Geddon clone + Aro), but I gaze at them and think about upgrades, I've resisted so far and moved them on (less the arms ;-) ) at no real cost. As you say, ownership is an itch to scratch I find them a bit of short term fun, but go back to my idlers.

*to throw a spanner out there, I've got Oracle Delphi here, another iconic deck that already has a solid aluminium chassis and !2v motor :D

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
It depends entirely on your budget. LP12s go for silly money at the moment and even if you take a punt on an ebay auction, you're looking at around £750 minimum for a decent table/arm combination. They're lovely decks though, so worth grabbing a good one if you see it. You might even enjoy the trial and error of setting one up if you're planning to do it yourself. Read a setup guide before you buy - I'm sure there's one buried on the Cymbiosis website? It'll be a worthwhile read and will determine whether you really want an LP12 ;)

Reactions: mww
There is someone here who is using the plinth from an LP12 and disposing of the actual LP12 itself - have a word - a no-nonsense plinth should not cost much at all - probably one amongst PFMers surplus too.

Matt, have you heard any within the context of your rig?

What is the rest of your set up?

(You can come have a listen to mine...)

Matt, have you heard any within the context of your rig?

What is the rest of your set up?

(You can come have a listen to mine...)

No, never heard an LP12 full stop!

Richard Allan A21/ Proac Tablette 10

Thanks for the offer I'll bear it in mind, although I struggle judging specific kit in a strange system hence chopping and changing so I can hear stuff here and get a better idea of what's going on.

If nothing else I can walk you thru the nomenclature of an LP 12 over a brew, but Peter at Cymbiosis, or any other knowledgable dealer etc would be able to help.

The 1975 model looks great.

I had an LP12 I bought in 1980 until a few years ago. The only upgrade I did was to fit a rewired Rega arm to replace the Basik. It played albums beautifully. If I was to get myself another, it would be one of the old models. I like the simplicity of them.

Jack

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Funny, I’d like to have a play with a mid-80s unmolested LP12 with Ittok too, but they seem to be relatively uncommon, and wildly overpriced.

In my book, the classic LP12 was with the original Ittok and Asak, with Valhalla power supply. The chances of finding an Asak which hasn't been worn down to a stump is remote, but many have been retipped. Avoid anything aftermarket if you want to full experience, so fluted Afro(r)mosia plinth with Cirkus is a must.
That should give you a clue about the 'magic' of an LP12, and then, if you like it, you can go from there. I've moved on a long way since then, or at least I think I have, but I'd quite like to try the old spec. again, just for nostalgia's sake.
My top tip for eBay - never buy an LP12 which is shipped in anything other than proper LP12 packaging, otherwise collect only.
The Cymbiosis recommendation up-thread is also a good one.

In my book, the classic LP12 was with the original Ittok and Asak, with Valhalla power supply. The chances of finding an Asak which hasn't been worn down to a stump is remote, but many have been retipped. Avoid anything aftermarket if you want to full experience, so fluted Afromosia plinth with Cirkus is a must.
That should give you a clue about the 'magic' of an LP12, and then, if you like it, you can go from there. I've moved on a long way since then, or at least I think I have, but I'd quite like to try the old spec. again, just for nostalgia's sake.
My top tip for eBay - never buy an LP12 which is shipped in anything other than proper LP12 packaging, otherwise collect only.
The Cymbiosis recommendation up-thread is also a good one.

Isn't that Pre-Cirkus? Cirkus was a 90's mod...

Probably - I think I might have bought a Cirkus at the same time as getting an Armageddon

Funny, I’d like to have a play with a mid-80s unmolested LP12 with Ittok too, but they seem to be relatively uncommon, and wildly overpriced.

One of my favourite sounds from my musical youth, was this and a well sorted mid price Naim system- lovely!

The definitive LP12 is 1980s pre Cirkus, Valhalla psu, Ittok or Akito. The cheap way to 95% of this is a Thorens TD 150 or 160. I'm not joking.

Aren't Regas and LP12s chalk and cheese? I'll be honest and say I've never got on with the various Regas I've owned, and I've had a few. So if an LP12 is anything at all similar I'm probably going to cross it off the list.
Yes they are. I've never heard a Rega that made me want to get up and boogie. The LP12 does, every time. Now whether you want to get up and boogie to Maria Callas or a string quartet is up to you, so maybe the difference is a matter of musical taste.

advertisement

Back