advertisement

Wrist watch lovers?

All the Rolex stainless steel sports watches gain in price over time. Rolex control the numbers pretty strongly to hold the prices. Try walking into a shop and getting a Sub or Daytona.

Understand that but I would also have to include servicing cost. Rolex charge upwards of £500. Every five years?

Would you also insure such a watch separately? That would add to cost of ownership.

I would have one but really can't justify taking a long term loan out for such a luxury unfortunately.

Understand that but I would also have to include servicing cost. Rolex charge upwards of £500. Every five years?
You might get 10. My Seiko (cheap 7s26 movement) has run fairly continuously for nearly 6 years now and is unserviced. When it stops, that's it, it only stands me at £45 delivered. I shall buy another. I suspect that a Rolex goes up £50 a year if these things are important to you. My Alpinist probably has appreciated in the 5 years I've had it but I'm not selling so I don't care.

Rolex service for my Explorer 2 was under £500 and it's a 10 year thing. I paid £2250 in 2004, I think you can double that now. Very few things you buy will appreciate like those. Also, to call it a service is not doing it justice, it comes back mint.

Rolex service for my Explorer 2 was under £500 and it's a 10 year thing. I paid £2250 in 2004, I think you can double that now. Very few things you buy will appreciate like those. Also, to call it a service is not doing it justice, it comes back mint.
Agreed that 10 years is fine. Service on the GMT here in expensive Swizzieland is rather more than £500, but, as Steve says, it comes back mint. The first time that I had it done, I refused to believe that this was my watch! They'd even taken a dent out of the bracelet and polished the whole thing to such perfection that I almost felt the need to put on sunglasses to look at it.

I have a ORIS BC3 Date that is about 15 years old. It goes months sometimes years between uses - it has never put a "tick" wrong, when in use the time is accurate. My wife has an Oris BC pointer date - maybe about 6 years ago. She rarely wears it, and again it have never put a beat wrong.

So now we have a sample of 3, two work and one is troublesome.............
Pleased to hear it - I'd like our local watch company to deliver the goods!

Top tip. Buy a cheap watch and save up for the Rolex Explorer 2. You will never lose money on it. The others will reduce rapidly very quickly. The Rolex you will have for years and never regret it.
(Get an interest free loan from the jeweller and get the Explorer.)

A boxed 16610 LV 50th Anniversary Sub was sold for 20k a few months ago. I paid 3500 for mine. Thus I dare suggest it has smashed inflation but you've to sell it for the yield like most tangible assets ;) .... Shame I couldn't afford the entire stock. Rolex's model is the same as naim; annual price increases ripple onto the second hand markets. If so many people weren't obsessed, mainly the collectors I wouldn't be writing this post. The demand is huge and the prices reflect this, especially Submariners imo.

I watched a video about the Explorer 1 mk2 recently and the guy said something that resonated with me. I forget the exact quote but it's something along the lines of: There's not much to look at on the dial but somehow it just makes want to look. That's how I feel when I look at mine - considering there's not much to look at it's inexplicably easy to lose track of time looking at the dial all the same.

double and more if you have box, tags, papers etc..

3500 for my sub, Steve. Crazy looking at the prices now.

**Casts back several years** Sub talk ;) I never had you down as a Rolex owner, Steve, after those remarks made of me owning a sub!

I had mine serviced perhaps a tad late but opted out of polishing as it's said to depreciate value. The lugs don't lie but part of me wanted it polished. I wish to pass it down, for as much as possible. by which time it may buy someone a one bed apartment, outside of Hull!

For those who want to maintain the value of their collectible watches, do not allow Rolex or others to polish, change the dials or hands on your watch unless they are seriously damaged. It destroys the value of the watch. Collectors value originality and even patina (look at the ridiculous value put on 'tropicalized' dials).

The collector scene is rife with horror stories of how watch companies insist on replacing dials, hands, crowns, bezels and polishing the case when watches are returned for 'service'. This is a very controversial issue.

**Casts back several years** Sub talk ;) I never had you down as a Rolex owner, Steve, after those remarks made of me owning a sub!

I had mine serviced perhaps a tad late but opted out of polishing as it's said to depreciate value. The lugs don't lie but part of me wanted it polished. I wish to pass it down, for as much as possible. by which time it may buy someone a one bed apartment, outside of Hull!

I'm not sure I remember talking watches Pedro, I certainly like older Submariners, so most odd. The newer ranges are oversized and imo look rather vulgar, I'm not keen on any of those.

Nobody but a complete obsessive wants a wrecked bezel or scratched case. As long as correct vintage parts are used and the usual great care is taken, you will lose very little. If someone does a job on it without those factors all bets are off. There is a huge market for the watches outside of the nutters, that's why pre-owned prices are so strong.

So I went back to look at the Longines Conquest ... and fell in love for it again. Beautiful bracelet, case finishing, crown (especially so) and eminently legible. The case back is stunning with its deep engraving (I much prefer that to a see through back) and then there is the famous Longines emblem.

I tried the 41mm version but they have ordered me in a 39 too to compare. - Paid for it so just have to choose the size.

Wise choice. I owned an explorer mark 1 and it was a fine watch, but time keeping was poor. Tough and reliable though. When it came to an anniversary present for Mrs R, it was a Longines we chose and never regretted it. Great watches, less bling name, class without shouting.

I'm not sure I remember talking watches Pedro, I certainly like older Submariners, so most odd. The newer ranges are oversized and imo look rather vulgar, I'm not keen on any of those.

Nobody but a complete obsessive wants a wrecked bezel or scratched case. As long as correct vintage parts are used and the usual great care is taken, you will lose very little. If someone does a job on it without those factors all bets are off. There is a huge market for the watches outside of the nutters, that's why pre-owned prices are so strong.

It was a comment rather than a convo from memory. I agree, the new ones such as the all green Hulk are ugly AF. Tried them on and they look even worse although it could be my slim wrists. The batman GMT 2 looks much better on me ironically. I'd love an old sub, red dot etc but the prices are ridiculous and five, soon to be six figures for a battered military isn't my bag either but I'd love another such as the red one day in very good condition.

For those who want to maintain the value of their collectible watches, do not allow Rolex or others to polish, change the dials or hands on your watch unless they are seriously damaged. It destroys the value of the watch. Collectors value originality and even patina (look at the ridiculous value put on 'tropicalized' dials).

The collector scene is rife with horror stories of how watch companies insist on replacing dials, hands, crowns, bezels and polishing the case when watches are returned for 'service'. This is a very controversial issue.
It does tend to be a standard practice. I had become aware of the originality issue the last time I got the older (1972) GMT serviced, and I said to the guy at the service desk that I'd like to keep it as original as possible. "Well," he said, looking at it, "those hands aren't original!" They had been changed sometime in the dim, distant past. Good job I have no intention of parting with it.

I tried the 41mm version but they have ordered me in a 39 too to compare. - Paid for it so just have to choose the size.

Enjoy the new watch. I despair with some of the detractors, its your choice and your money so just enjoy.

Good luck

:):)

Enjoy the new watch. I despair with some of the detractors, its your choice and your money so just enjoy.

Good luck

:):)

Thank you.

I did ask for opinions so expected some alternative advise.

If the Rolex was £2.5k or even three, I may have considered it. Even then, that much money for a wrist watch seems a lot. £6k is, for me at least, out of reach though I also understand the argument about residual values. - My problem is that I am not really a collector and just want a couple of nice watches to wear.

May also get a Hamilton Khaki King as a daily wear.

That's two decent pieces for around £1200 all in which will last year's and years.

advertisement

Back