advertisement

Speaker recommendation for Teddy Pardo amp

tef

Hi all,
Thinking of upgrading my Neat Motive 2 speakers. In my current setup I feel they might be the weakest link; TeddyPardo PR1, MB100's, Naim CDS3/TPXPS, Clearaudio Concept turntable with Ortofon 2M Bronze through Naim Stageline/dualTeddycap. Room is well treated 7x4 meters with high ceilings (3,5 meter). THey need to be positioned close to the wall (about 30 cm )
Any recommendation?? I have been considering; Neat Motive 1 and Spendor A7. I want to buy used. Max 1500 euro (that's double what I payed for my Neats). They need to be unobtrusive/slim floorstanders.
I want (of course) a serious upgrade in performance. I've been thinking that the Neats I own might be very capable speakers and that a serious jump in performance might not be possible (given my budgetary restrictions)?
I hope you can help.
Thanks!!

Hello tef, your setup is very similar to mine, I use Naim SL2's which are hard to find used these days but do work at their best as close to the back wall as possible.
I have also used the PR1 / MB100's with Shahinian Arcs to good effect - these are much less fussy on placement and within budget if you buy used.
If you are in the UK, look at the Kralk Audio site - they have a good selection of speakers and their outlook on the industry is very similar to Teddy's.
It will be interesting to see what you decide on!

Ron

Hello tef, your setup is very similar to mine, I use Naim SL2's which are hard to find used these days but do work at their best as close to the back wall as possible.
I have also used the PR1 / MB100's with Shahinian Arcs to good effect - these are much less fussy on placement and within budget if you buy used.
If you are in the UK, look at the Kralk Audio site - they have a good selection of speakers and their outlook on the industry is very similar to Teddy's.
It will be interesting to see what you decide on!

Ron

I was going to say the same thing as RBrinsdon. I have a similar set up to you except the Turntable and speakers. My Arcs work exceptionally well with the electronics you have.

Good luck
:):)

Thanks for the reply guys! I should have mentioned maybe that I listen to rock/alternative music mostly, no classical or jazz.

Thing is, neat unobtrusive floor standers = design compromises needed to make them neat and unobtrusive. Given your music tastes, perhaps integrating a subwoofer with what you already have might be something to think about?

Any other suggestions? the same question in the Naim FB group didn't get much answers either. Indicates that there's not a lot to gain imo.

I'm not into very big bass, I don't like the general idea of a subwoofer; one of the reasons I have floorstanders in the first place.

Does anyone have experience with the Specor A7?

I used to own a pair of Martin Logan ESLs and they sounded great driven by my TP amp. I sold them as they were too bassy although my room is a lot smaller than yours so ESLs might be the way to go.

I use Harbeth P3SERs with my TP MB100s and PR1 combo and absolutely love them, you can pick a preloved pair up for lest than £1k so well within budget

I use kudos s20a’s about that distance from the wall, and they’re very good, I’m selling mine but they’re a bit over that budget. If you can find some of the s20 non a version though you can get them for close to your budget and would be a big jump over those neats

They’re very engaging too, and work well with your music taste, def no need for sub either

The a7 has not been out long , might be hard to find a pair in your budget but hi fi corner are relocating and you never know ,they might cut you a deal

I use Harbeth P3SERs with my TP MB100s and PR1 combo and absolutely love them, you can pick a preloved pair up for lest than £1k so well within budget
lovely speaker , hopefully got a pair landing soon and hope to try them with several amps. Glad they work so well with yours

I’ve used Proac with Teddy gear for years and they work vety well together. I am just about to audition the SM 100 . Teddy also does his own speakers which apparently are very gpod

advertisement

Back