advertisement

[Poll] Music: Rent or Buy? (2018)

As a basic approach - Rent or Buy your music?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I hardly stream anything. There's a ridiculous amount of physical music available and I have no problem finding things I haven't heard before. I have a Squeezebox setup of ripped stuff which is good for background listening and random shuffled playlists, but otherwise it's physical media for me.

Tried the Spotify thing & got bored....

I find listening to some music that I have handled and own far more satisfying and pleasurable.

I am a newbie to this forum, but an old hi-fi buff. Like others I use Tidal to audition new music and buy if I like it a lot. I have to say, that I don’t find many new releases that I really like and there’s not a lot of new artists that take my fancy.

When I got my NAS about 8 years ago, I purchased a lot of second hand albums, ripped them to the NAS, then handed them back to the charity shop. I was recently considering an upgrade of my drives from 4gb to 6gb but decided to clear out a lot of albums that I don’t listen to and unlikely to do so in the future. I have put them on a couple of old drives and stored them away in case I changed my mind in the future.

Bill.

I doubt any of the cds I want to listen to are any where to be streamed as I am not a pop-head

You’d have to be very off-piste for one or more of Spotify, Tidal or Qobuz not to hold a large proportion of what you may want.

‘Pop’ is a fairly meaningless genre term, though chart toppers doubtless form the lion’s share of streaming traffic.

Qobuz has just about everything by Captain Beefheart. That will do . But I’d still rather listen to the vinyl, or at a pinch the CD

My position is still that I have no issue with streaming or "rent to play", but I'm still buying CDs and increasingly, more LPs (that "vinyls" for the yoof!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back