advertisement

Hernia op recovery

gassor

There may be more posts after this.
Maybe I'm amazed. I can't believe how quickly I've recovered from open surgery in my groin area. This time yesterday I was still waiting for sedation and today I've walked a few miles and am not taking any pain killers. On top of that, I went 18 hours without food and lived to tell the tale, don't think I've ever missed breakfast and lunch before!

I had a double inguinal hernia op about 12 years ago. The surgeon recommended being as active as was comfortable as soon as I could. He also recommended eating a handful of dried fruit (figs, dates, prunes) everyday to keep you regular and promote soft poo. Top tip.

This is interesting for me at the moment. I was told by my doctor last week that I have an indirect inguinal hernia; I asked if I could continue to go on walks and play badminton and he said ‘yes’. And he said nothing about an operation either.

Perhaps he didn’t like me very much? :(

This is interesting for me at the moment. I was told by my doctor last week that I have an indirect inguinal hernia; I asked if I could continue to go on walks and play badminton and he said ‘yes’. And he said nothing about an operation either.

I’ve had one for a couple of years now (self-diagnosed, never seen a doctor about it.) It doesn’t stop me doing anything although I am a bit more careful in some areas (see Cav above) and I blame it for occasional pins and needles in one leg. Also I tend to hold it back if I get a sneezing fit, which can result in odd/reproachful looks.

Good to hear MB, the only problem I have with this situation is that it won’t just go away. Perhaps the hospital time is being used for more serious ops (and yes, I’m being serious)?

Maybe I'm amazed. I can't believe how quickly I've recovered from open surgery in my groin area. This time yesterday I was still waiting for sedation and today I've walked a few miles and am not taking any pain killers. On top of that, I went 18 hours without food and lived to tell the tale, don't think I've ever missed breakfast and lunch before!
Was it an open or a keyhole* repair Gassor?

*and before anyone says he just had to stand in his hallway while the guy did it from the other side of the front door..

Is that your racing bike for sale in the classifieds ?

Hope you get well soon....

Seems to be normal these days after almost any operation to be told to get up and about asap, take painkillers if you need them.

Maybe yours is not too bad. I had to push in the stomach wall regularly when it 'popped' out after being on my feet for any length of time. One thing though it will not get better without surgical intervention, all the same it might manageable if nothing is done. Consider a second opinion just for peace of mind if nothing else.

Was it an open or a keyhole* repair Gassor?

*and before anyone says he just had to stand in his hallway while the guy did it from the other side of the front door..

Dec I had open surgery at the new Queen Lizzie in Govan. The choice depends on the expertise of the surgeon and whether the patient has had the procedure before. If it has been done before it is more likely to be keyhole. I know someone who has worked with the surgeon I had and speaks very highly of him and he is an avid Rolex collector. Not sure about the last characteristic though!

PS the Faces cover is just great.

Dec I had open surgery at the new Queen Lizzie in Govan. The choice depends on the expertise of the surgeon and whether the patient has had the procedure before. If it has been done before it is more likely to be keyhole. I know someone who has worked with the surgeon I had and speaks very highly of him and he is an avid Rolex collector. Not sure about the last characteristic though!
I had one done (open with mesh) 14 years ago by an Irish surgeon who now works there- open procedure and very quick recovery. He said a tiny number ofpeople complain of severe pain afterward but they usually have particular personality issues. I’ve never looked back- it was making my life quite miserable before it was fixed I recall.

Did he check your ticker over or did he not have the time.

Bloss

Very good. He checked out the Steinhart Ocean One I wear. He flew to Switzerland to buy a new limited edition Rolex which he is confident will be worth many pennies more than he paid this time next year. He also has a 911. Total b*stard in other words!

Mine was done two years ago and it still feels like he left something down there. I can feel it every day especially when climbing or leg day at the gym.

advertisement

Back