advertisement

Naim XPS2 vs Teddy XPS with Naim CDX2

Crazeenick

pfm Member
I have a Teddy Pardo XPS (TXPS) which I use with a Naim CDX2. I chose the TXPS over a Naim XPS2 partly for cost reasons and also after reading some glowing reports on the TXPS online.

Although I like what the TXPS does to the sound of the CDX2, I am still wondering what an XPS2 would sound like! If I preferred it to the TXPS I would be prepared to "upgrade"!

Can people who have tried both TXPS and XPS2 on a CDX2 (or other Naim CDP) please advise me on the differences and pros/cons.

I am based in Morecambe, Lancashire. Is there anyone out there with a CDX2 and XPS2 in Northern England who would like to compare with my TXPS to satisfy mutual curiosity? I am happy to drive to the other person's house with my TXPS for the experiment!

I would be interested in any comments or comparisons on TXPS with Naim XPS-DR and Naim 555-DR also!

Cheers,
Nick

My experience of TXps has not been on a CDX2 but on ND5 and on the Naim Dac.
In both cases I can only describe it as making the sound more sterile. I prefered both items without it. I was not fortunate to try anXPS.

A friend of mine had been trying TPXPS as far as one year ago
He was very happy at first as it gave more insight, more 3D but that lasted a couple of weeks as he returned it to the seller.Told me it spoiled the naim signature by over exposing mids and as a trade-off loosing prat .

Hello Crazeenick, I moved from an XPS2 / CDX2 to a TXPS and have never regretted it.

The NAIM "sound" did not really change too significantly with the TXPS until I replaced the 282 Pre with a Teddy PR1. As antonio1 says above, there is more detail and staging with the Teddy kit but it is less "in your face". When the 250.2 was switched for Teddy MB100's, the NAIM signature was totally lost. Overall there is still PRAT in abundance but it is more laid back - like being at a gig in good seats about 10 rows back rather than down in the moshpit.

It is no better or worse, just quite different in it's presentation. I had been a Naimee for about 20 or so years but am more than happy - I listen more these days rather than get out of my chair but the feet still tap enthusiastically.

The TeddyDAC is also a worthwhile investment and I now find that is my preferred source after vinyl with FLAC's through a dedicated laptop.

I've compared TXPS to XP5XS on my Naim DAC. I also changed my HiCap DR to TeddyCap on my SuperNait2. The difference between Teddy's PSU's and Naim PSU's is pretty much as described earlier in this and many other threads. Teddy sounds more relaxed, more open and spacious and with better details and more extended sound. Naim PSU's emphasize the signature Naim sound, which is fast forward, more aggressive and has awesome PRaT.

With TXPS and XP5XS, the choice was clear pretty quickly. XP5XS sounded slightly muffled and "fat" and had too much middle bass. HCDR and TeddyCap I compared for quite a long time before making a decision. Both are good but in different ways. What ultimately made me choose Teddy, was that with HCDR I lost too much on the recording. Bass didn't hit nearly as deep and the overall clarity was weaker. I've never been too much after the soundstage but Teddy makes the soundstage more open and spacious. What I slightly miss with certain music is the aggressive nature of HCDR.

I could never get over the Naim XPS/II price , to be quite honest . Once upon a time , only BMW could double in price when extras were added , but in hifi I find it too much to ask of the listener .
On a side note : I looked around for a second hand CDX2.2 with digital out , but it's so expensive ( and many are going ripped/recorded instead ) that my dealer said there aren't many out there . It's discontinued about now , I've heard too .

TXps vs xpsdr is not better or worse but different, txps is more mids calmer, xpsdr is more on your face , 555psdr is all different ball game

Mine own story is that I had a Naim CDX and after about a year got a Naim XPS for it, and very nice it was too.
I tried a TeddyXPS just to see what it might be like and sold the Naim XPS.
I now use a Roksan K3 as a CD transport into a TeddyDAC, without question this is much better than the Naim CDX and TeddyXPS.

Another TXPS with CDX2.2 here. It was a bit fit and forget for me. Initially unimpressed but seems to have settled in.

Sounds a lot better than Spotify but a good vinyl source can blow it away.

I've not tried the Naim XPS. Upgrade/Power Supply fatigue has taken over with other things demanding my cash.

Update;
I still have the Teddy XPS (TXPS) with my CDX2, but have now bought a second-hand Naim XPS2 to see how that sounds with the CDX2. When I have decided which I prefer, I will sell the other XPS.

My findings so far:
Both XPS units make a worthwhile improvement to the CDX2 with better sound stage and control. However, there is a definite difference in sound presentation between the TXPS and the XPS2. I find it hard to say which is "better" - I think it is down to individual taste, and other factors such as amplification/speakers/cables and listening room acoustics etc.

The XPS2 is more "in your face" with more bass.
The TXPS has a "lighter touch" with less bass, but gives superior detail and nuance in the music, especially in the mid-range. eg vocals and plucked strings sound more nuanced. Sound staging is superior to the XPS2.

I am leaning towards the TXPS, due to the superior detail and soundstaging. I am starting to think that the bass presentation with the TXPS is more "true" and that the Naim XPS2 is empahsising the bass a little too much - I note that other people on other forums have suggested this also.

Another advantage of the TXPS is that it does not need re-capping as the Naim XPS2 will do at some point.

If I sell the Naim XPS2 it will claw back more money than selling the TXPS would do......which will go down well with my other half !!

But I will make some further comparisons before making my final decision!

Mine own story is that I had a Naim CDX and after about a year got a Naim XPS for it, and very nice it was too.
I tried a TeddyXPS just to see what it might be like and sold the Naim XPS.
I now use a Roksan K3 as a CD transport into a TeddyDAC, without question this is much better than the Naim CDX and TeddyXPS.
I have noticed that everything you try sounds better(to you) then Naim.Lucky you.

Your findings are exactly the same as mine.

There's something on Naim though which Teddy's PSU's can't do. In-your-face aggressive nature of Naim sound signature is quite addicting but in my case Teddy's superior resolution, extension on both ends and more spacious soundstage won in the end. I use TXPS on my Naim DAC and also replaced my HiCap DR with TeddyCap later.

That's interesting Patu.

Anyone else try Teddy XPS versus Naim XPS2 or similar on their Naim CDP, DAC or streaming device?

I have now made my decision. I prefer the TXPS and am selling my Naim XPS2. I think the TXPS gives superior sound overall with my CDX2.

I have noticed that everything you try sounds better(to you) then Naim.Lucky you.
Yes. This whole thing is highly subjective and there is, IMHO, no one size fits all approach to any of this.
At each point that I tried the Teddy equivalent to Naim I prefered the Teddy kit. It was not always night & day but on balance that was my preference.
I'm sure there are others who prefer Naim at each point or some that like a mix of the two.
Vive la difference..

Hi guys,
I already have a TXPS on my CDX2.2 but I'm tempted to try a Naim XPS DR. Is there someone who compared both PSU and can let me clarified about the difference? I tested the difference between TCAP and HICAP DR. Are the difference between TXPS and XPS DR similar , less or more?
Thank you in advance ;)

Last edited:

advertisement

Back