advertisement

White Album 50th

matt j

pfm Member
Have I missed the thread for this? If not what's people's thoughts?

I'm too young to have any decent Beatles releases, I bought the 50th Sgt Pepper's last year and it's ok, The White Album is my favourite of theirs though but I'm tempted to instead put the money towards a nice first pressing rather than this latest version.

What do we think?

I’m certainly interested in owning the 3CD version of this. One of my favourite Beatles albums but a remix from masters could do wonders (particularly for the drums). Of course it then all depends how much compression is used on the final mastering. Generally the Beatles re-releases are not brickwalled.

.sjb

Giles has previous when it comes to mastering music too loud (INXS, Sgt. Pepper's blu ray) so I'm going to wait till I hear the word on the web before ordering a copy myself.

42973399_267051737484891_2907973857976843496_n.jpg
Pro-Ject-2Xperience-The-Beatles-White-Album-03.jpg

50th White Turntable

Well I decided to go for the CD copy in the end and it arrived today. It sounds fantastic so far, really looking forward to the Esher disc.

So how is it compression wise?

Edit: as I don't have a turntable I'm more interested in the digital version. The analogplanet review doesn't like that. Makes me wonder.
Edit 2: I just looked at the price. I'm not that interested anymore.

So how is it compression wise?

Not bad. There’s obviously some compression, but a track like Julia opens up well with its beautifully double tracked vocals.

I’ve not compared this to the original mix, but it seems to sound better at both end of the spectrum.

I got the vinyl today. It sounds great, but more importantly it has made me really listen to this album again. There are some duds, obviously, (though even Bungalow Bill sounds good) but the good songs really stand out and sound as fresh as they did the first time heard them. It's a really nice package too.
I wonder if Giles Martin is going to work on Abbey Road?

I wonder if Giles Martin is going to work on Abbey Road?

I’d have thought so, I’m looking forward to that.

Apologies if it’s been linked to before, but there’s a YouTube video of Martin discussing the project. A bit long, and there’s the obligatory group discussion - none of whose members are old enough to have been alive in 68, but the first half hour is interesting...

advertisement

Back